• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V85TT E4 vs E5

aju

Just got it firing!
Hi all,

I'm seriously considering the purchase of a V85TT. There is a used '20 (E4) with about 1000 miles on it, and a brand new '21 (E5) locally. Price differential isn't inconsequential at about $2,500. I wanted to get your opinions on how much the E5 enhancements are worth, and what the value of a factory warranty is (I'm not sure whether there is any factory warranty left on the '20 and the dealer selling it is not a Guzzi dealer but is offering a 90 day warranty and they "service anything they sell"). I am inclined to do servicing myself.

Thanks

I own a 2021 so may be biased. The custom mode on the E5 is nice, I have mine set for no ABS and no traction control, so I can toggle to it in a second or two. Just used that today coming out of a very steep river valley on a deep gravel road full of deep corrugations. Tubless rims are nice even though flats are not everyday occurrences but they do happen.
Careful with service what we sell, if they are not a Guzzi dealer they will not have the diagnostic soft ware. Regular fluid changes and valve adjustments are user friendly on both models. A new bike here in Canada has a 2 year warranty, but I feel Ill never need it , I am 1 year into ownership on July 1

Several subtle differences/improvements for 2021;
1. Tubeless tires
2. Gear position indicator follows gearbox position whether the bike is moving or stationary and whether or not the clutch is engaged.
3. More ride modes (and custom mode as noted above) to better tailor ABS/traction control/throttle response to conditions.
4. Supposedly E5 has a bit more low end torque, but I have not ridden a 2020 so cannot judge.
5. Two-year warranty in USA on new bike. Unlikely that much warranty is left on 2020 (check in-service date with Moto Guzzi to be sure).

I looked at a new 2020 and liked the bike, but tubeless tires were the deciding factor for me. I could have had tubeless wheels/tires added to the 2020 for about the same total cost as a 2021, but really wanted the Centenario and was fortunate to find one. I found out about the other differences later. I do use the custom ride mode sometimes for off-road riding (have different settings than the standard off-road setting).

I'm quite pleased with my 2020 and at this point would not pay an extra $2500 for the newer model. The tubeless wheels are worth it to me and it looks like they're about $1100 to buy new with about an 8-week wait.

Thanks, all. I'm slowly getting more information (Piaggio was surprisingly forthcoming) about the used bike. The warranty extends until September of 23, which is good, but it has an open warranty claim, something about the flywheel and not charging. Trying to get more info on this from the dealer.

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering the purchase of a V85TT. There is a used '20 (E4) with about 1000 miles on it, and a brand new '21 (E5) locally. Price differential isn't inconsequential at about $2,500. I wanted to get your opinions on how much the E5 enhancements are worth, and what the value of a factory warranty is (I'm not sure whether there is any factory warranty left on the '20 and the dealer selling it is not a Guzzi dealer but is offering a 90 day warranty and they "service anything they sell"). I am inclined to do servicing myself.

Thanks

Let me add my 2 cents worth here.

You are contemplating buying a Moto Guzzi motorcycle, with outstanding unresolved warranty issues. Why were these not taken care of is my first question. The selling shop is not a Moto Guzzi dealer, and they cannot do the repairs. If you hadn't checked, you most likely would not have known about them at all!

The upgrades to the E5 spec bike in and of themselves, are worth the additional money to me. However, the real advantage of the new E5 unit is multi-aspect. You get the improvements, you get the warranty (worth $2500 over the 2 years, easily), and you get a solid, iron-clad "I am a paying customer, treat me well" relationship with your new dealer. The value of being acknowledged as a good paying customer, cannot be over emphasised. It extends way beyond the warranty period and it has tremendous value and leverage. You will be considered important and have clout should you need help or assistance in any way. I would make a point of meeting the owner and letting them know that you are actively making this choice because YOU VALUE your dealer relationship!

Unfortunately, the odds are, that you will have some nagging glitches and little bugs to work out, and your dealer will be there to support you because you supported them! I hope that you will not have any major issues but again, you will have set the foundation and stacked the cards in your favor, should the need arise!

To me, it's not even a choice. It's the new E5 unit, all the way.

Best wishes!

Last edited:
On the update, the dealer who sold the used bike (which also happens to be the dealer I would purchase new from) did complete the warranty work (stator replacement), but didn't update the system yet. He shared with me the history of the prior owner and the bike and when I told him about the differential, he immediately told me to go with the used one and bring it to them for any warranty or other service needs I have. That's the way I'm going to move forward. Thanks, all!

Thanks, all. I'm slowly getting more information (Piaggio was surprisingly forthcoming) about the used bike. The warranty extends until September of 23, which is good, but it has an open warranty claim, something about the flywheel and not charging. Trying to get more info on this from the dealer.

"flywheel issue"? Did you find out about this?

Back