Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

'13-15 V7 Over-charging? PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GTM®, Feb 16, 2016.

1. TheOtherSean

TheOtherSean Just got it firing!

Sounds like you got the pos/neg correct.

Check your main fuse. IIRC, one of the red/white wires is hot even with key off. If any snipping was done with the battery connected, the fuse may have done its duty.

(That's assuming you used the stock wiring, which is what I did. If you went directly to battery, I can't help.)

2. francod123

francod123 Cruisin' Guzzisti

I did snip the old VR off with the battery connected.

So where and what should I be looking for in the fuse department, and would it be a simple replacement of pulling a bad fuse and replacing? Thanks.

3. 99sh

99sh Tuned and Synch'ed

^ Never snip wires and work with an active circuit. Should've disconnected battery or the VR harness first.

Just pull your seat and check the fuses. Remove & replace the popped ones.

[​IMG]

dabrucru likes this.
  4. francod123

The little things that you bypass when you're still inexperienced with all of the DIY stuff! Thanks. These can be purchased at any auto parts store I'm assuming?

Assuming it is just a fuse, any chance it did harm to anything else by snipping live wires? Thanks.

5. TheOtherSean

TheOtherSean Just got it firing!

Yep, cheap & easily available. Just get the same physical size & amperage rating. It is indicated by the number on the top.

Unlikely any real harm was done.

francod123 likes this.
  6. elkgrichard

elkgrichard High Miler

Make sure you check out the wiring from the VR that go direct to the battery, my wires were melting the insulation all the way through the main wire harness. Those had to be cut out removed and replaced.

7. Wisconsin v7 Racer

Wisconsin v7 Racer Cruisin' Guzzisti

Snipped mine and mailed today.

GTM® likes this.
  8. Wisconsin v7 Racer

Wisconsin v7 Racer Cruisin' Guzzisti

Made a bracket today out of aluminum, just have to drill the holes to mount the new vr once I receive it 20160311_161546.jpg .

dabrucru likes this.
  9. drlapo

drlapo Tuned and Synch'ed

The Mosfet VR cannot be mounted much lower than the stock unit as the wires will foul the front engine cover
    It's better to mount it a bit higher

dabrucru likes this.
  10. francod123

Replaced the burnt fuse. Turned key to "on" and lights turned on, etc.

Hit start button and nothing. Did my battery die somehow in the process? Shouldn't be though, because diagnostics said 13.1 at battery. Too low to start it perhaps? Not sure what's up.

Could I have messed something up when reinstalling the new mosfet unit. I still had the battery connected like an idiot. Might've plugged in the negative wire before the positive into the new plugs. Still showing 0611 code too on diag.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  11. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

Check the easy stuff first. Kill switch, bike's in neutral, clutch lever. It's easy to bump something and not pay attention at the time.

12. francod123

You know, I did realize I was trying to start it without the clutch in and it wasn't in neutral (wow...). So then, I was like "whew" it's nothing. Nope. Put it in neutral, kill switch always to "on", hit the starter and nothing. Frustrating...

13. francod123

lights go on, high beam works, horn sounds loud...

but simply nothing when i push the starter.

seems hard to believe that the VR is defective but that's possible I suppose.

14. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

can you hear the fuel pump kick on then shut off? check each fuse again. find an extra 5 prong relay and swap it out with the starter one. put kickstand up re check neutral.

15. francod123

Yes the fuel pump kicks on when I turn the key to on.

I switched out the middle relay with the one behind it if you're facing the handlebars in the saddle. Still nothing. They are 4 prong not 5, assuming I did the right ones.

Still nothing. Lights, high beam, horn work but nothing when I hit the starter.

When I pull the 30a fuse and re insert it sparks a little. Is that normal? Battery connected.

Is it possible that the centurion diag put the ecu in sleep mode when it wasn't connecting and I had it hooked up? Not sure how that works really, I just know it states that when you turn the bike on with diag running and don't connect within 10 seconds.

16. francod123

All the sudden it started. Wtf?

That's a good thing I guess but has me hesitant.

Voltage is showing 14v at 3000-4000 rpm in diagnostics and less at idle (can remember exact at idle). Was showing 15v at idle and same at 3k rpm before new mosfet unit.

Still showing that error code though of 0611. Not sure if that will clear or what to do about that.

dabrucru likes this.
  17. dabrucru

dabrucru Cruisin' Guzzisti

I m glad you made it :)... i m waiting for my mosfet unit to arrive...but my mechanic will work on it

18. francod123

I'm suspecting that my ecu went into sleep mode when I didn't connect the bike in time while hooked up to diag because I was fuckin brain farting and trying to start the bike in gear without the clutch pulled in...just a guess though.

dabrucru likes this.
  19. francod123

Wondering if when I switched the starter relay out with the one behind it (the injector relay I believe), if somehow that's what got it to start. However, it did not start immediately after I switched it, which makes me think it wasn't that. I just don't want to have a bad relay now on the injector relay, but would the bike even start with a bad injector relay? I can simply order a new relay and pop it on the injector relay to be sure but hoping to avoid that if possible. Any thoughts?

20. sturgeon

sturgeon Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

Something as simple as the replacement fuse not fully inserted the first time?