• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Washed Bike Now Won't Start

Guzzi_Lou

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Washed the bike today (as I've done a couple of times before) and went to start it later in the day and it won't turn over. I took the battery cover off and put it on the Battery Tender for a couple of hours just in case ... showing 12.3V now and still no-go.

I can hear it clicking when hitting the starter.

Looked at the 30 & 40 amp fuses there under the seat and they're not burnt out ... a bit of water may have gotten inside there as I did notice a bit when taking the seat off to dry the bike.

I should also point out that I had the bike at the shop on Fri for an oil change and an ECU update (awesome update btw!), but rode it since a few times so figured it's gotta be the wash.

Any ideas?

For as long as I can remember, Guzzi's don't do well when hosed down. Water intrusion gets to some critical components as you're seeing. It doesn't help now, but it's why I developed my Rinseless cleaners; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-modern-cleaning-products/

Once your bike dries out, it will start again. Been there many times over the last decade and a half.

I checked mine and the voltage is 12.3, before cranking with the key turned to 'On'. (It stays on a tender).

Do you hear the solenoid click when pressing the start button?

Hope you're right Todd as I just tried again this morning and nothing.

Quattroa, that's ALL I hear is the solenoid click. No messages on display, lights still come on. All seems normal, just won't start.

I have also had this happen but not on my Norge due to I don't use water anymore or very little when needed. What I did was to get my yard blower on low and took my seat off, then put air on all the wiring and anything that looked wet. Left the bike open and in the sun for a couple of hours and she started right up. Good luck.

If I can't hose off my bike it is not going to get cleaned. Every motorcycle I have ever had has been hosed off regularly. I live in Ohio and if it rains the bike will be covered in dirt that I am not going to spend hours removing. Unlike California it happens often up here. The bike gets S100, a quick sponging, then a hose off. The day the Guzzi does that will be a few days before I sell it. I understand not blasting the switch gear but if a 2014 motorcycle can't take a hosing they have a problem.

I guess these are the "quirks" people talk about, lol.

If it starts back up again after drying out I'll have to alter my cleaning routine and start covering some areas with a cut up plastic bag starting with the area under the seat.

Fingers crossed I don't need to have it trailered to the dealer.

I "wash" mine with Honda Polish (yea, I know, Honda Polish on a Guzzi seems wrong). If you wash it with a hose, be careful not to get the important electric bits wet. Sometimes things are more Water resistant than water proof.
If you actually measure the battery with a meter it should read 12.65 or near about. If it is below a certain level the bike won't start. The read out on the dash is not exact, and while it can be used to compare one reading to another it is not the best for knowing the actual voltage at the battery. What it is more like is knowing the voltage at the ECU. While that is not a bad thing it is not the same thing.
But I hope Todd is right and you just got water somewhere it should not be. Hopefully once it drys out it will start.

I'm gonna assume it's the stream from the hose sideways at the bike that is doing this but yeah you never know.

Still dead as of last night but it's been humid here too.

I question the 12.3v. I would try jumping it from another vehicle and see if it starts. It seems to me the 1400 is very sensitive to battery voltage. Also try putting a good jumper cable from the negative on the battery to a good ground on the bike like an engine mount bolt. If you are getting a clicking maybe the notorious ground connection behind the starter corroded that last little bit when it got wet. Check the positive wire on the starter as mine came loose.

If the battery truly only has 12.3 volts it ain't gonna start. But that reading may be from the dash, in which case it is not as meaningful and actually checking the voltage at the battery would be a good idea.

12.93 at the battery after unplugging the battery tender (which was green meaning fully charged) while the dash showed 12.4 and still no start.

It may not be until the wkend when I can get around to blowing some warm air from a heat gun on low from a distance into the under-seat area and taking the side panels off and doing the same.

Can anyone tell me which panel(s) the dealer would've removed to flash the ECU? Similarly, are there any removed to change the oil? I rode the bike several times after that work was done so doubt that's it but I'd like to check up on their work regardless.

Thx all!!

12.93 at the battery after unplugging the battery tender (which was green meaning fully charged) while the dash showed 12.4 and still no start.

It may not be until the wkend when I can get around to blowing some warm air from a heat gun on low from a distance into the under-seat area and taking the side panels off and doing the same.

Can anyone tell me which panel(s) the dealer would've removed to flash the ECU? Similarly, are there any removed to change the oil? I rode the bike several times after that work was done so doubt that's it but I'd like to check up on their work regardless.

Thx all!!

Guzzi_Lou:
Neither of the side panels would have needed to have been removed for the work you describe. The ECU is under the battery cover, up and behind the battery. It's about 4x6 inches and made of aluminum. It has two large plugs into it with thick water seals.
Changing the oil has nothing to do with the side covers. All the work is under the engine or forward on the left side of the bike.
All that said, many of the relays and fuses are hidden under the right side cover and beside the battery on the right side. More lie under the tank toward the rear attachment bolt. That right side panel is where you need to concentrate your efforts.
All the connections are sealed and/or shrink wrapped, I'm betting the starter solenoid or the connections at the starter are the issue.
One last thing...the roll over "switch" is located in various locations in that area depending on the bike. It is designed to shut down the engine if you lay the bike down. It is a small, 1/2 inch square "box" with a plug and a metal mounting tab. Make sure that didn't get wet.
Good Luck
Kirk

Back