• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT clutch slack adjust

Calvin Cran

Tuned and Synch'ed
My 21 Centenario has a hard time finding neutral in the first 5 minutes of riding. I can adjust the cable in and out and it makes no difference to the problem. After 5 minute it slips into neutral like butter but not before that!

since we are talking about shifting and clutches. My 21 Centenario has a hard time finding neutral in the first 5 minutes of riding. I can adjust the cable in and out and it makes no difference to the problem. After 5 minute it slips into neutral like butter but not before that!
My rental fleet Guzzis had a "cold" motor adjust, and a "hot" motor adjust. 95% of the time the bikes returned with the clutch cable guitar string tight, despite repeated mention of required adjustment when they left. Those 95% complained of hard shifting and tough to find neutral.
I find it very hard to believe that clutch adjustment when cold makes no difference. Of the dozens of bikes we've serviced at my workshop, they all react to cold adjust.

Thanks If you can move the post I would appreciate it as I still am not sure about what you are saying here about the tight cable. I start with the cable adjusted according to the manual.

I still am not sure about what you are saying here about the tight cable. I start with the cable adjusted according to the manual.
What part of what I wrote is unintelligible?

I guess the whole answer :) So what you are saying is the cold motor needs to be slack because when the motor warms up the cable will become tighter?
There is a cold set, and a hot set. But you are saying that when cold no range of adjustment makes a difference?

It will be worse with more. I have found that the best way to measure free play is using an 80 thousands thick drill bit. Going up to 100 thousands and the V7III won't find neutral period and the V85 is really hard. Are you using the correct weight oil?

Unless you make a fix on the little arm that holds the adjuster in place you'll find your clutch will adjust itself in short order again.
I ended up fastening a zip tie lightly to hold the little spring arm in place and haven't had trouble since.

Here's a picture of the adjuster before I put the zip tie in place, you can see that it doesn't even touch. I used the zip tie around the threaded part of the clutch adjuster and the spring lever, not too tight but just enough to make it touch.

Just had a snapped cable on my 2022 V85 after 2200mls. I suspect the nipple was not moving freely in the lever and was therefore bending the cable each time the clutch was operated.

Just had a snapped cable on my 2022 V85 after 2200mls. I suspect the nipple was not moving freely in the lever and was therefore bending the cable each time the clutch was operated.
Thanks for posting. I'll start stocking these, and I'll test the old style adjuster and lock nut. Why they try to reinvent the wheel is a head-scratcher. I do realize it's the same they use on the Aprilias.

I've not had one of these to work on yet, and was curious if they do or do not utilize a plastic bushing on the barrel end of the cable?

Many motorcycle manufacturers went to this design to facilitate smooth rotation of the barrel within the moving lever. If Moto Guzzi did not, then to me, that would be a grease point for sure.

I would remove the lever and the barrel from it, cover it with Moly grease with my fingers, and then reinstall it into the lever and back onto the handlebars. That way, you are sure to have a smooth rotation of the barrel without stressing the cable attached to it.

Just a friendly suggestion. :)

I've not had one of these to work on yet, and was curious if they do or do not utilize a plastic bushing on the barrel end of the cable?

Many motorcycle manufacturers went to this design to facilitate smooth rotation of the barrel within the moving lever. If Moto Guzzi did not, then to me, that would be a grease point for sure.

I would remove the lever and the barrel from it, cover it with Moly grease with my fingers, and then reinstall it into the lever and back onto the handlebars. That way, you are sure to have a smooth rotation of the barrel without stressing the cable attached to it.

Just a friendly suggestion. :)
I've never greased that point on any bike. Grease will trap dirt which creates a whole new problem.

I've never greased that point on any bike. Grease will trap dirt which creates a whole new problem.

Never had dirt get up in there but point taken. I prefer the teflon/plastic sleeves but I don't know how this particular setup is as I've never had one in my workshop.

I guess, a shot of silicon lubricant now and then might be a better choice as John has a point.

Back