• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2008 Norge...CANbus??

CKC132

Just got it firing!
Does anyone know if the 2008 Norge 1200 is CANbus? I am installing a Coocase and apparently CANbus is a different install.

Thanks in advance!!

No it is not a CanBus, but the taillight assembly are LEDS, What do you want to do with the light on the box, running light,Brake light or a combo of both if that is possible on the CooCase ?

Thanks for the reply. I want to run both running and brake lights on the Coocase, which is LED...

CKC132 said:
Thanks for the reply. I want to run both running and brake lights on the Coocase, which is LED...

You could try paralleling the running and brake light connections with those on the bike, but I suspect you will require an isolating diode at least. Are the LEDs on the Coocase separate for running and brake, or the same LEDs that just get brighter when the brake is applied, as on your Norge?

Well I have an LED brake light on my Givi top box, and that works fine when just patched into the brake light supply on the bike. Standard 12 volts.

kiwi dave said:
CKC132 said:

You could try paralleling the running and brake light connections with those on the bike, but I suspect you will require an isolating diode at least. Are the LEDs on the Coocase separate for running and brake, or the same LEDs that just get brighter when the brake is applied, as on your Norge?

I have a "wire harness" that came with the case but was not sure if the bike was CANbus or not. The instructions are pretty easy to understand as long as you know the type of wiring. Thanks for the info...

Hi... Nope thats not a canbus, But, the Coocase IS really nice. The high-end version is even more money but it has lights, a keyless entry system and an alarm. It also has a nice padded liner and is very well made. We'll see how the Bestem holds up, but I'm quite sure the Coocase will be around for a long time to come.

Thanks,
Anthony

In the Norge 2007 wiring diagram, there is a Can-L and Can-H. I just assume these where the two lines for the Canbus. Does anyone know what these lines are exactly?

RJVB said:
CAN requires 2 lines, not unlike a telephone line.

Yes. That's why I suggested that CAN-l (one line) and Can-H (other line) seem to comprise the Canbus. I always understood that Canbus stood for Controller Area Network and it was the communications path between the ECU and the Dash that accounted for and responded to all of the key inputs (side stand down, clutch switch, engine sensor etc.)

Although I don't know for sure, I would think that makes the Norge Canbus does it not?

That said, it would be a heck of a lot easier to figure these things out if Piaggo gave the complete schematic to the ECU and Dashboard...but since they are currently only white blocks on a page its only a guess....

Canbus is a proprietary protocol by Bosch specifically and successfully designed for the automotive environment.
It is a digital serial protocol cleverly implemented.
Given this, there are dozens of other ways to implement your own digital protocol to make you incompatible and avoid having to pay patent cash to Bosch.
But there is some reasoning for most automotive companies selecting canbus and not going down the way of designing their own digital busses:
a.It works
b.all your subcontractors that make components and usually supply other companies too all share a common digital communication platform so there is no need each time to reinvent the (digital) wheel to design a modern bell & whistles car.
If your 2-3 electronics sub contractors only supply 2-3 more local (italian) companies then no need to go can bus - just design your bus.

It is a great pitty that we miss OBD kind of standardization in the bike world.
I never understood why.

I have heard a rumour that the bus used is actually called LIN-Bus. This stands for Local Interconnect Network. LIN is actually a subset of CAN (I would imagine in its simplest form). I am doing some research on this right now and will update when I know more...

Oz1200Guzzi said:
I have heard a rumour that the bus used is actually called LIN-Bus. This stands for Local Interconnect Network. LIN is actually a subset of CAN (I would imagine in its simplest form). I am doing some research on this right now and will update when I know more...

Thanks Tony. I really appreciate any information you might dig up on this issue. I'm fascinated that this is such a mystery.

I'd be really amazed if all cars talked the same CAN protocol! I remember seeing a 20h news item (!) about flaring car repair costs in which a generic workshop owner complained they couldn't do a simple replacement of something like a brake caliper on a recent BMW because of a proprietary CAN issue. It's not like it's difficult to define your own protocol, either. There are nice sides to CAN but I no longer really know what to think when hearing stories like just mentioned, or the hubbub it provokes simply installing a car radio in my gf's car.

As to the Norge: from what I recall, only the communication between the ECU and the dash is multiplexed - sensors still send their traditional analog signals.

Digital Protocols are like onions: In the core layers rest the physical description, the basic electrical characteristics, data pack description, arbitration of data packets-description of node architecture etc. This design standardization between subcontractors mess is instantly resolved up to the ready-to-buy-chips and cabling to manufacture your subsystem according to the commissioned requirements if you go the proven CAN bus way.
Whether this subsystem is and how integrated in the vehicle's system resides in outer "onion layers" describing sent and expected data between nodes which differ according to each company design policy .
So do not expect to fit VW CAN bus parts to BMW cars even if they are the same Bosch parts.
The good thing is that hooking on to CAN bus lines trying to do some reverse engineering to alter things according to your will is fairly documented so you are not probing into entirely uncharted territory.
But this is all the help you can get without manufacturer "sacred book" data usually not found.
So you could fit the VW part to the BMW car but this would need so many man-hours of reverse engineering and extra "piggy-back" designing that it is practically not feasible.

OK - now it's starting to gel...

A local contact (OK a fellow Guzzisti and now I owe him a few beers) put me onto these items:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-VAG-...tive_Tools&hash=item35b9107192#ht_4099wt_1111 and http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fiat-3pi...t=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item27c3809aa5 and some software called DucatiDiag.

Now I can talk from my old laptop through USB port, through the first cable, through the second cable which plugs into the ECU connector under the seat - what's more, they seem happy talking amongst themselves - definitely not CAN as CAN requires a CAN-H, a CAN-L as well as a common and is three wires. The resultant LIN interface is a high speed serial link.

When I get the combination on the Oscilloscope and/or/data analyser I will be able to add more.

Total cost of these cables is less than AUD$20.00 - money well spent.

Back