• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2005 Nevada Classic - Changing Rear Main Seal

dinamasu

Just got it firing!
Has anyone changed the rear main seal and/or the transmission seal on a Nevada Classic?

Or has anyone paid a shop to do the above?

The Guzzi dealer {in the San Francisco East Bay area about 50 miles from me} that I took it to estimated 15+ hours of labor at $120/hour.
That amounted to $1,800 with no guarantee that the labor cost would not exceed that
by another few hours.

I will get another estimate at a local Independent shop in the Central Valley charges $65/hour labor and has done very good work for me on my Triumph and Kawasakis. I am taking my bike over to them to see if they would do the job.

I was going to order the parts from MG Cycle this morning, but they are only open Monday - Friday. So I will have to wait until Monday.
I think the cost of the parts is really minimal.

Any advice or past experiences would be appreciated.

---
Don Inamasu - 2005 Nevada Classic
Stockton, CA

Are you sure it's the rear main thats leaking. I've had some where it was the cases leaking. Put a wrench on the case bolts and see if there loose. If it is the seals, engine or trany you have to pull out the whole power train to get to them. It's not as bad as it sounds. The 750s are about the easest bike I've worked on. How bad is the leak did you happen to overfill the crankcase on either the engine or trany? The rear main is a one piece seal which is fariy easy to change . The only reall problem is lining up the clutch assy. It can be done without the factory toll but it takes some time and paitence.
lance

I agree with nutman.

It may of course be either of the 2 front seals on the gearbox unless you have been able to determine by type of oil. One is for the input shaft, the other is the pushrod seal.

All do-able. A rattle gun and long sockets help though to get the clutch housing off.

You probably won't know what you need until you get in there. Some of the bolts on the clutch should be replaced when accessed too. You may even want to replace the clutch while you are in there if there is a reasonable amount of wear.

Enjoy the expedition.

Hey Don, if it is in fact the rear main, it's a labor intensive job for sure. Are you willing to take it on yourself? There's a couple tools you must invest in if so. If you're not going to take it on yourself, are you willing to truck it somewhere south for a reasonable cost/fix?

Back