• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2007 V1200 sport clutch

Barney

Just got it firing!
I have a dry sqeaking sound from the clutch, and the clutch has become a little heavy to operate.
The bike has over 40000ks on it .
Any suggestions

It could be nothing. It could also be the thrust bearing going west or the plates de-rivetting. How do you ride? If always hard and fast with lots of slamming through the gears its possibly the plates. If you sit at lights with your clutch held in for long periods it could be the thrust bearing crying 'Uncle'. It might just be that the lever pivot is dry and needs greasing!

If it was mine I'd probably pull the swingarm and have a squizz at the slave cylinder and thrust assembley but I don't want to start scare stories as there are none. The Guzzi twin plater used in the 1200 Sport 2-valver is tried and true and has a very low failure rate.

Pete

I suppose I half expected the thrust race, but it goes away when enough pressure is applied to cuase the fingers to take some load, so dont think it is the thrust. Plates have never been abused, dont do flat changes or clutch slipping.
I was hoping it might be a pivot point through the bell housing, if it has one ? If it has I cant find it.
Had done the lever pivot point.

No fingers as the clutch plates are compressed by 10 coil springs.

There is no pivot either, the slave cylinder presses directly on the 'Outer Body' which is a small housing for the thrust bearing which sits in the back of the gearbox.

GU08400_50.gif

Pete

Does not seem like I have too many options .
I am going on a trip of about 4500ks tomorrow so will see what it is like when I get back in a week or so.
Do the clutch plates slide on a sleeve on the shaft? maybe that is dry? It seems strange it is only noisey when there is only a very light load on it.

Barney said:
Does not seem like I have too many options .
I am going on a trip of about 4500ks tomorrow so will see what it is like when I get back in a week or so.
Do the clutch plates slide on a sleeve on the shaft? maybe that is dry? It seems strange it is only noisey when there is only a very light load on it.

The clutch plates move ever so slightly on a hub gear which is fastened to the clutch shaft of the gearbox. It is dry from the factory and should stay dry. If it is lubed, that lube can retain clutch dust that is abrasive and causes premature wear of the hub gear which may result in the clutch not dis-engaging. The clutch plates and hub were re-designed in the late 1980s or early 1990s to prevent this common problem with the old design.

Returned last week from 5500k jaunt in 12 days clutch is fine squeak has gone!

Back