• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

I am also on the list of red triangle issue trying to register keys

BayareaEMT

Tuned and Synch'ed
I picked up my 2014 California 1400 last week. Bike came with only one original key and I have the user code as well. I found shared maintenance code of 34534 for California 1400.

I got two new blanks from Moto Guzzi dealer which my local locksmith cut and both can turn on ignition. However when I tried following instructions I found on forum, I ended up with red triangle on dash. Only original key works without code but still shows me key symbol upon inserting it. Other two keys only starts the bike if I enter the user code.

Following is what I did:

1) Original key ignition on
2) Went to MENU >> Service (Entered service code >> Change Keys
3) Entered user code
4) Now it showed me Key 1
5) I turned off ignition and removed original key
6) I inserted original key and turned on ignition
7) 2-3 seconds later it showed Key 2
8) I removed Original Key and inserted Key 2
9) Turned ignition ON and then OFF
10) It never asked me to insert 3rd key. Plus at the end of countdown of 20 seconds it gave me red triangle.

I also tried same steps from step6) through 9) above by starting with other keys followed by original keys but no luck.

What am I doing wrong? Nearest dealer is like 60 miles away for me but if that is the only choice then I will go there.

I also disconnected battery for 10 minutes assuming it will clear red triangle but it didn't :-(

Last edited:
Are the new keys chipped? If they are just plain blanks without the chip inside they will not work without the code.

Yes new keys are chipped and I bought those from MG dealer. Parts guy said get it cut at locksmith and then those need to be programmed by service dept. I read on forum about service code and decided to avoid $160 charge to get keys coded plus 60 miles each way trip to that dealer.

It was Saturday when I was there to buy keys and the locksmith they work with nearby was closed otherwise I could have done everything that day.

Not sure if there is any other way to reset that red triangle. I ordered KCAN and Fiat 3 pin connector cables to see if I can get GuzziDiag going once those arrive by this Friday.

Last edited:
It's the user code that you use for the keys not the service code.

I don't know if you read my steps with details. I do have user code and I do have service code both.

To get to Keys Programming I had to first enter service code and then I get a menu to Change Keys that is when I enter user code.

For now I called Munroe Motors in San Francisco and scheduled appointment this Saturday.

I will see if any suggestions here that help me otherwise dealer is the last resort for me.

Can someone here DM me to help out with GuuziDiag setup? I couldn't find anything on forum about it except for the post from GTM mentioning why not supporting such posts.

Plus at the end of countdown of 20 seconds it gave me red triangle.

I also tried same steps from step6) through 9) above by starting with other keys followed by original keys but no luck.

What am I doing wrong? Nearest dealer is like 60 miles away for me but if that is the only choice then I will go there.

I also disconnected battery for 10 minutes assuming it will clear red triangle but it didn't :-(

Read my first post here regarding this problem:

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/user-code-screw-up.17453/

THEN, read my last post disregarding all suggestions in between from everyone here being helpful. I do not think they did not fully understood my problem then, and possibly do not fully understand your problem now.

If you think you are where I was with the red triangle, the solution I found was the only one.

• Dealers do not seem to know how to "reboot" the dash computer.
  • Regional reps for Moto Guzzi do not seem to know how to "reboot" the dash computer.
  • Moto Guzzi (the mother ship) does not seem to know how to "reboot" the dash computer.
In fact, Moto Guzzi does not manufacture the dash on the California 1400, nor do they program it. A third party vendor supplies the dash assembly for the factory and that vendor does not seem to share proprietary information with Moto Guzzi.

You may not be without hope.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave. I did read back your post and followed thoroughly now.

I wish I would have known earlier and would not have attempted that procedure. I was just trying to the hassle for entering code for 2nd and 3rd key every time I use those. Lessons learned. Hopefully Munroe Motors in San Francisco has ability to fix my situation otherwise I will follow the route you suggested.

I will update after this weekend once I visit. They had said $160 basic diagnostics and reset charge but if they need any part or item to address then those will be extra. I just hope that it stays at $160

Thanks Dave. I did read back your post and followed thoroughly now.

I wish I would have known earlier and would not have attempted that procedure. I was just trying to the hassle for entering code for 2nd and 3rd key every time I use those. Lessons learned. Hopefully Munroe Motors in San Francisco has ability to fix my situation otherwise I will follow the route you suggested.

I will update after this weekend once I visit. They had said $160 basic diagnostics and reset charge but if they need any part or item to address then those will be extra. I just hope that it stays at $160

Yeah, sounds pretty much like how I had started and the eventual problems I had.

With luck, your dealer will be wiser than the ones I dealt with and be able to help. Best of luck!

@roadventure Below is the update.

I took my Cal1400 to Munroe Motors in SF last Saturday. They tried for 3-4 hours but couldn't fix the problem and Brian who is the only mechanic there who specializes in Moto Guzzi said he will need to reach out to Moto Guzzi tech at corporate level as next step. I will be called once they get the info on how to reset properly and learn keys.

He informed me that two additonal keys I cut are completely fine but something in dash is causing issue in trying to program. Even if he clears the code, it clears only temporarily and red triangle returns back as soon as original or additional key is inserted again.

I hope that they find an answer soon but at this moment as the problem causes me not to see important info in dash once bike starts as only key symbol stays there. I can't see odometer, trip meter and lot of other info once bike starts moving. While at stand still I can use multifunction button to toggle through menus but once I start moving (not sure at what speed, mayb over 10+ mph) only key symbol stays there. Another pain for me is that dealer is nearly 60 miles away each way for me.

@roadventure Below is the update.

I hope that they find an answer soon but at this moment as the problem causes me not to see important info in dash once bike starts as only key symbol stays there. I can't see odometer, trip meter and lot of other info once bike starts moving. While at stand still I can use multifunction button to toggle through menus but once I start moving (not sure at what speed, maybe over 10+ mph) only key symbol stays there. Another pain for me is that dealer is nearly 60 miles away each way for me.

Sadly, this sounds all too familiar. It looks like you are going down the exact same road I did.

• dealer tries, but doesn't have any success
  • dealer orders new dash to install thinking THIS will fix it.
  • new dash acts same as original dash
  • dealer continues, but fails, to solve problem
  • Moto Guzzi does not have a solution
You finally decide your dealer doesn't have a clue on what to do. You then decide that Moto Guzzi doesn't have a clue on what to do. Then you contact Carmo Electronics in the Netherlands. You pay up and they solve your problem.

I am hopeful that you will have a different, less expensive solution. But, at some point you might just want to get your dash functioning the way you know it should.

@roadventure

Dave, what are the items that will be needed to be sent to Carmo Electronics? Dash, ECU and all Keys I guess? Do you know the turn around time line it took in your case? I need to plan as I wouldn't be able to ride for that long.

I will plan for that if Moto Guzzi is not successful at all. At this point I want to see what they can do.

@roadventure

Dave, what are the items that will be needed to be sent to Carmo Electronics? Dash, ECU and all Keys I guess? Do you know the turn around time line it took in your case? I need to plan as I wouldn't be able to ride for that long.

I will plan for that if Moto Guzzi is not successful at all. At this point I want to see what they can do.

My experience was that I sent the dash assembly (remove a few screws and unplug from wire harness) and both ignition keys.

If you want to contact me via e-mail (road_venture@yahoo.com) I can provide a link to the specific page on their website. Todd is sensitive about us posting links here. So, to respect his site, contact me at my e-mail.

Just so that it will be helpful to other users in future.

Please do not attempt the steps to program keys even though you have correct set of keys. I tried and got red triangle and stuck with it.

So far Moto Guzzi dealer is unable to fix the issue as well and waiting on some tech. to join them remotely from Italy. Don't have any ETA yet on when that will happen. Thanks to @roadventure that there is a light at the end of the tunnel for me by sending Dash and Keys to Carmo Electronics.

Just so that it will be helpful to other users in future.

Please do not attempt the steps to program keys even though you have correct set of keys. I tried and got red triangle and stuck with it.

So far Moto Guzzi dealer is unable to fix the issue as well and waiting on some tech. to join them remotely from Italy. Don't have any ETA yet on when that will happen. Thanks to @roadventure that there is a light at the end of the tunnel for me by sending Dash and Keys to Carmo Electronics.
I looked a bit closer to specifics regarding your situation, as I also went through the red triangle situation awhile back, when trying to program spare keys.
When you perform the Change Keys procedure, a new code is programmed into all keys that you insert in the ignition during the procedure. Any other keys that were previously programmed to the bike will no longer work. (Actually, they will work, but only after entering the User Code, when prompted.)

The red triangle is a normal reaction from the instrument panel when only one key is programmed to the bike. Prior to your initiating the Change Keys procedure, 2 keys or more were programmed to your bike, although you only had one key. It seems that the system failed to program your second key, which triggered the red triangle, as your original key was reprogrammed with a new code (making it the only programmed key, now).
Also, if the User Code is 00000, the procedure will not work, according to the service manual. Seeing as the instrument cluster started to go through the programming procedure, I assume that the User Code isn't the problem.
It seems to me your problem is possibly with the new keys. Did you verify that they were the correct part number for your bike? I saw something on AF1 Racing's website about model year part number changes, so it may be worth double-checking this. Seeing as your original key was successfully programmed, and the system seemed to stop working with the next (new) key you inserted, I would think the problem lies in the new keys. Maybe try initiating the whole procedure using one of the new keys (you will have to enter the User Code when prompted), and see if it fails to program that key.

I hope this helps.

I looked a bit closer to specifics regarding your situation, as I also went through the red triangle situation awhile back, when trying to program spare keys.
When you perform the Change Keys procedure, a new code is programmed into all keys that you insert in the ignition during the procedure. Any other keys that were previously programmed to the bike will no longer work. (Actually, they will work, but only after entering the User Code, when prompted.)

The red triangle is a normal reaction from the instrument panel when only one key is programmed to the bike. Prior to your initiating the Change Keys procedure, 2 keys or more were programmed to your bike, although you only had one key. It seems that the system failed to program your second key, which triggered the red triangle, as your original key was reprogrammed with a new code (making it the only programmed key, now).
Also, if the User Code is 00000, the procedure will not work, according to the service manual. Seeing as the instrument cluster started to go through the programming procedure, I assume that the User Code isn't the problem.
It seems to me your problem is possibly with the new keys. Did you verify that they were the correct part number for your bike? I saw something on AF1 Racing's website about model year part number changes, so it may be worth double-checking this. Seeing as your original key was successfully programmed, and the system seemed to stop working with the next (new) key you inserted, I would think the problem lies in the new keys. Maybe try initiating the whole procedure using one of the new keys (you will have to enter the User Code when prompted), and see if it fails to program that key.

I hope this helps.
@FrankZ

I got two keys from Moto Guzzi dealer and they verified that keys are correct part number (Guzzi SKU: 2D000004). My two trips to get rid of red triangle has gone nowhere near fixing the issue.

As of now dealer is waiting on Piaggio corp to make a decision. I am being told that Piaggio will have to cover new Dash and set of keys under warranty but not sure what they will decide considering bike is out of warranty.

I also showed them an option of Carmo electronics in NL as mentioned by @roadventure but I don't think they want to go 3rd party route at all.

Good part is that dealer sales rep had promised a second working key as part of my deal. I just hope that everything gets sorted eventually and I don't end up forking out money.

Last edited:
Back