• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

04 Stone muffler mod

impalablue

Just got it firing!
OK, after some years I have noticed that every time I have a quiet scooter I get run over once a year by cars swapping lanes on me. Time for pipes on an 04 Stone that aren't dead quiet. Any suggestions? Most importantly I want to know if this is a change that lets everything else stay stock. Or do I need to modify fuel delivery? I'm riding generallly anywhere from 3000 tio 6000 feet above sea level.

Hi Phil, there's handfuls of options out there, but I'd recommend having a look at this for most of your questions HERE. The Bub's are a bit hard to find unless someone here has a set, so I recommend the LaFranconi Competiziones. Made by the same people that make the stock mufflers, and readily available ay most any of our site sponsors. You'll need to modify the ECU/fuel map, which I recommend a PCIIIusb... does you bike have an 02-sensor/lambda?

No knowledge of sensor age. Haven't really a lot of familiarity with this engine yet. New to MG and more skilled on old school stuff than fuel injection etc. I assume it has a sensor but you asked about the year--how to tell? This was sold to me as an 03 but VIN says it is 04, previous dealer reported clutch and valvetrain recalls done (I have not verified this).

What makes you think that the driver, sitting in his car with windows closed, music full blast, and really paying no attention to anything apart from what is immediately in front of him, is going to notice you more with louder pipes?
The only real cure is to ride defensively, assuming that everyone else has no idea that you exist.

Loud pipes save lives is a dangerous assumption.
While I'm all for good sounding motorcycles, too much sound like would be required to achieve that notion is a bad thing and does more harm then good. Learn to ride properly and don't count on others to save your life.

I agree with Guzzimoto about the loud pipes, hate them. The loud pipes are only heard by those behind you. The majority of "conflicts" come from the front and side so a loud pipe is of no value. The will just piss off people against motorcycles. If you really want to be noticed, mount one of these http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/ and use it when someone encroaches. But you can't rely on horns either.

LF Comps are the best, It is also possible to "punch" the stock mufflers. PM me, and I can tell you how.

02 = Oxygen not a year..

O2 would be a better (but harder) way to type it.

I had my stock Norge muffler rebaffled by a fellow down in the Carolinas. It ended up being to loud for my likings, so I bought a GPT titanium can. Whether the stone mufflers can be rebaffled is a good question. A fellow forum member {phordman}, hope I got that right, may chime in here and come up with the guys name who did the baffle job.

Mistrals sound good- not too antisocial in town, but a nice bark on the open road. No major fuelling mods necessary but you will get gains from opened airbox, filter and H pipe too.

I used to filter along a 20 mile stretch of busy motorway twice a day and did not really appreciate what difference sound makes with other traffic, until I borrowed Helen's very quiet R6 for week and I suddenly turned invisible!

As soon as I was back on my louder Guzzi, the stationary traffic parted like the Red Sea again!

The 02-sensor/lambda will be hiding in the part of the pre-muffler under the transmission. It faces upwards... just look for the wiring coming down on the starter side of the motor. If you have a hard time deciding, remove the left side cover and post on what numbers you see on the ECU. Mainly interested if it reads 1.5M IAW = lambda.

What price (range) are you hoping to spend on mufflers? Knowing that would help the most.

guzzirider wrote:
Mistrals sound good- not too antisocial in town, but a nice bark on the open road. No major fuelling mods necessary...
Ever tried a PCIII? ;)

Here are the mods I've done to my 01 Stone:
1. Opened the air box out by drilling 3x30mm holes on the rear of the box top
2. Fitted a K&N air filter
3. Replaced the H-Pipe crossover with the one from Guzzitech
4. Knocked a 12mm hole right through the mufflers - 3 & 4 give it quite a nice sound.
5. Fitted a PCIII
6. Reset the TBS
7. Got it dyno'd by an authorised PCIII tuner - remapped the PCIII

So I got the sound I wanted and an increase of 3hp

Da Rev wrote:
Here are the mods I've done to my 01 Stone... So I got the sound I wanted and an increase of 3hp
Great... however if you want more, the the stock mufflers are the "plug", even drilled per my article linked on pic below:
I found 11 rwhp and 15~20 ft. lbs. with similar mods:
Blue lines represent my PCIII'ed, open airbox lid, H-piped, Bub mufflers, Red indicates a stock (H-pipe and punched stock mufflers only).

A tad under 71hp ain't to bad for what I've done Todd. Its as much as I'm going to spend anyway ;)

Todd, Still have the proto type 2 into 1 steel pipe? not that I'd ever want you to sell it in case I ever find a Jackal.(LOL)........... but after listenin tens of times to your NY eve/day ride video's ............ those pipes should keep one from getting run over ;)

No major mods? Meaning the airbox/filter mods and you are still using the original ECU? Any affect on fuel economy?

Woops. last message was supposed to be a reply to Guzzirider, so without that reference the question is out of nowhere. What do I need to get the reply function to reference the post I am replying to?

Sorry to be boneheaded. Thanks for all the info.

impalablue wrote:
Woops. last message was supposed to be a reply to Guzzirider, so without that reference the question is out of nowhere. What do I need to get the reply function to reference the post I am replying to?

Sorry to be boneheaded. Thanks for all the info.

Use the "quote" button in the lower right corner of the post you want to reply to or ask a question about. BTW, nothing bone headed about the question.

Well my Jackal seemed to run absolutely fine with no mods to the fuelling. I did invest in a PC111 and custom map for my V11 cos it needed one but the Jackal seemed to run very well so I figured no need on spending the cash if I don't need to.

Saying that, I am sure there will be gains to be had from investing in a Power Commander but to me it ran so well I did not feel obliged to open my wallet.

I have now fitted K & N pods and dumped the airbox, so I may change my mind once I have ridden her for the first time.

Back