• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Canisterectomy on the 2012 Stelvio

canuck1969 said:
What I meant was disconnect the tb vent hose from the canister (#8) and plug then end of the hose.
Ah yes, very good, that will certainly do it. Don't forget the tip-valve.

You guys must have something different from mine (2012 US Spec Stelvio NTX). My throttlebodies have M6 threaded opening for the banjo nuts, and I replaced them with M6 short adapters from CarbMate.

Do we have different setups or have you just made a mistake? I am absolutely positive about my connectors being M6.

People, GET THIS CANISTER OUT! you will not be disappointed. I went today for a 620 kms trip, good part of it in 29 to 30 C temperatures. Bike runs MUCH smoother especially in the 3k to 4k RPM range, vibrations almost gone, I can not only feel it, but I can literally see it - my rear view mirrors are now steady. Fuel consumption better by about 5% and bike runs cooler by almost 15C (measured on engine block). My theory is that an extra air was sucked into cylinders through that canister, making the mixture lean. My 7200 kms on the clock is probably helping as well, making the bike better broken in.
Now I have to figure out how to synchronize my 2 cm Hg difference between cylinders without spending $230 on this Centurion tool. Any special deal around?

Get the VDST tool from Todd! It is an excellent tool and is worth every dime especially if you plan to keep the bike for any length of time. Besides, being able to work on your own motorcycle, correctly, is absolutely satisfying beyond words.

If you remove the canister you are unbalancing the A/F ratio ...... not necessarily the TB between one cylinder and the other but the amount of A/F ratio from idle to 3000rpm.
The ECU is set to maintain idle at 1200rpm with a control to open and close the air passage by a steppermotor.
If the steppermotor reaches its limits the throttle response between idle and 4000rpm will vary.

To balance the TB properly you definitly need the VDST.

Why it runs smoother?
Logically ...... because the canister had the 1port going to atmosphere the TB's had air being sucked into the cylinder.(Close loop was balanced with the steppermotor to maintain the recommended A/F ratio by the ECU)
When the canister is removed the closed loop system sees that it's missing some air and commands the steppermotor to open .... but the motor reaches its limit ...... air is at its maximum opening and the bike runs richer than required.

The balancing is done with the U tube or whatever differential vacumm gauge, the two bypass screws at idle, the setscrew (throttle body connecting rod) at 3k and keeping the stepper value on the VDST at midrange.

Canisterectomy complete. Couldn't get the canister out so just left it in and jumped around it with some gas hose I had lying around. Plugged off the hose going from the canister to the TB's so left them jumped together. Seems to idle more smoothly.

To late for a ride so will try it out tomorrow.

Just need to remove the tip over valve. Didn't see it up front so assuming that it is under the tank. Can someone please confirm this.

Thanks

canuck1969 said:
Cnister.jpg
What are the dimensions (in mm) and the Guzzi part number for the banjo bolt o-rings (listed as item 11 in the figure)? I could not find that info on my copy of the parts manual.
Thanks!

Fantastic write up. No problems with the Stelvio yet but does anyone have a nice link, like this, on how to do the canisterectomy on a 2013 V7R?

Much appreciated.

Marc

Troy had written, "I recommend . . . taking a long piece of #8, and connecting them between both throttle bodies using the stock banjo fittings. That charcoal canister is a bear to get to, so best to just leave it unless you end up pulling the fairing and speedo assembly at some point down the road."
I followed this advice today, and can't believe the difference. Much smoother throttle, more progressive, less snatchy. I highly recommend embarking on at least this extremely easy route. One question: another poster recommended using vacuum caps on the tucked away #8's that used to go to the TBs, to keep bugs out. I did that, but now wonder if they should be uncapped to vent to the atmosphere? Is the tank no longer vented? [Edit: I found the answer when I stopped to get gas and opened up the gas tank to a whoosh of air: my tank was pressurized. So I vented the tank independently, as suggested in leafman's post here:
https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/topic?t=11035&p=83024
And all was better.]

Back