• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

12S headlight wiring upgrade

toma nova

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I know that most bikes lose a lot of juice from the battery through wiring to the headlight and I’ve learned that this is even worse with MGs since everything flows through the dash. I took some measurements at the headlight bulb connectors and found the following with the bike running:

Stock
Battery: 14.28V
Tail light: 13.73V
Low Beam: 13.48V
High Beam: 13.75V

Improved
Battery: 14.27V
Low Beam: 14.38V (added almost a full volt from stock)
High Beam: 14.40V (added almost .75 volt from stock)

I added two Panasonic mini relays and some direct wiring from my aftermarket fuse block (which is wired about 3” from battery) – I use http://www.easternbeaver.com for all my electrical parts and accessories – top notch Japanese quality and great service and expertise from an expat Canadian rider, Jim Davis. The two relays and heavier gauge wiring barely fit inside the headlight bucket, but everything goes back together fine. [I also changed the low beam bulb to a Sylvania Silver Star and am playing around with the headlight aiming to get more light down the road.]

Sorry about the crayon drawing, it's the quickest way to get a diagram on paper! (I couldn't get the letter sized .jpg embedded so I attached it instead.)

HTH,
Tom

Wow, the voltage drop on the stock wiring is shocking. MG is obviously skimping on the wire gauge.

I am just about to add a headlight modulator (for use on the freeway only when I'm lane splitting) and will look into the upgrade you suggested.

Brian UK said:
Your diagram misses out the two relays which are already there.

I didn't change any of the existing stock wiring, only added 12 ga.(edited) power directly from the battery. If there are stock relays, they're not helping the voltage drop much (see the stock voltage) - the additional relays and thick wiring from the battery (not through the handlebar switch or the dash) brings the voltage back up to full power.

Tom

I'll be purchasing an Eastern Beaver kit for my R100GS. Without even bothering to check the voltage at the socket, I'm certain the kit will help. The light on the old GS has always been more yellowish in cast than blue/white. Driving the headlight directly from the battery should be a marked improvement.

Bob

Back