• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2007 Norge: Galloping Idle from bad O2 Sensor or Stepper?

M0T0Geezer

Cruisin' Guzzisti
At 39,000 miles my 2007 Norge "1200" (2-valve) blew the CARC pod. The sound of ice in a blender comes to mind - but that's another heartache.

Now the idle has gone galloping (about 2K rpm) and the ECU is throwing O2 Sensor error codes. Damm.

Dealer says a new O2 sensor is $300. He put in a good (?) used one for $30 but the idle/error problem persists; Idle slowly climbs from 1200 to 2000+ rpm. On the way up, Error Code pops up at 1500 rpm.

I'll buy a new O2 sensor, but first I want to feel sure it's not a problem arising from clogged injectors or a bad Throttle Stepper Motor - like discussed here:
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/una-storia-steppermotoria.15653/

This is such a beautiful bike, it deserves to be kept on the road - just to keep the little people aware of what a Real Touring Motorcycle looks like.

Any help from y'all would be MAJORLY appreciated. Thank You !
'Geezer
20181005_Guzzi_Girl_m.jpg

Block the stepper hose to the TBs, and observe whether the problem still exists.

If this doesn't reveal the problem, then I would recommend going open loop, making the O2 sensor superfluous. The map would need to be tweaked to stop the dreaded triangle of death appearing in the dash. Todd's reflash kit available on this site will provide this feature.

Anyone here know what the Part # & Brand is for the "generic O2 sensor" mentioned above by Brian IK?

The $300 Guzzi one is too golden a price to pay for if I can help it.

Thanks,

'Geezer

Anyone here know what the Part # & Brand is for the "generic O2 sensor" mentioned above by Brian IK?

The $300 Guzzi one is too golden a price to pay for if I can help it.

Thanks,

'Geezer

About the only real differences in O2 sensors is the number of wires (Guzzi has 4, two for heater and 2 for signal) and the connector. Just find the same number sensor (on the actual sensor) and if necessary marry it to your connector. It is the same as for some Fiat that isn't imported to the US, but you may be able to cross reference it. I hate to reference out but since Todd doesn't sell them (yet) Here is a source from the UK. https://www.sparkplugsrus.com/ntkngk-oza341-bb1-lambda-sensor-41-p.asp I had a source in the US but they seem to have closed up shop.

Yes, the standard 4 wire, but I believe there is also a wide band type, which would not be directly equivalent.
The only difference in the 4 wire type is the connector. From what I can see, those used by Vauxhall/Opel (General Motors) are the same as Guzzi use. Fiat will almost certainly be the same. Those for Japanese vehicles are not, and I don't think the German manufacturers use the same either. But here in the UK they can be bought for under 16 pounds - $20 ish?

Thank You (!!) all for such useful info. After picking the Norge up next week I will post a follow up report on how your suggestions were implimented and how they worked out. Ciao for now...

20181211 UPDATE & FIX FYI: At last! The 2007 "Norginator" - 39,000 miles - has recovered from multiple illnesses, in two completely unrelated categories.

(1) Total CARC Failure. The rear drive pod apparently had leaked itself dry and [understandaby] failed. This was announced by sudden onset of whining and sounds like ice in a blender. My fault: I didn't check it immediately after taking ownership from the P.O.

I've had five other shaft drive bikes and in several hundred thousand overall miles never gave a thought to checking their oil level. Dealer took care of that at looo-ong intervals.

If new new CARCs were even available they'd be about $2,000. Luckily one of the forum members had a good used one which he sold for only $350. It's working well, at least for 100 miles so far! CHECK YOUR CARC OIL OFTEN!

(2) Galloping idle (2,000 - 2,500 rpm) accompanied by various error codes blaming the O2 sensor. Onset was gradual over 500 miles. A new O2 sensor (a copatible one from a Fiat for $30 instead of the $300 Guzzi-branded one) failed to cure. Dealer was still getting O2 error codes. The final cure was almost accidental: Finding multiple, severe cracks in the collector Y-pipe under the motor that houses the O2 sensor. This was leaking large amounts of outside air into the exhaust stream, thereby fooling the O2 sensor and causing the Engine Control Unit to make erroneous adjustments to the fuel mixture. A good used Y-pipe off of eBay ($250) fixed the idle problem and squelched the dashboard alerts. GT-Rx / GuzziTech here offers these new, via their own aftermarket manufacture for $390 by the way:

https://gtmotocycles.com/collections/exhaust/products/gt-motocycles-norge-1200-2v-y-pipe

Just a "bump" and also a link to the "Big Block fyi" text file that I maintain, primarily regarding the 2-Valve Norge 1200 USA model. Mine is a 2007

dansher.com/bikepix/Guzzi/Norge1200/Norge_2007_fyi.txt

Hopefully it will help some one [or more] of you get your Guzzi put right.
Thanks this Guzzi Tech Forum and especially to all those whose work, experience, and superior knowledge have unknowingly contributed to this aggregation of Moto Guzzi love and lore.

'Geezer

Back