• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

07 Breva 750 Fuel Mileage?

beevel

Just got it firing!
Hello everyone, I fairly new on this board and have only been reading all the posts to learn more about my 2 recent purchases. New old stock, breva 750 ( wifes ) and Breva 1100. My question is regarding my wifes b750.

What kind of fuel mileage should we be getting on the 750?
The reason I ask is that my wife is only getting around 16km/l which equates to about 35mpg ( us gallons ) which seems really really low to me. The bike still has low miles as in only about 1500km but I still think this is extremely low mileage.

Is there something obvious I should be looking for? I have no problem going to the dealer as the bike is still fully warranted but don't want to take it there if 35mpg is aprx what we should be getting.

Its just been in for its first service and nothing was said about any issues, no warning lights of any type.

I plan on getting the ecu reflashed later on, but if the mileage sucks this bad now, I'd hate to see what it's like after a reflash or pc-v o2 optimizer setup.

Thanks everyone.

Welcome to the Forum.

Many factors on consumption including set up, tune, air temp (cooler weather brings greater consumption), mileage on the motor, riding style, altitude, etc, etc.
Fill us in...

Often consumption goes down with a well mapped modifier due to more power at lower RPMs.

GT-Rx said:
Welcome to the Forum.

Many factors on consumption including set up, tune, air temp (cooler weather brings greater consumption), mileage on the motor, riding style, altitude, etc, etc.
Fill us in...

Often consumption goes down with a well mapped modifier due to more power at lower RPMs.

Thanks Todd.

I do realize that cold weather and such do make a difference to mileage but I thought regardless that 35mpg was a little low. I think I will wait until the spring/summer to make any real determinations of fuel mileage, as the bike should have some more mileage on it by then.

As for your questions. I'm up in Canada, BC... right now temps are about 9C so about 48F.

Altitude is slightly higher than seal level, but pretty much a wash.

My wife's bike so riding style is sedate.. extremely sedate.....

Setup is stock, with the latest guzzi maps (as per my dealer).

My wife was complaining today about the lean surge again, so I don't think the bike is running rich at lower speeds... so I'll just wait and see.

I'll also be getting a hold of you in the new year; about options for both bikes. I'm thinking reflashes, and doing away with o2 sensors but it will have to wait to see what Christmas brings.

Last weekend my friend rode his wife's 750 Breva 450 miles and got 65 mpg (UK) which is 54 mpg (US) not going mad, but a good touring clip down mostly bendy roads.

35 mpg sounds low.

I just checked a few fuel slips, and I get between 39 - 49 mpg (USA) at these conditions; temps 70-80 F, slightly above sea level, combination of sedate riding in the city and high speed (70-85 mph) on the highway.

So you are low, but is it possible that your lower riding temperature of 48F could account for it?

How about pulling the plugs to see if you're rich or lean?

Joe

On my V7C with 18,000 miles on the clock I get between 54-60 MPG if I put in high test ethanol free fuel. Fuel with 10% ethanol I drop down to 48-50 MPG. On an extended trip I could only put in 15% ethanol high test and dropped down to 44-46 MPG. I do not lug my bike as it rarely goes under 3500 RPM. And I am a spirited rider for an old man :lol:

Bill

It seems the sensor that most influences fuel mileage is the engine temperature sensor. Get some thermal mastic between the sensor and the engine to better conduct heat to the sensor. Also get VDSTS (I'd recommend you get teh pro version from Todd in the store area above to work on both the 750 and the 1100) and take a look at what the sensor is reporting. If it is reading low, mileage will suffer. Also be sure the sacred screw (throttle stop screw in the left TB) hasn't been tampered with. If it has, it also can play hell with mileage. Proper setup is key to getting good mileage from the 750s, a good TB sync and TPS reset could help.

Thanks everyone for the info.

I had read some of the suggestions already, the mastic in the temp sensor etc.... I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything else I was missing. I think I will wait until the weather warms up and my wife starts riding again in the spring and if the mileage is still crap I'll take it to the dealer first. If that doesn't resolve anything then I'll fix it myself. Mind you I might do the simple things during the winter hibernation; the thermal mastic etc.

ps. I could pull the plugs but this was the second tank of fuel after a full service, which included... sparkplugs etc...

I may pull them tonight anyway just for peace of mind. I i can figure out the issue in the next week or so I would sleep better during the winter.

5l/100 kms. In average.
I think. Like the most bikes...

I have a V7 Classic, which, is basically the same bike with different body work and wheels. I've only owned it since late Sept. It has 1700 miles on it when I purchased it, so it is still breaking in. In the 1200 miles I've put on it in the last 6 weeks, I've averaged 45 MPG. My riding has been about 70% rural 2 lane 40-55 MPH riding with the rest being rural (non freeway/interstate) 4 lane 45-60 MPH with some traffic lights, and a very little amount of 60-70 MPH interstate riding.

My fill-up records vary from 40-50 MPG, but the variation is more likely to be how much I topped it off to.

I get aroung 55mpg (Imp) out of mine.
50 if I'm pushing it.
One thing you must look at before even thinking about getting involved in engine dabbling, is your Wifes riding style.
A delicate issue I know, but one that must be looked into.
I see you say her riding style is very sedate which in itself does not equate to good fuel economy by default.
Change gear too early, and you're bogging the engine down and labouring it, which means it will use more fuel.
Some time ago I did an advanced riding course with a Police instructor and one of the things he commented on was that generally, I was a gear higher than I should have been in most given situations.
By staying a gear lower than I would normally have done, I was noticing a significant reduction in my fuel consumption, so much so that I thought the fuel gauge on my ZZR1100 was stuck.
It really did make a huge difference because I was letting the engine rev freely, rather then bogging it down in too higher gear.
If it were me, I'd get out on it and ride it for a couple of hundred miles myself and work out my mpg, before assuming that the fault is with the bike.

Back