• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1994 Cali III

Hane said:
My -91 Cali3 idles much better, performs much better and fuel consumption is better with those 32mm Bings than with original 30mm Dellortos.

Apples & oranges, just another aftermarket application made without any regard for emissions restrictions or for that matter cost, & optimized for the conditions at hand. Many, many Guzzis out there like my T3 with the VHB 30's swapped out for dell orto 32's or 36's, all jetted without regard for emissions, all optimized for whatever altitude the owner lives at, all operating much better than the VHB's. Actually my VHB's provided 50 MPG, idled great & pulled just fine down low. From about 4500 RPM on up, that was another matter-& why I went to the 32's-that & trying to keep up with a friend on a LM I-which became a whole lot easier with the 32's. Damn few Bings on Guzzis for a number or reasons-probably mostly cause owners prefer to keep Italian carbs on Italian bikes if they can be made to work well-which they can, easily and often. Before we go crazy here, let's find out what's actually on the bike at hand & how it is jetted. This long after it was new, could be anything in there.

Well, if the snow stays away, should be picking it up tomorrow morning, so carbs will be the first thing under investigation, after I've washed the salt off anyway... ;) I'm sure it's stock; only one owner from new, and the only things he's changed are the screen, adding some bling, and a new set of fork legs and seals, as the originals were pitted, and took the seals out. He says the throttle has always been heavy, so doesn't sound like routing or lubrication.

Well, here they are:
rightcarb.jpg

leftcarb.jpg

carbid.jpg

Collected it today, and had a cold 22 mile ride. Running well, but that throttle is pretty heavy..... ;)

Looks like you may be able to get by with new cables and a lighter spring. Putting some lube in that 90 degree pipe will help. Also I'd recommend changing to metal banjo fittings for the fuel line to carb connection. Also carbed Guzzis are know to give their riders a right forearm like Popeye the sailor!!

BTW, that carb size will give you an optimum RPM of about 5,250. That is to say, she should be sweet between 4,250 and 6250 RPM.

OK, 36mm straight pulls which should be a lot easier than the 40mm bell cranks on my 1000S which I was able to tame. Agreed, new cables & lighter return spring-and a throttle rocker so you can use the weight of your hand rather than only a death grip from your fingers to turn the thing. Though, think I would take a shot at really lubing the heck out of the existing cables first, just to see. I use Tri-flow, actually designed for bicycle cables but in my experience works great on my Guzzis & doesn't make the inner cable liners swell like some products supposedly do. Have no idea if available in the UK, if not no doubt similar products. I'd remove the tops of the cables from the throttle to make sure the throttle is turning freely & the cable not munged up in there, & to make it easy to hold up the cables & get the lubricant to go all the way through, top to bottom. Also pull the seat & tank, be sure the cables not bound up or too tightly zip tied somewhere, & the rubber donuts that hold the tank up off the frame are properly positioned to keep the tank from laying directly on the cables.

They are the same as I have on the SPIII.
Lightest weight springs work fine.
You can also get cables from Venhill which are much smoother in operation than the existing ones.

Thanks for all the input. I had this back from Eurocarb, the UK Dellorto people:
I don't know which springs are fitted in these - if they are a silver colour they are the strongest, in which case fit the medium ones. If they are black you could try the weak ones but depending on the condition of the slides and cables the throttles may stick...
If it's as simple as looking at the spring colour, should be easy enough to sort out.... although I don't like the, "the throttles may stick..." bit. :eek:hmy:
I suppose they have to say that, don't they... :huh:

I'll take a look at the Venhill Brian, but the movement is smooth enough; it's just the strain of keeping it there!

Lovely bike to ride though... B)

banquo said:
I'll take a look at the Venhill Brian, but the movement is smooth enough; it's just the strain of keeping it there!

Consider it strength training while you ride.

banquo said:
the movement is smooth enough; it's just the strain of keeping it there!

That's why you get the Throttle Rocker, so that you can use the weight of your whole hand/arm to keep the throttle in place, without the need for applying a constant death grip.

I'll be getting one, but I'll wait until I get some heated grips first, to see what diameter they end up.
Now, if we could just have some spring weather, that would be good. :unsure:

By the way, I noticed there's a load of slop in the gear linkage. Is that normal?
The shifter pedal flops about on the pivot, although it seems to shift OK.
I did wonder about moving the controls forward to make room for long legs, but not sure if there's any kit available for that.

When the C3 is equipped with the 36 carbs, you've got the better engine as these carbs come together with the Guzzi medium valve engine 37/44 mm valves. This engine has approx. 5 HP more then the previous equipped with 30 mm Carb and 36/41 valves. Guzzi did not change the quoted HP figures, but this engine is able to deliver the 70 HP quoted.

Never heard about a Cali with 40 mm Dell'Ortos from the factory.

Be careful with carb springs - the slides can stick. They will never stick at full throttle, but engine braking is like on a two stroke engine if they do not shut off completely. Enough to really frighten you.

motoguzznix said:
Never heard about a Cali with 40 mm Dell'Ortos from the factory.

Be careful with carb springs - the slides can stick. They will never stick at full throttle, but engine braking is like on a two stroke engine if they do not shut off completely. Enough to really frighten you.

From Guzziology, on Cal III: "Some early '90's models have the big valve engine from the Lemans V, complete with 40mm carbs." I've seen 'em, they exist. Like I said, haven't any idea whether or not any made it to UK, & a moot point since this bike isn't one of 'em.

What I've heard about softer carb springs (from Greg Fields at MI) is that they have seen cases of them sticking on 40's (though I've had no issues in 75k miles on mine), but not on 36's like these.

As for slop in the floorboard shifter mechanisms, my T3 has plenty. I think it's fairly typical, esp as the miles pile up. They can be rebuilt/made better with new bushings & some changes in the linkages. See Guzziology. Gonna take my T3FB in to MG Classics for the rebuild some day. Meanwhile, it works just fine despite all the obvious slop. I've become used to it over time, but it sure is there. I have no info about moving the shifter mechanisms forward, my legs are short so not something I would want to do.

Thanks Bob. It seems to work just fine, but the one thing the previous owner recommended to me was, "Make sure you check everything now and then, to make sure nothing's fallen off!"

Whe I get a chance, I'll strip it down to see how it's constructed, and if rebushing's an option. Looks like forwards would have to be specially made, as there seem plenty for Japanese bikes and Harleys, but nothing around for the Guzzi.

Back