• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Breva 1200

macguzzy

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hello All from the depths of boonie Scotland.

After years on cruiser bikes I'v got a notion for a road bike and have been offered a 1200 Breva. I've had Cali's in the past and this is big move for me. I've read the nightmare stories about this breaking and that falling off but is that reality? What are they like for every day use? I intend touring, so what are they like for that. I'm loking for any information to help me make up my mind, I'm also looking at the Vstrom 1000 but it seems rather bland.....Any help would be great.

Cheers

Jock

Hi Mac

I've very recently purchased a Breva 1200 (not the sport - the 1200 Breva isn't sold in the U.S.) and am very happy with it. I sold an Aprilia RST1000 Futura (fabulous bike, but not without issues) and have found that the Guzzi isn't quite as sprightly as the Fut, but it handles really nicely with the panniers and a top box on - bags of torque and although the engine is still tight, fairly good consumption which will only get better I think.
The bike is well built with some really nice touches - get the heated grips :p but watch out for some poor dealers out there.

I'm heading up to your neck of the woods at the end of May for a long weekend staying at Fort Augustus and heading up around the "top" so will let you know what it's like on a 450 mile slog.

I think I made a good decision - give it a go, you only live once! :whistle:

My 2008 Breva 1100 gives me lots of pleasure. 23000 km now and still going strong. Just the bolt of the centrestand came loose once. My dash doesn't leak, no red triangle warnings, no flat battery after a loooonngg winter.... sorry a bit boaring.
Average fuel consumption 1 litre on 17.94 km last vacation in Norway and no oilconsumption in 6000 kms. Came back from Goteborg almost 1100 km in one day and I survived due to the upright position on the bike.

On a dutch forum I know a guy who is using the Breva every day as his main transport. He's very happy with it and can compare it with a Yamaha FJR and BMW, because he rides those for his job (police... :evil: )
When you read fora about other brands, you'll find also a lot of "problems" with other bikes.

I think as mentioned above a dealer who knows Guzzi, is also very important.

Good luck with your decision... Dolf.

Thanks for all the replys, just so you know its a 1200 Breva not the sport which I belive is a Norge without the fairing (or so I've read somewhere)

Geordie - I'm getting the bike from Preston Superbikes, where do you get yours serviced? M&S on Westgate Road? I've ordered the screen, panniers and rack but I've read that the screen is next to useless so that may require a rethink.

I live in Dunoon - Just of the west Coast of Scotland if yer passin kettles on.

I've read that the back shokers a bit soft is this true? I don't horse it or get the knee down (built for comfort with bags of padding :lol: ) so is it that bad?

I can't find bugger all on ride reports etc so any helps great.

Cheers the noo

Jock

Hi Jock
Here are a couple of things that I've found so far:

M.G. Panniers - Superb! very like the Futuras, but a better shape and a side clasp like a lot of suitcases have - really good.
M.G. Heated Grips: Excellent investment, they may seem expensive, but they are plug 'n' play with three levels of control, warm, hot, and "cook yer breakfast on" - easy to adjust on the fly as well and readout on the clocks into the bargain.
Rack: Good - I've got a GIVI box on mine
Hugger - mines a Skidmarx and fitted very easily - fits well to.
M.G. Screen - Looks great and does keep a lot of the wind blast off you (I'm only 5' 8" so this may be a factor) but it vibrates at 3 - 3.5 k RPM (working on a solution at present).

I've used Millenium Motorcycles in St. Helens (I live in Wirral although hail from gods country!) - wouldn't touch them with a barge pole again I'm afraid, very poor service!

Found this link that you may enjoy:
http://www.askimmc.com/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=70:breva-1200&Itemid=120

Keep in touch and I may take you up on the cuppa.
Cheers

Well I've bought it !!(in princple) depending on the test ride. I'm going down on the 8th May and all being well I'll do the deal then. Thanks for all the advice.

I've ordered the screen, pannier & back rack, can't wait.....

Happy days!!

Cheers

Jock

Congratulations Jock - Sure you'll be happy with it. :woohoo:

Would have ridden up to see you that weekend, but I'm working I'm afraid - good luck on the test ride - hope it's dry and sunny for you. B)

I've done over 11k miles on mine including a trip to Provence and a trip to the Alps, going to Tuscany and Lake Como for 2 1/2 weeks soon, the MG screen works ok for me with the laminar lip and std bars fitted, I'm 6', not tried it with the Mana bars yet though.... I got mine from Shorrocks in Preston, been very happy with the service from them, they've sorted the blown fork seal and failed heated grips no arguments.

Good luck with it, you won't be sorry!!!

hello 20001200c, pls can you elaborate on your before and after laminar lip. I've lived with the MG screen but on long fast journeys it gives me headache so I duck behind the screen then get neck ache. Given my mirror glass has vibrated out over time I didn't thing a glued/velcroed screen lip would stay put.

With the standard MG screen I had a lot of helmet buffeting over 70mph (on the Continent of course...). After fitting the Laminar Lip, it is a lot better, and most notably my visor is a lot cleaner, which is a good tell tale that my head is clean air. There don't seem to any handling quirks like flapping handlebars either, and there isn't any difference with a passenger, as I am currently running the little black fly screen, and that creates some very weird turbulence from behind me when at Motorway speeds with a passenger.....

Nel, I forgot to mention that the attachments are very good as long as you meticulously clean the screen and dowse it with an alcohol based wipe before sticking them in place.

I used to suffer from a bad pain between my shoulder blades, but this seems to have been solved by fitting Aprilia mana handlebars.

Have a look at this link, there are a few pictures, mostly with the lip installed...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2005rkc/3356275053/in/set-72157615246498265/

Well the story unfolds even more.....I went down to the dealer last weekend to look at the bike and asked who the previous owner was. They told me it was regestered to the owner of a guzzi dealership. I asked if it had been a demo bike and they said no. getting home I phoned the guzzi dealership and they said 'oh yes, had it for ages as a demo and a curtisy bike' when I asked if the current dealership knew this when they bought the bike they said they did. Now I've got nothing against dem bikes but one with 2.5K miles on it and they did not tell me it was started ringing alarm bell I did not loose faith in the bike just in the dealer so after nuch soul searching I cancelled the order. If they cant tell the truth I'm not interested.

I went down to Newcastle yesterday and came back with an 08 white Breva 1100 which I rode 180 mile home. First impressions smooth, quick, quirkie, screen useless need that Laminar Lip, solid (handles like a dream), back brake is made of cheese and the front brakes judder a bit (any ideas???) I've ordered Hepco Becker panniers for it as the dealer said they had problems getting guzzi ones and I've had them before (could swap them over to the Cali I also may buy next year sshh don't tell the wife) I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

thanks for everyones help

20001200c said:
After fitting the Laminar Lip, it is a lot better, and most notably my visor is a lot cleaner, which is a good tell tale that my head is clean air.

Hmmm. Have to disagree there. Bugs on the visor are the true sign of clean air over it. Just like on a naked or sports bike. You can be lucky and find a screen setup that will keep your visor clean and your helmet turbulence-free - after all nothing is impossible.........But that combination is extremely rare and hard to find. Turning pigshit into strawberry jam might be easier.

So after 40k miles of my head in a tumble drier I bought the laminar lip. I set it 2 1/4 inch higher than the old screen and yes it takes all the windblast of my helmet. Riding along feeling the jet of air produce by the lip it kisses the top of my helmet (I'm 6ft) as the column of air seems to go vertical. I'd say the lip's reverse curl turns the air through 90 deg. My bike now looks a bit old man but I'm not a spring chicken. I guess manufactures don't do lips because the aerodynamics have to be worse with the lip in that the air is distorted more by it size and shape.

Look at the screens on GP bikes. Clean shape. No lips to produce rising turbulence. And a cutout at the rear for the rider's helmet to fit in really closely and allow the rider to look through the screen. Remeber that the likes of Rossi are in full aerodynamic tuck for only a few seconds at a time, whereas we want to sit comfortably for hours. It's virtually impossible to get anwhere near those race bike parameters on a roadbike screen, although sports bike screens are reasonably close in some ways. The best manufacturers can do is to provide screens and add-ons to affect where the turbulence goes. The law of averages suggests that sometimes they may fluke it right.

Helmet aerodynamics and ventilation systems work best on naked bikes where the helmet is in virtually un-interrupted airflow. That's why some of us prefer low screens to reduce wind pressure on the torso for relaxed cruising and still have our helmet in virtually un-interrupted airflow.

If you don't like the feeling of air movement over your helmet, then maybe you'd be happier in an enclosed car.

Ooooo :p

Actually a question for those who came before me, what was it like to ride a bike without a helmet? Plus I’ve only ever used full face helmets.

That feeling (which I guess is like being in a powerboat) is about the only reason to get a convertible car. But with the windscreen over the top of your head the turbulence would play havoc with my hair. Plus I’d get sunburnt where I’ve got no hair left :)

Mal

From age 5 to about 13 I rode pillion behind my older brother and we never wore helmets then. (1946 - 1954) When I bought my first bike in 1958 until now I've never ridden without a helmet on the road, first by choice and then by regulation too. Pudding basin with goggles: open face with goggles; open face with visor; full face. Full face is definitely best for comfort and safety.

However, I have ridden completely naked with a naked girl on the pillion along hard sandy beaches in the early 1960s. Now that is a great sensation! Air off the sea is 100% clean so no dust in your eyes. Other delights too........

Open cars are a have In my experience. Wind on the back of your head and you get sunburnt - a major issue here with burn-times as low at 10 minutes in December thanks to that hole in the ozone layer which is right over us then. Touring bikes too are often a have with an unseen hand pushing on your back as slipstream curls over your head and attacks from the rear.

Now I know what works for me, and what to avoid............

GrahamNZ said:
20001200c said:
After fitting the Laminar Lip, it is a lot better, and most notably my visor is a lot cleaner, which is a good tell tale that my head is clean air.

Hmmm. Have to disagree there. Bugs on the visor are the true sign of clean air over it. Just like on a naked or sports bike. You can be lucky and find a screen setup that will keep your visor clean and your helmet turbulence-free - after all nothing is impossible.........But that combination is extremely rare and hard to find. Turning pigshit into strawberry jam might be easier.

Well from where I've been sitting for the thick end of 6k miles, it looks like I've got me a big jar of pigshit strawberry jam........ :D

Back