• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2008 - Stelvio v4 - should I?

rjt_guzzi

Just got it firing!
Hi, am new here and new to guzzis so please be nice ;-)

However, one step in the right direction i HAVE been to the factory, albeit on my old BMW GSA ;-)

So...... am now considering guzzi ownership. a 2008 Stelvio caught my eye, low mileage and looks immaculate......

It is the 4V version though. Should I be spending more for the 8V version? What are the general opinions here? Also, I saw the notes about the CAM issue, would need to get that checked out for sure

Appreciate any feedback!

Robert

There's a similar recent thread just below yours. Some pointers in there, have the service log checked by the dealer if possible to verify any recalls. Mines a 2008, had it 5 years, wont be changing.

For some reason, in Guzzi speak they are referred to as either 2 valve motors or 8 valve motors. It does kinda make sense, it makes it easier to distinguish between the two. The 2 valve motors are very reliable. The 8 valve motors can be, but they do have the whole tappet thing, which can be catastrophic if it happens.

thanks! am less concerned say about the reliability (of course this is an issue) BUT more to do with rideability. Is there a difference in power delivery, torque thru the rev range etc. I heard the 8v bring the power more linear whereas the 4v only half way thru the range? Any thoughts or experience?

I would say the 2 valve motor has the more linear power delivery.
From what I hear the 8 valve motor has more power in the mid and upper ranges than the 2 valve motor but it does not have the same advantage in the low to mid range. That should mean a less linear power delivery, but perhaps a more entertaining power delivery.
What I can tell you for sure is that the 2 valve motor is not likely to be called slow. It is a very nice motor with very usable power. It is only if you are expecting triple digit power and speed that it is going to disappoint.
Which one you would prefer is hard for me to say, but they both have their advantages. In my opinion the 2 valve motor is very linear with almost an electric motor power curve (we have a 2007 Griso and a 2001 V11 with the 2 valve motor). The 8 valve motor, there are a couple versions of them. The early 8 valve motors were reportedly more peaky and the later 8 valve motors addressed this and took some of the top end and spread it out into the midrange.
So, I think it depends on what you want.

hmmmm - am now really confused!! I want linear power tbh - am not a speed freak, just like somoe grunt and acceleration. the first one I saw is a 2008 with the 4V label on the faiting and have now seen a 2010 ntx model which I am told is the 8V but dont know if earlier or later model if honest - all very confusing. The 2010 looks great as has the panniers nd extra lights etc but costs of course more too - just dont know what to do!

hmmmm - am now really confused!! I want linear power tbh - am not a speed freak, just like somoe grunt and acceleration. the first one I saw is a 2008 with the 4V label on the faiting and have now seen a 2010 ntx model which I am told is the 8V but dont know if earlier or later model if honest - all very confusing. The 2010 looks great as has the panniers nd extra lights etc but costs of course more too - just dont know what to do!

Well if you were a speed freak neither model would satisfy you.. The 8V has only about 90 rwhp and with 650 lbs + to haul does fine but nothing Id call fast. I really like my 13 but in these days of 130hp adv bikes its less than cutting edge performance.

I thought the Stelvio only came with the new 8 valve motor.
So, I think with a Stelvio you only have to worry about which version of the 8 valve motor it has. There was the A8, A5, and maybe another version. The earlier ones were a bit more aggressive with their cams I think, making them a bit more hairy chested. The later versions were supposed to be more refined. I would rather have an early version, but I only have older Guzzi's (nothing newer than '07).

If it hasn't been clarified already, the Stelvio was only offered in the 4-valve per head engines. The power ratings over the years have changed from revised camshaft profiles, but they are largely the same. There was a run of camshaft issues on early models, so be sure the one you are looking at has been updated. The early engines were shared with the Griso, and are among my all time favorite for power. Hope that helps.
Edit: Mike above beat me to the post, but we're saying the same thing. The newest motor is the A10. A5 was the original (full power Griso) motor, and the softer cam motor was the A8, and now A10. '13+ motors have the new roller rocker valve assemblies.

the reason why I was confused about the engine is the labls on the bike - from this pic you can see 4V and I always thought the motors were 8V (but I guess 4 x 2 = 8 right!!)

so if this is the case then I guess it comes down to preference. The 2008 bike only has 5k on the clock but had 3 former owners, the 2010 has 26k on it but think one previous owner only! both look immacualte. the 2010 is the NTX model with the panniers and ABS which is a clear advantage - not sure about the "high" mileage though

posted both pics of the bikes and would appreciate any opinions

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 7
  • s_2.jpg
    s_2.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 9
26k miles is not really high mileage on a Guzzi.
I would say between the higher mileage and the age difference it is a wash.
A 2008 with only 5k miles is not clearly better than a 2010 with 26k miles. Based strictly on age and mileage I would actually prefer the newer bike with the higher mileage, at least I would know the newer higher mileage bike was ridden and taken care of. The older 2008 with 5k miles may have spent a lot of time sitting and being ignored. I don't know.
In the end, I think it comes down to which one you prefer. I think those two may have two of the three different versions of the 8 valve motor as Todd explained, that may play a part in your decision.

As to terminology, I think 2 valve and 8 valve works best because there is no doubt which Guzzi motor you are referring to. A 2 valve motor has two valves per cylinder meaning it has four valves total. An 8 valve motor has eight valves total but four valves per cylinder. So if you use the term 4 valve motor it could be referring to four valves per cylinder OR four valves total.

in comparing these two models there is in fact only £1100 difference. When I consider this and think about wanting panniers anyway, the cost difference is in effect even smaller. i contacted the company about the 2010 model and he confirmed the cam issue was delat with and has a receipt for it. the bike has had two owners, the second one only putting a little over a 1000 miles on it, the rest was done by the first owner. Am REALLY tempted as I like the look but am concerned I have never ridden one and maybe being impulsive. thanks to you all for the advice!

If you can get a test ride on one that would be ideal.
Guzzi's are not as interchangable as most other brands, where a Honda is like a Kawasaki is like a Suzuki is like a Yamaha. They have a fairly distinct character and when you ride one you are sure what you are riding. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on whether you like the way Guzzi's work or not. Riding one is really the only way to know. The first time I rode a Guzzi, I still remember it clear as day. I loved it and told my friend (who was letting me ride his brand new Guzzi) that if he ever wants to sell this bike I will buy it from him. Years later (after I had already bough a couple Guzzi's of my own) he sold it to me. It is as cool now as it was that first ride.

I bought mine from Keep Biking last week, that is where the later model you are looking at is. Nice guys in the shop. I have developed a fault though (more on it in another thread), so we will see what their warranty and after sales service is like now. They will let you test ride but charge, I think £25 which they refund if you buy the bike.

First time Guzzi owner and I already love the thing - it put a massive smile on my face.

Is exactly the bike i was looking at - great comms so far! He told me the last one didnt hang about and predicts this one wont either! Been down the bmw route and although i loved my gsa was thinking something else this time! They dont hang about though, the other one is sold already!

Back