• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1998 California altenator needed (Ducati)

GuzziLVR

Just got it firing!
First I want to thank all those who developed this site. Since I am in the middle of Montana, Guzzi bikes as well as parts are few and fewer.

I have a 1998 California and I have had a charging problem. First thing I noticed was the wires were burnt from the regulator. I ordered and received a regulator, and thanks to the manual available on Guzzitech I found out how to check out the altenator. IT is DEAD.

Is there anyone out there that has a good altenator for sale, Euroelectrics has the stator and the rotor but they are separate, I am looking for the Ducati made altenator complete..

Any help would help.

Thanks
Bill
GuzziLVR

Have you checked the MGNOC classifieds? Check with Frank Wedge. Matt the NM MGNOC rep has loads of parts too. Not sure if the other forums have classifieds, but it might be worth a look. There's a guzzi wrecker in France but that may be too much trouble.

Heh Bill,

You probably have checked out the 450 W unit that Euromoto sells. It would be a bit less attractive being as how you have already sprung for a regulator, but a friend with a little Guzzi / BMW shop here has installed a few and the feed-back is very pleased. The Ducati alternator is a little skinny in the output dept for electric vest, driving lights, radar detector, GPS, laser jammer, cell phone charger and espresso maker. OK ............ maybe a bit overboard, but still nice to have the extra capacity.

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/produc ... altkit.htm

I've gotten a few things that were not obtainable from Guzzi Reboot and have been not too shocked by the freight. I assume you've checked with A: Mark at Moto Guzzi Classics & B) Harper's? They are the 2 best used sources in the US that I know.

GD

How did you test the alternator? I hope reading AC voltage from the two yellow leads. At idle I believe you should get near 20Vac, and at high rpm 80Vac.

Thanks everyone, truely a family here.

John, I did check out the yellow leads and there was NO charge coming off the leads, and before I fired the engine up I did the ohms resistance check and it came out @ 0.000 which indicated a short in the stator. I pulled the altenator off the engine and found burnt insulation on the windings, and it appeared that the altenator had had quite alot of moisture if not down right flooding in the compartment as there was rust and thick corrosion on and inside the altenator, kinda like it was on the coast with a hint of salt water.

Still a GuzziLVR

GEODOC,

I went to the Euro Motoelectric site and checked out the 450 unit. According to the data the retrofit to a Guzzi is 1975 to 1993. Not so sure about the 98 I am trying to resurrect, But I will contact Euro and find out about later applications..

GuzziLVR

GuzziLVR said:
GEODOC,

I went to the Euro Motoelectric site and checked out the 450 unit. According to the data the retrofit to a Guzzi is 1975 to 1993. Not so sure about the 98 I am trying to resurrect, But I will contact Euro and find out about later applications..

GuzziLVR

If it fits that range, it won't fit the 1100 engine. The end of the crank is different on the 1100s.

Again John, you saved the day..... Still looking at parts places, salvage yards etc. It will RUN!!! I still have my '74 850 T to play with, but it really needs TLC and money thrown at it too.

Bill

I looked for a stator at MGcycle but don't see one, are they not available? I have a spare from a 98 EV that I might consider selling, send pm.

Back