• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1975 850 T rear main bearing bolts.

pizza for you

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
When I was tightening the 25 mm long bolts on the rear main bearing on my 850 T they felt like they may have bottomed out. I tightened them to specified torque of 22 ft lbs but I was getting an uneasy feeling. The main bearing is tight and have all the proper washers installed. Should I have used a 20 mm long bolt instead ?
Bolts

I use 25 mm and have never had any issues. 20 will not give a sufficient number of threads engaging. The part number for the bolt is 98054425 - the 25 on the end means 25 mm long.

Just checked the depth of the holes and they vary from 22.78 to 23.4 mm. The one bolt was tight and the torque wrench had not clicked. Was worried about braking it. Will try again with a new bolt and go from there. Thanks everyone for your help.

You need to add the depth of the hole, the thickness of the main bearing flange, and the thickness of the washer. The flange is at least 8 mm thick, washer another 1+, so a 23 mm deep hole should be plenty deep.

You are correct, that's about what I have. I stopped trying to tighten the bolt as I have broken bolts in the past and it felt similar to that. Will use another bolt and go from there.

These need to be high-quality graded bolts. Not your generic soft metal 8.8 grade Chinese made Home Depot variety.

You want grade 10.9 and preferably 12.9 grade.

note for the future, for you and any others: mcmaster.com is a lovely source for all kinds of fasteners - no reason to compromise :)

These need to be high-quality graded bolts. Not your generic soft metal 8.8 grade Chinese made Home Depot variety.

You want grade 10.9 and preferably 12.9 grade.
The factory used 8.8 and in my opinion that's strong enough in this application, if one buys good quality bolts. As tobinh wrote, McMaster-Carr is a good source.

You must use your own judgement and different people have different levels of comfort and tolerance.

I myself, prefer to use the “best” parts I can obtain for any job. Especially one that involves major tear down in order to access.

YMMV.

Good Luck.

A higher tensile strength bolt requires a higher torque. The torque "stretches" the length of the bolt which locks the bolt and stops it coming undone.
Increasing torque of the bolt means the holes threaded section needs to be able to take the tension. If factory use 8.8 I wouldnt change.

Oh God…WTH. Something so innocuous draws all of this fire…

I’m out…this is reaching the ridiculous stage…

Just go ride your bikes Scott. Be happy. Just ride… Stop offering help…. Just ride…

What "fire"? Nobody is allowed to have a differing opinion?

Of course they can however it’s just reached the ridiculous stage.

My original intent was one of that this repair is not an easily accessible area and that assuming that the OP was not using OEM hardware, that the use of a higher quality steel might be a prudent precaution.

This has morphed considerably.

I personally think that it is over the top. YMMV.

Back