• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1979 v50 II catastrophic engine failure.. your thoughts?

mybrainmelted

Just got it firing!
bought my first bike a bit ago, very clean '79 v50 ii with only 6k orig miles (supposedly the bike used for the road test/photo shoot for september 1980 issue of cycle world). previously it had been sitting in some guys "museum" for 20 or so years in montana, then was bought off ebay by an older (retiree age) gentleman in a wealthy area of scottsdale, arizona. he put up an ad on craigslist, and i checked it out the next day... i was sold the second i laid eyes on it.

the fella i bought it from had kept it about 8 years in the garage, putting 22 miles and $2k worth of work on it from 2 local dealers w/ invoices (new engine seals, oil pump, carb clean/adj, tires, etc.. etc..)

i was an airhead, to be frank. the oil pressure light would come on sometimes at low rpm but go away at higher rev's, i figured the switch was dirty and reading wrong. and im not even sure when he changed the oil last, but the bike started and ran fine, almost perfect even. and the oil color in the engine looked fine. so i basically did nothing to the bike and put 200 miles on it. i had been meaning to get it in the shop for a checkup, but was putting it off.

so on the freeway i was trying to pass someone, and near maxing it out at 90+ mph. the engine made a hell of a racket and shut down. diagnosis from the dealership mechanic said i had melted the plain bearing to the crankshaft, which in turn broke rod bearings.

--- how could this have happened, exactly? the mechanic said the oil pump looked fine (as it should since it was replaced from prev owner).

im curious as to whether me not changing the oil could have affected this.
ive attached some pics the mechanic sent me... third one shows sediment at bottom of sump... could be metal shavings from engine failing? or dirt and grime?

one of the other employees at the shop mentioned something about the possibility of bearings getting rusted over time due to condensation in the oil tank from weather (temperature changes).

i just feel like a bonehead and am wondering if anything i could have done would have prevented this... (short of a total engine tear down and resto)

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

and where im at now, is that there are no crankshafts or connecting rods available from the factory.

does anyone know where i can find these parts? i may be able to have the crank machined, but the mechanic said the rods were in pretty bad shape and needed to be replaced.

if im unable to find these parts relatively soon, my only other option is to buy a used motor off ebay. id hate to put an engine with 48k on a bike with 6.

any and all feedback/input is greatly appreciated.

What I would do, is get a good running motor and then have it refreshed ( Rebuilt where needed ), The Bike it self including tranny still has 6K on it. Me, Myself and I would not trust the motor that had suffered a catastrophic failure no matter how much went in to the rebuild.

Again That's just me ;)

Something blocked oil flow to the crank or caused low oil pressure. Determine what did that before you start the repair. It would be very difficult to get your original crank shaft operational again with that blocked oil galley. As Dan said, look for a parts bike or engine to get what you need to revive you low mileage machine. The block may be OK, just make sure the oil passages are open and flowing before assembly. I would take a closer look at the oil pump. The service manuals give specifications for gear clearances. Do you still have the oil that was drained? An oil analysis lab can determine the viscosity at time of failure which may give you the information you need.

I would question why it needed extensive work at only 6000 miles. Including seals and oil pump, it suggest previous problems and poor solutions. I could be wrong of course, but the rule that you always look at previous work first for causes, IMO usually solves 90% of problems.
I once bought a BSA that had been rebuilt, it lasted about 1000 miles then blew the big ends. I will,never buy another rebuilt engine.

Back