• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1100 California alternator test/removal

GuzziHero

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I replaced the reg/rec on this bike last year, and it ran fine for ages, but now it has stopped charging.

When I replaced the R/R, it was taking 4000rpm to get a 13.5v charge so I suspect the alternator has popped. Are there any easy ways to test it? If not, how do I remove it to get it tested?

I am certain the R/R hasn't gone again, since this time it hasn't boiled all the acid out of the battery!

Thanks in advance.

There are two wires coming out of the stator, with a multimeter you can check for continuity of the coils. If they are open circuit then they are broken. Also check from one wire to the frame, there should be no connection.
If the output is low, then the most likely reason is that the rotor has lost some of its magnetic field, usually caused by storing it for a time without a keeper or within the stator.
But just check that all connections to the rec/reg are good, including the earth.

Okay, will check the reg/rec first, just in case I didnt install it right.

It did stop charging quite suddenly, so it's certainly worth a look. Thanks!

---
I just thought... the battery warning light is still going off when the engine is running, where is the sensor for this located?

On those two yellow wires, disonnect them from the regulator recifier. You should get about 20 VAC at idle, then up to about 80 VAC at high RPM. If you get these readings, the rectifier is at fault. If you don't get these voltages, it is the alternator.

Results:

Cross coils: full deflection
Coil to frame: no deflection
Power cross coils: very very little

Looks like the alternator. Are there any pattern models I could get for this, or does it have to be a specific model? Is it worth looking at a 'rewind'? And how do I get it off the bike.

Many thanks for your help so far, you guys are great. I appreciate your patience with a complete novice like myself.

GuzziHero said:
Results:

Cross coils: full deflection
Coil to frame: no deflection
Power cross coils: very very little

Looks like the alternator. Are there any pattern models I could get for this, or does it have to be a specific model? Is it worth looking at a 'rewind'? And how do I get it off the bike.

Many thanks for your help so far, you guys are great. I appreciate your patience with a complete novice like myself.

Before you remove the alternator, Please do the voltage output check. If it turns out the alternator is bad, both the stator and rotor just unbolt. There is no drama getting the stator off like on the Bosch alternators.

The test is yellow to yellow. If are getting low voltage it indicates the alternator is a fault. You could try replacing just the stator if the magnets in the rotor are strong.

Are there any particular part numbers, Bosch/Marelli/Saprisa etc I should be looking for? I know these 95's were a bit of an oddball with some part from older models and some parts new for the 1100s.

I have a good electrical motor factors near me, so they should be able to sort me out.

GuzziHero said:
Are there any particular part numbers, Bosch/Marelli/Saprisa etc I should be looking for? I know these 95's were a bit of an oddball with some part from older models and some parts new for the 1100s.

I have a good electrical motor factors near me, so they should be able to sort me out.

I believe all the 1100s used the Ducati Electrica system. Comparing your wiring to the schematics Carl has produced will answer your question definitively.

Thanks, you have been a great help as usual! :)

I have a couple more questions... I am thinking of putting an uprated generator in for running spotlights/highway lights and extra brake/tail lights. What would you recommend? Also, I have a Silent Hektik ignition system, would I have to make modifications to this if I uprated the alternator?

Just to finish this off...

The r/r was shorting, and possibly killed off my alternator (although that may have been damaged by the previous r/r failure so I cannot prove this).

I sent it back, got a replacement, and now it runs 14.5@5000rpm with lights off, and 14.35@5000rpm with headlights main beam. Seems OK to me.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice!

Back