• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'14 V7 seeping oil

Thumpster

Just got it firing!
Looking for any suggestions on how I should go about eliminating a slow oil leak.

On my left side cylinder I've noticed oil residue/oil accumulating and threatening to drip. It seems to only seep out while running and my best guess is that is is from the gasket between the head and cylinder. Not 100% sure, though. The location causes oil to occasionally drip onto my exhaust and blows it backward onto my leg and left side of the bike. The leak must be pretty slow as I just checked the oil level and it is fine. It probably started 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Outside of partially disassembling the engine to replace that gasket is there another item I should check or alternate plan of attack?

IMG 1474 IMG 1475 IMG 1479

Yeah, I figured that would be the answer.

A little less than 14K miles. All the scheduled maintenance has been completed at the dealer. It has been rock solid, otherwise.
Just one of those things I suppose.

All the scheduled maintenance has been completed at the dealer.
Which dealer? I can almost guarantee that the head torque was *not* done. Only way to fix this is replace the gaskets. Do both sides at once, else suffer the same issue in time on the other side.

AF1 in Austin.
OK, solid dealership. Have you taken this up with them? Not under warranty any more? Talk to them, see what they say. Things happen, so hopefully they'll take care of you.

Yeah, they've been good to me. I'm out of warranty by a few months now so this would be out of pocket.

I'm currently looking through the engine service manual to see if this is something I want to take on myself. It doesn't look too bad, but I'm definitely going to talk to AF1 before I give it a shot though.

Once you get that leak it never will go away. I had that happen on an old 750 Honda back in the day. Big job on one of those bikes.

Quick update for anyone interested:

Dealer confirmed my suspicions that is was the gasket between the head and cylinder. It'll need to be replaced. They also confirmed my suspicions that I am, in fact, a doofus. Turns out my warranty is still in effect till this coming October.

Mr. Piaggio will be picking up the tab for this one.

You lucked out. Although removing those jugs on this bike is not so bad because of no cam chain to deal with. On that 750 Honda I had to deal with that frocking cam chain and overhead cam crap. I had parts scattered all over the garage floor in little zip lock bags.

Did you ask them if the head torque was done when it was suppose to be. They might of missed it and now will know that they have to be doing it.

Last edited:
Did you ask them if the head torque was don't when it was suppose to be. They might of missed it and now will know that they have to be doing it.
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if just re-torqueing the head bolts could get rid of it? I did try that when I had a leak like that (750 Honda) and it didn't work for me. Sometimes once the leak find a path, it just turns into a siphon type thing.

I didn't ask. A dealership like AF1 that specializes in these bikes will know what needs doing. Especially something basic like the post-break in re-torquing. Hell, the mechanic I was talking to was rattling off the minutia of what will need to be done for the next regular servicing off the top of his head.

Whether or not they actually did it is kind of moot at this point. I didn't feel like possibly burning any bridges by (seemingly) accusing them of not completing standard services. They've been great to me. I'd bet money that it was done correctly and this slow leak popping up is just one of those 'cest la vie things.

Lol, yeah. I actually asked them to wash it after they do the work. The lower half of the left side of the bike has had a light spritzing of oil all over it. She's a bit filthy.

I had the same leak on my '14 Stone, but I caught it before it started dripping. Re-torqued the head bolts a month ago, cleaned it, and it's been good. Hopefully the gasket won't need replacing.

And of course if the head gasket is replaced it will need retorquing again after about 4 - 500 miles or maybe less, and tappetts resetting.

Just did that job on my R100R BMW a few months back and I was surprised by how loose the head bolts had got in 400 miles.

AndyB

Back