• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Tyre (tire) Suggestions? [Michelin Pilot Road 4's?]

sanddweller

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Hi,
I got about 6,600 miles (10,500 km) on the original Pirelli Scorpions on my MY12 Stelvio NTX.
I replaced these with Micehlin Anakee 3's, and I've been very happy with these, although I noticed they were a little noisey when first put on - they've either quietened, or I've become used to that.

The A3's have 9,000 miles (14,400 km) on them now, and probably will get another 1,000 miles out of them, which I will complete in the next week or so. I've been happy with the performance of the A3's, and might go with them again - but

I've seen some good reports about Michelin's Pilot Road 4, in all areas - wear, braking, wet and dry performance. Claiming up to 20% longer life than the predecessor PR3's, which I see on other posts here had some good votes.

I've done only a tiny bit of travel on unsealed roads. Mostly it has been local and highway travel. Naturally, plenty of twisties and other fun stuff. I don't spare the beast.

Has anyone tried the PR4's and can provide some comment?
I'm also thinking, if I go with them, whether to use the PR4 Trail on the rear, or use the PR4 GT or PR 4 Standard. (The trail is softer compounds, GT Harder and Standard is in between).

thanks...

I've read mixed reports about PR4s on a Triumph Explorer forum. Some people love them but quite a few are disappointed that they don't seem to last any better (or even worse) than the PR3s . Some have even gone back to fitting PR3s and some now use Anakees 3s instead. There certainly seems to be confusion over which version of the PR4 is best -maybe Michelin have should have stuck with one name & one spec for PR4s and called the other versions something different?

Here's links to see the difference in construction & compounds of the various PR4s:
PR4 Trail: http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/man...lin/michelin_pilot_road4_trail_tires_spec.jpg
PR4 Road: http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/man...elin/michelin_pilot_road4_rear_tires_spec.jpg

I decided to go with the PR4s and give them a try.
I put the trail on the front, and the standard on the rear (The standard rear has harder compound than the trail rear, and as I rarely see anything but blacktop, though this might give better longevity). I haven't done much more than scrub them in yet, but first impressions are very good. Significantly quieter than the Anakee3s, and grip feels very good.

I'll be interested to see what you think of them. I've got a set of PR4 trails sitting in the garage. I was going to throw them on the Caponord, but now it's going for sale, I'll throw them on the Stelvio when the time comes.

Hi sandweller, if you ride in the rain go for the PR 4s if you are a sunshine only kind of biker go with anything else... don't waste your money.

mileage will depend how much you twist the wrist..... I usually get about 6000 for rear 8000 miles front and that will change again over the winter as I don't twist it so hard in the snow and frosts

Back