• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

09 Stelvio almost F/S - resolved

Solow

Just got it firing!
I'm selling a 2009 Stelvio with <700 miles. Typical problems with running issues, only my local dealer has no idea how to fix it and Moto Guzzi tells me my only other choices are Denver or Tucson/Phoenix for warranty work. Well, I live in Albuquerque, NM, and that just isn't acceptable. I will accept any reasonable offer but the buyer will have to come and get it. The title is clear(yes, I foolishly paid in cash) and the color is red. Nice bike for someone who knows how to make it run right or has a qualified dealer/mechanic who can. Call Jeff @ 505-515-4575.

Re: For Sale- 2009 Stelvio

Sad to read this. If there is any way to get it to a competent shop they may/should make her what you believed she would be. I am not happy about a couple of quality control issues, but thankfully I have a great shop that takes care of her and she runs like a MG should. The "fire sale" is understandable, but $$$. A few gallons of gas on a day trip down the Salt River Canyon and then some great roads through Ray, etc., down 77 into Tucson would be an opportunity to make her right and hopefully the ride after would help you bond with her. I've read good things about the Tucson shop, but the others here may know a better option too. Assuming they sort her out, if you didn't trust future support in Alb., it would still give better return on your $ trading or selling her after she has the service. Hell, if I lived near you, I'd run her down there for you if getting a couple days away is a problem for you. Just my two pennies worth as I hate to see a rider get to the "end of his rope" over an incompetent/lacking Corp structure/Dealer network, especially for a premuium priced Brand.

Good luck!

Bob

I'm in the same boat - '09 Stelvio with one minor and one serious problem (in my opinion). Useless dealer 15 minutes away, next closest is 4.5 hours away in Rochester. Next closest in Canada is 7 hours away. The dealer's only Guzzi/Aprillia-trained mechanic just walked (a recurring event at that dealership due to pay). So now the dealership is left with one scooter mechanic to service the region's MG/Aprilia/Victory/Hyosung riders.

Piaggio makes good bikes and has a good following (as shown by this board), but the spotty quality control and poor dealer network will inevitably lead to the demise or marginalization of the brand in North America. I realize these issues are to be expected from a company that sells only 8,000 bikes a year, but let's face it - people don't want to drop $15k on a bike and have problems that a local dealer can't fix. there's obviously friction between Piaggio and its dealers (especially here in Canada), but the customers shouldn't be the victim of the dispute.

Sorry to hear this. I still remain staggered that these things are happening, The Stelvio, or any of the other models, aren't exactly complicated or difficult??? Exactly what skills do you need to have to become a 'Dealer'??

Also what are the problems you're having? We might be able to sort 'em out.

Pete

I have a 2009 that I considered selling because of the way the engine ran, but I've done a lot of tinkering and, thanks in large part to the info. I've gotten from people here, I now have it running well.

If you are interested, I'd be happy to relay everything I've figured out so far....

Just checking in after the holiday. Thanks for all the support and good advice. I have a few people who've called on the bike and I need to check back with them before I proceed. I had heard that the dealer in Tucson is first-rate and after talking to the shop manager, if I did not live 400 miles away, this whole transaction would have a different ending. You guys in AZ are lucky.

OK - while directed towards Solow, comments by Peter and Guzziben have encouraged me to continue to address my problem. I will repost my issues in the tech section and solicit additional help.

coldcanuck

Sorry Pete, for not answering your question. The problems seem to be a mixture of throttle body sync, mapping, and stepper motors (not sure what they do). Anyway, at present the bike revs from neutral much like a car that has slipped the timing belt (ie, very rough) and will not run smoothly at any fixed rpm between 2k-4k. But there is some good news concerning a possible fix- there is a local fellow who is expert on MG's and says he can fix it. And more importantly, he is offering to show me how it's done plus a few other things I should know about the bike. Thanks to Rich and the people at Rennaisance in Tucson for putting me in touch with Matt Forslund. I'll be taking the bike over on Saturday and hopefully posting the result Monday.

Good luck Solow, hope it works out for you. It took a bit of $$$ and the parts from Todd but Ooooohhhh what a difference. Fuelling on these things is very bad and the idle is unstable until you mess with the stepper motor bypass. Sounds like your on the right path.

400 miles to a good Guzzi dealer, not bad. I have traveled 1200 miles just to have some major warrwnty work done by MPH in Tx.

Regards, Paul

Well, I took the bike over to Matt this past Saturday. He found that the check valve to the canister was not operating (the tank was building up a lot of pressure), fixed it, and balanced the throttle bodies. Big difference. Much better throttle response and most of the surging taken care of. He's got some software coming and we're going to hook up the bike when it arrives. The bike is still a little hard starting (and staying running) on the first attempt when cold. All in all, I'm very happy with the progress and looking forward to maybe a few more tweeks to get it dialed in. The major obstacle surmounted for me is that I'm now within 10 miles of a quality mechanic instead of 400. Thanks to all you who have been supportive or showed interest in purchasing the bike. -JW

I'm in the same boat as Jeff and coldcanuck. My '09 surges at all RPMs. Can't keep it smooth no matter how I ride. It's been that way since I bought it from Monroe Motors in San Fransisco. I live 100 miles away from them. I've called them a bunch of times. They had only one Stelvio and are not interested in servicing any guzzis. They never had the Axone. I'm not sure how they do tune-ups or adjust fuel maps. The dealer where I live - Sacramento - doesn't know how to service guzzis either. I've had my bike into their shop many times for "adjustments" and it still runs like crap. Anyone know of a good MG shop in Northern California?

Back