• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2007 Griso 1100 valve adjustment (valves)

jdelv

Tuned and Synch'ed
After consulting the forums, YouTube and even a local Guzzi owner, I adjusted the valves on my 2007 Griso 1100. 6300 miles on the odometer.

Getting the covers off was fairly straight forward, my gaskets were destroyed in removal. I used a razor blade to clean the surfaces. Be delicate to prevent scraped off gasket from getting into the motor.

After removing the plugs (one was whiter/crustier (running hotter?) than the other, but I lost track of which cylinder! I think it was the right though). It was fairly simple to find top dead center on the compression stroke. With the plugs pulled, in top gear I could move the rear tire. Using a head lamp I could look into the cylinder to see the piston movement, then I checked the marks on the flywheel. S=left D=right, however, the stamping machine must have been messed up in Mandello del Lario the day they stamped mine because it was only two lines that didn't look like a D. But the S was clear as could be. I knew I was at TDC on compression because both valves were closed (I knew this because both rockers rattled a bit due to the clearances).

So when I went to get out my gauges, I was thrilled to find that I didn't have one that could measure the intakes at .10 mm! I had to go to the local motorcycle shop to get me a new set of $20 gauges. Set me back about 40 minutes total.

Once I got going, it was pretty straight forward. I needed to adjust 3 of the 4 valves. When I had the right gauge in the gap and was working the screw, I tried to rattle the rocker. I made sure there was some drag, but not too much. No rattle with gauge in place, then I tightened. After tightening, I checked again and again to make sure I had the right spec for the right valve. You don't want to over tighten things, and I only used my human strength to tighten adjuster screws and covers.

New spark plugs too. Hopefully, I tightened everything up. This was my first valve job ever. These well nuts on the side cover front can be a pain when they fall through the frame--I sprayed a little lube on the screw so it didn't bind and just turn the well nut instead of ride the threads.

No leaks and it ran beautifully on the test ride. So I think I'm good. Next, suspension set up and new tires...then I'm ready for the MGNOC Rally in Virginia... :woohoo:

Attachments

• closed.jpg
    closed.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 1,351
  • adjustandrattle.jpg
    adjustandrattle.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,343
  • feelers.jpg
    feelers.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 1,338
  • handtighten.jpg
    handtighten.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,334
  • howadjusted.jpg
    howadjusted.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 1,341
  • leftadjusted.jpg
    leftadjusted.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 1,340
  • peekatplug.jpg
    peekatplug.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,334
  • plugs.jpg
    plugs.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 1,334
  • scrapegasket.jpg
    scrapegasket.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 1,334
  • wellnut.jpg
    wellnut.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,338
Well done, it is great to service your own machine. Some suggestions. When feeling the gap, press down on the rocker at the push rod end. Also for holding the adjuster, get a very small crescent wrench instead of vice grips. Method I use is to feel the gap, then tighten or loosen the adjuster as required and lock the nut, feel again, and adjust again as necessary. May take a few tries, but with practice you can dial in the gap pretty quick.

Nice writeup! I plan on doing the valves on my 07 soon. Already have the gaskets.

Question though. Why did you indicate above that those other feeler gauges are wrong to use. Is it just because they it's hard to use those other gauges, or are they flat out wrong for some other reason?

And you said you got the gauges at a local bike shop? What brand/type are they, if you don't mind my asking. Just curious.

MrMorrisSD said:
Nice writeup! I plan on doing the valves on my 07 soon. Already have the gaskets.

Question though. Why did you indicate above that those other feeler gauges are wrong to use. Is it just because they it's hard to use those other gauges, or are they flat out wrong for some other reason?

And you said you got the gauges at a local bike shop? What brand/type are they, if you don't mind my asking. Just curious.
Gauges were too thick. I could have measured the exhaust clearance okay (.006), but no gauge was thin enough to measure intake clearance (.004).

I don't have the brand of gauges here, but call around to see who sells a set starting at .002 and goes up. I called an auto store first, nothing in my .004 size. I ended up going to the local Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki dealer in town, of course after calling them first to see if they have it. I should have checked my gauges before I pulled the bike apart, but I assumed my feelers were the right size because I had 4 sets of feelers hanging around!

Alright. Thanks guys for the info. I have a set. Bought it a couple of years ago figuring it might come in handy. I just need to verify if it's got the right thicknesses.

At least doing the Guzzi engine looks like a nice, ergonomic situation, like doing the valves (same basic process as here) on the little boxer 1600cc engine in my Subaru 20+ years ago.

Good onya,easy isnt it.I use a plastic drinking straw, with a line marked at TDC with a fine permanent marker, to quickly find TDC on compression stroke. A red one for my Griso and a green one for wifeys Breva.

I just adjusted my valves. First time ever to take valve covers off of anything. It was pretty easy but I was scared to try at first. So easy though, and rewarding.

I was going to take it to the dealer. I got a quote from them for $250 to adjust valves and change oil (when I was considering buying this 2007 Griso 1100 off of Craigslist). Then I showed up after buying the bike two days later and they said it would be several days for an appointment. I just did it myself for $100 or so even buying their stuff at astronomical prices.

Feels good to have done it. Also changed 4 plugs and the battery. And bled all the brakes. It was stalling and running really rough with only 10,720 miles on it. Now it runs great. For the inner plugs I had to grind down a 5/8" socket to have thinner walls. And rotate the tank 90 degrees (4 bolts).

Good times. I absolutely love my Guzzi. I've had a string of BMW bikes and still have an R1200GSA. This Griso could be my favorite.

I'll ask this question here to avoid a new thread.

Does my 1975 T3 have the same size tappet adjustment nut as my 2007 Griso?

The ad for the nice-looking tool recommended above says it fits 1977-on big blocks, and a 11mm adjustment nut.

I'm cheap enough that I only want to buy the tool if it fits both my Guzzis, and I'm lazy enough not to want to open my valve cover just find out the nut size.

Thanks if anyone knows.

Back