• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Headlight protection

I purchased one of these, but have not installed it yet, as my Stelvio is in winter storage at my dealer's shop. I think it just uses the existing fairing screws under the headlight assembly to secure it in place.

Bruce

i think it looks pretty good fitted to the bike but what exactly will it protect the light from? certainly not stone chips, which is why most people fit headlight protectors. Plexiglass is what is needed, even though it won't look as good.

It will give the bike a bit more of an 'adventure' look but it wont protect the headlights from the enevitable stone chips. It may be something you could mount a plexiglass shield onto though ?

pauldaytona said:
looks useless and not good too. Makes the bike only heavier
I wouldn't worry about the additional weight on a stelvio, it's never going to be a skinny super model

Looks like it would do a better job in that application Pete, than it would protecting the headlights on a Stelvio.

Bisonheed said:
It will give the bike a bit more of an 'adventure' look but it wont protect the headlights from the enevitable stone chips. It may be something you could mount a plexiglass shield onto though ?

That is what I was thinking, add plexiglass to it.
It is only cosmetic as it is.

Wayne Orwig said:
Bisonheed said:

That is what I was thinking, add plexiglass to it.
It is only cosmetic as it is.

The other option would be to use the structure as a frame and add some wire mesh to it, like traditional stone guards. I was thinking of doing something like that.

Bruce

that would definitely look better than plexiglass, also be more in keeping with the adventure look of the bike, i would buy a headlight protectore that looked like that

Series4 said:
Wouldn't wire mesh strain the headlight?

Not sure I understand your question. If you are asking if it it would diffuse the light so that the headlight is less effective, that is a consideration, although I don't think it is significant if done properly. I have had trucks in the past with wire stone guards over the lights and have not noticed any problem. I think this is actually more of an issue with plexiglas placed over headlights than with wire.

Bruce

Series4 said:
Play on words. I meant strain as in sieve. Can we get back to Lady GaGa?

I'm more a fan of Bruce Springsteen than Lady GaGa myself. Pete's suggestion is kind of scary! :mrgreen: :laugh:

Here is my home made headlight protector. I used a cake cooling rack from Kmart for the mesh and some 5mm round steel rod that i bent up around a baby formula tin. Then used some 20mm x 3mm flat steel bar for the bracket to underneath the fairing. Mig wire was 0.6mm to be able to weld such thin material. Hope it gives you guys a few ideas.
Cheers, Peter

Attachments

• DSC01590.jpg compressed.jpg
    DSC01590.jpg compressed.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 543
Yep cant imagine it would offer much protection. I'd say its more Sophie Loren than Lady Ga Ga. MG Cycles are spiffing chaps but for orders in the UK the website at Stucchi Luigi is now fully functional and they can be ordered by Adventure Bike Warehouse. It saves you searching for pound coins down the back of the couch when the UPS delivery chap asks for the x pounds import duty :D

THE BONESHAKER said:
Here is my home made headlight protector. I used a cake cooling rack from Kmart for the mesh and some 5mm round steel rod that i bent up around a baby formula tin. Then used some 20mm x 3mm flat steel bar for the bracket to underneath the fairing. Mig wire was 0.6mm to be able to weld such thin material. Hope it gives you guys a few ideas.
Cheers, Peter

Great picture, that really does look the part ;)

If stone chips are the concern, what about the self-adhering vinyl(?) ones that you cut to shape for whatever application? They'd prevent stone chips and not affect light output. I think twistedthrottle and other cycle mart sites have them.

Back