• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stepper motor access

Ray1150

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
Just done the first service, did the oils bit last weekend and this week my VDSTS arrived so I have just been playing with that.
Cut a long story short all good, no major problems other than the tappets sound a bit noisy on one side so I'll check them again once things are cold just to be on the safe side.
I reset the TPS with my new toy, was 4.5 now 4.8 that just leaves tick over, I have a tickover of about 1260, warmed up.
I would like to put a tap in the air feed to the stepper motor but it isn't easy to access and I'd like to see clearly what I'm doing.
What is the easiest way to access the stepper motor, do I have to remove the tank?
Anyone done this?
I don't mind doing it if I have to but I don't want to waste time needlessly either.
Any advice appreciated.
Ray

I believe there's a hose coming off the front of the airbox which feeds the stepper motor. That would be the easiest place to access it, but would need that hose lengthened to allow it to be brought to an accessible place left side of the engine so as to reach the valve from the saddle then routed back to the airbox for filtered air. (Or mount a tiny auxiliary foam filter on the end of the hose and plug the airbox hole?) I think others have done this manual stepper shut-off, and may be pictured on one of the previous threads on stepper motor modifications.

Click on the top Tech tab for a descriptive for access on a Breva/Norge/Sport.

Spot on, just what I was looking for, many thanks, that's next Sunday then!
:woohoo:

kwn306 said:
OK.........I'll play dumb......what does this stepper motor modification do :?:

Hopefully it will get the tickover down to where it should be and stop the popping on over-run (Mistral pipe).
My plan is to put a petrol tap between the air box and the stepper motor, open to start up, thereafter closed.

The stepper motor controls idle, which is the root cause of erratic idle on some bikes, and to blame for the engineered air leak at the intakes. Best to block the flow to balance the throttle bodies. My Kit kills the air-flow.

GT-Rx said:
The stepper motor controls idle, which is the root cause of erratic idle on some bikes, and to blame for the engineered air leak at the intakes. Best to block the flow to balance the throttle bodies. My Kit kills the air-flow.
OK I'm a cheapskate :dry:

Right, just got back in the garage for 5 mins. Taking the tank off a Stelvio seems to be a mighty undertaking that I don't really want to do today - or at all.
;) So, take the drivers seat off, dig the battery out (2 no 3 pozi screws secure it) and you have easy access to the stepper supply pipe, and both the air box and stepper connection points. The pipe is 8mm (5/16 in US) although it is stretched to 10mm (3/8) to go over the air box connection. Don't pull the wrong one off, the other pipe disappearing upwards is to do with the crankcase breather. (Many thanks to Richard @ MGOCUK for the parts catalogue.)
I'm off to the aquarium/lawn mower shop in the morning and I'll post again with some pix when I've found an answer that works.
nb Don't pinch the battery breather pipe when you put it back.

OK ended up at the tropical fish shop. The only rub is using clear air pipe it folded very easily and I had to route it very carefully.
I might change the tubing yet but as everything cost me less than 4 quid its not a terrible problem.
Anyway here are the pix. The only bit I haven't shown here is that I used a silicone sealant to seal the air pipe onto the stepper motor to make sure it was air tight, as you can see from the pix it was a bit big.

The pix show;-
Looking down where the battery fits to see the copper coloured stepper motor air connector, the air filter connection and the crankcase breather pipe still connected

Where a small lenth of pipe connected the two the clear pipe is routed wide to avoid sharp bends eventually connecting at the tap.

The finished job.

Attachments

• DSCN1467.JPG
    DSCN1467.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 450
  • DSCN1474.JPG
    DSCN1474.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 446
  • DSCN1476.JPG
    DSCN1476.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 446
Popping and banging on the overun, hoping it will bring the tickover down a bit too.

Let me know if the fix, manages to repair the iregular low throttle response. Mine has a tendance to rev slightly and take its time settleling back down, I feel this makes parking lot cruising ackward! :D

Back