• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'07 Norge ECU Permanent Positive

texasl

Just got it firing!
My Norge has started blowing the 3 amp ECU fuse.

http://guzzitech.com/phocadownload/wiri ... _Norge.gif

According to the wiring diagram there is a diode (pc. 61) in line and a condenser (pc. 62) from the +12 VDC line and chassis ground.

What is the purpose of both of these, and how catastrophic would it be if they were removed from the circuit.? It seems to me that they are just filtering the power to the ECU, which I would assume that the battery itself would be a pretty good clamp to smooth out any rectifier ripples.

Thanks in advance.

You need those components. The diode makes sure current flows only in one direction. The capacitor will pass any transient AC current that may be induced in the wire that goes to the ECU to ground protecting the ECU from spurious signals/voltages. Check the condition of the wire to the ECU. Something may be chaffed causing the ECU fuse to fail. Also check the capacitor for failure.

Diode also protects the ECU in case of a reverse polarity connected, as well as any spikes/noise present on the supply line. Check the diode also - should conduct one way only (towards the white ring).

Oz1200Guzzi said:
Diode also protects the ECU in case of a reverse polarity connected, as well as any spikes/noise present on the supply line. Check the diode also - should conduct one way only (towards the white ring).

Thanks Tony I forgot about that one.

Thanks, everyone. I figured I was on the right track, but it's always nice to get some positive reinforcement.

People in the Pacific Northwest (Go Hawks!) can look forward to a spell of nice weather, because the plastics are coming off tomorrow. That usually brings out the good weather.

Larry

Well, friends, I've managed to get the plastics and fuel tank removed (and adventure in its' own right) and what I have found is an air box and a wiring harness packed so tightly that you cannot see anything.

My question is this: Where in the heck should I begin doing the electrical dismantling in my quest for the ECU? The manual is less than forthcoming, but the illustration indicates that it should be around the centerline of the bike and forward of the alternator, which puts it directly below the vehicle ID plate.

Would pulling the air box be of any real benefit?

I'm not afraid to do surgery on equipment, but I definitely don't want to do any unnecessary work.

R/Larry

At the front of the frame just behind the steering head there is a flat plate. The ECU is bolted to the underside of that plate.

Thanks, John, I was afraid of that. I guess that tomorrow it is back to the garage with marker tape so that I can remember where everything came from and start disconnecting enough stuff so that 60 year old eyes can see and 60 year old fingers can get in.

And when you get to this point, you'll start to second guess yourself..... ;)

When I took my ECU out for the second time, I also took off the alternator cover, it gave me some extra room under there.

Good luck, and be patient!

Nick

Oz1200Guzzi said:

Well, I'm getting ready to 'second guess' myself and dive into the areas behind the plastic. One thing I want to check out is the diode and capacitor (items 60 and 61 on Carl's schematic). I've long suspected the bike I'm working on was frequently jump started (battery to battery) and that at some time the polarity was reversed which I believe resulted in a fried ABS module and dash on my bike. If polarity was reversed on my bike during a jump start could the diode or capacitor be damaged?

So, where does one begin to look for the diode/cap? No doubt there in the vicinity of the incredibly compact ECU, steering head and alternator area...ugh!!!! But a little more specific info would be most appreciated. Do these parts use a special connector, housing or a marking that is readily identifiable? Does anyone have a photo of where they're installed or look like on a '07 Norge?

they will need to be very close to the ECU itself, so that is a good spot to look - not easy I know and not easily accessible. I looked in the parts list and failed to find them there, nor in the wiring diagram I have.

Back