• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Alternator bust!

UKstridey

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Hi all
Just thought I would report a defunct alternator/generator which is 2.5 years old from new on my Stelvio with 15k miles!

Brushes worn is the diagnosis by two technicians! Its a Bosch.

A bit premature do you think?

I am told un- repairable so new one around £200 in UK.You can get them cheaper and cheapest is about £135.00 shipped from Itlaly.

Thanks
Mark :(

It may say Bosch on the label, but is probably built using cheap Chinese
components.

I've never seen an alternator that can't be re-conditioned by an electrical shop. Guzzi may not list any parts for it, but it should be repairable. Definitely consult the guys Iainw suggested.

UKstridey said:
Hi all
Just thought I would report a defunct alternator/generator which is 2.5 years old from new on my Stelvio with 15k miles!

Brushes worn is the diagnosis by two technicians! Its a Bosch.

A bit premature do you think?

Even if it is repairable, I'm not sure I would try. Why would it wear out in that short of a time? It must have other issues that cause the brushes to wear that fast.

There an alternator on ebay at present for £60 plus postage. Came of a 2008 Stelvio that's been broken for parts.

Phil

Philmac said:
There an alternator on ebay at present for £60 plus postage. Came of a 2008 Stelvio that's been broken for parts.

Phil

Thanks Phil. I had already found it just in case I needed it.

I am waiting for my warranty to approve the fitting of the new £200 alternator. If no then this or maybe a repair using the guys in Preston may be the next move. Thanks to all for there replies.

cheers
Mark

Uprated Alternator?

I've just installed a new battery but it's doesn't seen to be charging when I'm riding.

I was toodling along and the indicators stopped working and the engine started to die.
Managed to pull off and called the RAC.

On the bike I have twin HID headlights, fog lights, couple of USB feeds ( I was using one to power my phone) and I was wearing Biketech heated jacket and leggings ( I'm a wuss - no worries)

RAC checked the voltmeter with heated clothing plugged in and the bike running - it showed a voltage of 12.6 or thereabouts.

He took the battery off the bike and charged it up and the charge was showing about 13.7 on the voltmeter.

This could mean my alternator is on the way out or it isn't powerful enough for the heated clothing etc.
My first step will be to dissemble the alternator and clean it up / refurbish it but I don't want to do this if it is going to be charging at less than 13 anyway.

Anyone had a similar problem? Anyone recommend a more powerful alternator please?

You sure your man has it right? In my workshop manual it refers to the alternator with permanent magnet, ie no brushes.
Mnd you, it wouldn't be the first mistake I've spotted.

Have you checked the volt meter function built into the display when running the bike with everything turned on and off, under normal running conditions my bike shows about 13.4 volts. perhaps you are dragging more power than the alternator can supply with the heated clothing and up rated lights.
regards Keith

Or your aux lights have shorted out the fuse for the exciter circuit on the generator. Common on the Stelvio. Just do a search on how to check it before you start ripping out your alternator. Sounds strikingly familiar.............

Brian UK said:
You sure your man has it right? In my workshop manual it refers to the alternator with permanent magnet, ie no brushes.

I am 99% certain the the manual is wrong in that respect. I noticed this before, and admit that I have not disassembled one to prove it. But the specs and size and everything sure look like a typical active field alternator which would have brushes.

I agree, it wouldn't be the first mistake I've spotted.

I did note some time back that, on the Norge, if you use the headlight flasher when the engine is idling (all 4 bulbs lit), you can hear the additional load on the alternator belt. This would not happen with a permanent magnet alternator.

But to have to replace the alternator because the brushes have worn down would be absolutely rediculous. They are made in India by the way.

HI Mark,
I hope you get it repaired before your IOM trip?
15k miles does seem very premature!. Even though past warranty, I hope the dealer can get MG to come to the party on that.
cheers

hi all

In the end my aftermarket warranty coughed up for the alternator and labour so all sorted. :D

However after my partner got her 2011 Stelvio I noticed how much quieter hers is on the cylinder heads and my heads tap like mad compared to hers! I have a feeling its the cam parts or something starting to wear. Its into my dealer in Exeter on Saturday for investigation. I will report back once I have it confirmed. I also have a slight oil weep on the the right inlet pipe to the head from the electrical sensor that fits in the pipe? :(

Hope its sorted before the Isle of Man trail ride weekend after next! : :)

thanks again.

However after my partner got her 2011 Stelvio I noticed how much quieter hers is on the cylinder heads and my heads tap like mad compared to hers! I have a feeling its the cam parts or something starting to wear. Its into my dealer in Exeter on Saturday for investigation.

Oh dear, I was never looking for trouble, I accept our bikes sound like a bag of spanners in a washing machine and still run well.
However I ran foul of the dreaded curse of the cams somewhere just after 15k.
Dropped the bike in last October, still haven't got it back.
To be fair the dealer is insisting on roller tappets rather than the same old replacement rubbish (they told me they did 5 replacements like for like on one bike).
All a bit disappointing though................. :(
Hope yours is just noisy Mark, I think there were more internal baffles cast in as the model progressed.

Latest is that the cam followers and cams are being changed. Guzzi will provide parts FOC but I have to pay the labour as has been stated previous. My bike is a June 2011 Stelvio so well out of official Guzzi warranty.
I am trying to get the images that my dealer sent to Guzzi for approval for the work.to upload to site plus a copy of the guzzi bullitin sent to dealers. Also had to prove service history to so don't let that slip if you need to go through this.
Hope to collect it Thursday pm!

Sorry to hear that Mark.
Rang the dealer for a chat today as the riding season is well and truly on us and I booked up a few ferries over the winter which are approaching fast. (Or I'm just getting older)
The good news is that they have the parts at the dealer and I'm in line for the work to be done. I know there were two ahead of me when I left mine there.
Interestingly it turns out that not only are there A,B & C cam replacement kits there are C Mk I, Mk II and Mk III.
All of which will fail bar C Mk III. I was told many well known MG dealers are refusing to take in bikes for cam warantee work until they have the parts in stock as there is quite a back log.
I will hold the faith but if it starts to make the same noises again I'm just going to p/x it fast.
Perhaps I should just take the lump out of the 1100 sport and put that in?

Back