• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85 Left Hand Control assembly (turn signal button broken)

grapaslingo

Just got it firing!
Hi all,

Hoping someone might be able to assist. I broke my turn signal button—not sure how yet, but it’s just flopping around instead of staying in place. I need to get the assembly cover off so I can see what’s going on.

I was able to get the back cover of the assembly removed, but there are two screws I can’t seem to remove. They are pretty hard to reach, and the hex tools I’ve tried so far don’t seem to be working. Has anyone else removed this successfully?

I added a picture from the service manual that shows the location of these screws.

Attachments

• FB529D75-246D-4289-9746-AA41D463D02F.png
    FB529D75-246D-4289-9746-AA41D463D02F.png
    210.3 KB · Views: 21
Hi all,

Hoping someone might be able to assist. I broke my turn signal button—not sure how yet, but it’s just flopping around instead of staying in place. I need to get the assembly cover off so I can see what’s going on.

I was able to get the back cover of the assembly removed, but there are two screws I can’t seem to remove. They are pretty hard to reach, and the hex tools I’ve tried so far don’t seem to be working. Has anyone else removed this successfully?

I added a picture from the service manual that shows the location of these screws.
They look like allen/hex - are they metric or imperial (just asking as bike is European and you are in US)

Thanks, I’ll ensure that I have a good metric set just in case. I’ll report back later on if that was it.

The switch gear used is pretty delicate. Save yourself time and aggrivation and just order a new switch assembly.

Thanks—but I still want to see what I can do, and I’ll feel better if I can just take the cover off to have a peek. The switch assembly is over $150.00, so I’m hoping there’s some…hope.

But I cannot figure out how to remove these screws. And even if I get the switch assembly, I still have to get them out. I just bought metric Allen wrenches but nothing is fitting correctly. Really weird.

Here’s the pic I took with the screws in question.

Attachments

• 77D9734F-8A0B-473C-A98B-26622223B3BA.jpeg
    77D9734F-8A0B-473C-A98B-26622223B3BA.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 18
Thanks—but I still want to see what I can do, and I’ll feel better if I can just take the cover off to have a peek. The switch assembly is over $150.00, so I’m hoping there’s some…hope.

But I cannot figure out how to remove these screws. And even if I get the switch assembly, I still have to get them out. I just bought metric Allen wrenches but nothing is fitting correctly. Really weird.

Here’s the pic I took with the screws in question.
They look a bit damaged. Did you round them off with the wrong size wrench?

Success! Sort of. They *were* star ones—I just couldn’t tell with the terrible lighting. I was able to unscrew them…but I still can’t get the plate to come off. Checking to see if there is another screw I can’t see.

Alright, I’ll stop giving play by play after this. I was able to loosen the whole assembly enough to pull it off. Now I’ll see if I can figure out how to remove the front cover.

Attachments

• E79C48D8-01A0-42AE-BFC1-D1708D40BFFC.jpeg
    E79C48D8-01A0-42AE-BFC1-D1708D40BFFC.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 598DC3A0-CA44-48AC-99E0-0FF20A4CDFE9.jpeg
    598DC3A0-CA44-48AC-99E0-0FF20A4CDFE9.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 10
Alright, I’ll stop giving play by play after this. I was able to loosen the whole assembly enough to pull it off. Now I’ll see if I can figure out how to remove the front cover.
If all else fails. amazon.com/Damaged-Stripped-Extractor-Remover-Broken/dp/B0883575ZJ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2EEQL6RWPOSW&keywords=screw+extractor+set&qid=1662345137&sprefix=screw+extractor%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-4

Thanks. I was able to get everything apart and have a look at the problem. The button is held on by two little plastic tabs that sit in slots on the top and bottom. The unit slides left and right on these hinges, with a spring for the center post (to push in to turn the signal off). The top hinge had snapped off, which explained why it was flopping around.

So, after I steam and pout about it, I’m going to stare at it for awhile if I can macguyver something to hold it in place. I’ll pay for the whole assembly only if I absolutely have to. I’m too stubborn to pay that much money for something like this.

I regret to say that I predict frustration and aggravation from that course of action.

Motorcycles are an expensive toy.

If you aren’t prepared to pay, then it makes it difficult to play.
Fair enough—I will if I absolutely have to. We’ll see. I was able to glue the tab on; we’ll see tomorrow if it holds.

Attachments

• 1EA4D809-0A8A-428A-A73F-16390C5C7AC2.jpeg
    1EA4D809-0A8A-428A-A73F-16390C5C7AC2.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 8
  • FBEEF1B9-46B2-4CF4-82DB-6B2F8CC0F9C6.jpeg
    FBEEF1B9-46B2-4CF4-82DB-6B2F8CC0F9C6.jpeg
    34.7 KB · Views: 9
Even if the glue holds, it will only be temporary. That type of repair never lasts.
Yep—it didn’t hold at all. As soon as I reinserted the button, the tab broke off. But I found that by stretching the spring slightly that it seems to help hold the button more in place. It seems to be ok for now, it will just be less smooth than it’s supposed to be with only one hinge point.

I’ll eventually have to replace it, but I’ll wait until it completely fails or one of the other buttons on the control breaks down.

And I thought I was cheap!
Man, I don’t get that at all. You have to pay for the whole assembly, which costs more than $150. How am I cheap by trying to fix one button? I find it crazy that you guys wouldn’t also at least make the attempt. If I could buy the whole button by itself for $5 or $10 bucks I would. But replacing an *entire* assembly for a floppy button seems insane to me…at least without trying to fix it.

Back