• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2010 Griso newbie...

schimenator

Tuned and Synch'ed
I just picked up my brand spanking new 2010 Griso. Beautiful bike.

Any way, I've owned street bikes since I was 14, but they were all Japanese. This is my first motociclo italiano so I'm a little lost. Where is the petcock to switch from main to reserve fuel? I looked in the manual and can't find one.

I've been reading about engine mapping on this site. Were all the issues sorted out by 2010 or so I need to get an update?

Grazie mille

Petcocks went out with the ark :D

You bike has a fuel pump in the tank. as long as there is fuel in there to be pumped? It'll be pumped. No gravity feed or even the need for an external petcock as you would for an external pump.

Your bike has a fuel light on the dashboard. When it comes on you've got about 50 gentle miles before it rolls to a stop. The light is operated by a thermistor in the tank. when it isn't submerged it'll warm up and trigger the light. If the weather is very hot it may trigger even with lots of fuel on board. Use common sense.

Pete

I don't entirely trust the fuel warning light so I zero one of the tripmeters (there's 2) when I fill up. When I first got the G8v I kept a check on how much fuel it was using (it got better as the engine bedded down). I've never got more than 150 miles from a tank full so I start looking for fuel at 100 miles and start panicking at 125 miles.

Good choice Will!
You know that in Italy the 8V is not delivered in red?? Sounds incredidle...
There are some Griso owners with red 8Vs, but they had to paint it or use 850/1100 parts :)

It was not bad the Rosso Astore, presented in Milan years ago for the Griso SE:

2010motoguzzigriso12008.jpg

Now this color is used for the V7.

Congratulations on your red beauty. You've been given the answers to your question so don't be shy if you have additional ones. The dealer you purchased from should have ensured you had the latest and correct EFI map. I don't think there's been a later one for these bikes for a while now though. The latest one ends in 068s.

All the best,

Mark

No petcock? How do you shut off the fuel when you pull the tank?

Anybody know what the story is with chromed hole above the swing arm pivot? Spare spark plug storage perhaps?

I did notice there's no choke.

The bike's a trip. Every time I start it I think it's got a big block V8 because of how it shakes (never has a transverse mounted engine on any of my bikes before). Then when I ride I'm reminded of my old CL 350 scrambler because of the wide bars.

schimenator said:
Anybody know what the story is with chromed hole above the swing arm pivot? Spare spark plug storage perhaps?
There is a quick release that holds the fuel when you remove the tank. There should be little reason to pull a tank on a G8V.
The chrome trim/hole is a design element based on the frame. Feel free to use it to store whatever you'd like.
There is a warm up circuit with a "stepper motor" that controls cold start. No choke needed.

schimenator said:

The bike's a trip. Every time I start it I think it's got a big block V8 because of how it shakes (never has a transverse mounted engine on any of my bikes before). Then when I ride I'm reminded of my old CL 350 scrambler because of the wide bars.

Wow, how old is the last bike you rode?

No carbs = fuel injection = no petcock (fuel doesn't leak out as long as the pump doesn't run) = no need for a choke.
Some early FI bikes (like the ducati monster) use an up-idle lever, but for the most part bikes do all that work by themselves these days.

You might have to siphon the fuel out of the tank prior to removal to make it light enough. You just can't drain them these days.

schimenator said:
Now you're giving me a complex. My last bike was a 2003 1200 Bandit.

No don't go get a complex and leave, Please there is a wealth of knowledge here on this board and others, You just have to expect some friendly lumps with your newbie to Guzzi status. Do you plan to have the bike serviced by a REAL Guzzi dealership ? Of which there are several in the US and a lot of just Sell the product ones. Where did you purchase the Bike and what dealer ? If your going to service the bike yourself then soak up all the knowledge you can here and and on other forums. The most important thing you should know in the care and feeding of your OIL and AIR COOLED 8 v is use the recommended oil 10w60 4T Full Synthetic, doesn't matter what brand. Don't let a servicing dealer tell you ( The REAL ones wont ) that something other is alright. There are NO dumb or stupid questions here.

Attachments

• SAM_0017.jpg
    SAM_0017.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 871
Welcome! Be sure to remove those factor tank stickers straight away . . . a real PITA that even my dealer wouldn't do for fear of scracting the plastic! A hairdryer helps. Ride safe.

I bought the bike at Ducati of San Antonio. I assume they are the authorized Guzzi dealer, but they only had 2 new Guzzis. Nice enough people, it's just that they look to sell Ducatis and Augustas. I haven't been able to talk to their service Bubbas yet.

I plan on letting them do the 3000 mile service and after that I will do everything except clutch, forks and electric/electronic faults.

I was getting around to the oil question. I'm kind of leery about mentioning it. I remember from the Bandit forums how something so simple could cause people to get so irrational. My Bandit is the same size and is also air/oil cooled and runs fine on 10/30. This thing really needs $12/liter oil?

And those hideous stickers.
Goodvibes said:
Welcome! Be sure to remove those factor tank stickers straight away . . . a real PITA that even my dealer wouldn't do for fear of scracting the plastic! A hairdryer helps. Ride safe.
What's your technique? You heat them with a hair dryer. Dealer told me they came off with a fingernail. Dealer lied.

Welcome Schimenator! Yup, the 10w 60 oil is important with the 8V motors. Search the forum under the CARC, Stelvio or Griso headings for motor oil threads.

Its funny how the Japanese makers got the reputation for advanced technology. Once you learn a bit of MGs history you'll find that this mark had invented a good portion of features used by most motorcycles today. Guzzi has been using FI since about he mid '90s. I think its a cost issue for most makes relative to their target market. High HP for low price is a common approach. But not Guzzi, they design for what works in the Alps. And your gonna have fun making your Griso your own.

schimenator said:
I plan on letting them do the 3000 mile service and after that I will do everything except clutch, forks and electric/electronic faults.
I bet, when the time comes, you'll be able to tackle any of these areas with the help the of folks on this forum.

Ride safe and ride a lot.

Welcome, Schimenator, to Guzzidom, and, even better, to the exclusive world of the RED Griso. :laugh:

Will said:
I don't entirely trust the fuel warning light so I zero one of the tripmeters (there's 2) when I fill up. When I first got the G8v I kept a check on how much fuel it was using (it got better as the engine bedded down). I've never got more than 150 miles from a tank full so I start looking for fuel at 100 miles and start panicking at 125 miles.

pete roper said:

Your bike has a fuel light on the dashboard. When it comes on you've got about 50 gentle miles before it rolls to a stop.

Pete

Are you nuts, Pete? :whistle:

And, Will, I get scared at 100. ;)

GriGio said:
Good choice Will!
You know that in Italy the 8V is not delivered in red?? Sounds incredible...
There are some Griso owners with red 8Vs, but they had to paint it or use 850/1100 parts :)

As for no red G12's in Italy, well, GriGio, sometimes life is fair. :p

Bill

Attachments

• Believe Orange Lights.jpg
    Believe Orange Lights.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 395
Fuel ecconomy seems to improve a lot with miles Bill. I get 20km/l nowadays if riding gently. With 4 litres left after the light comes on thats 80Km which is near as dammit 50 miles :D . If I 'Get up it'in the twisties? All bets are off, the ecconomy plummets.

Pete

schimenator said:
Goodvibes said:
What's your technique? You heat them with a hair dryer. Dealer told me they came off with a fingernail. Dealer lied.
Warm them up and get an edge going with a fingernail. Pull at a right angle and go S L O W. I also used a credit card which was very helpful.

Bill Hagan said:
Welcome, Schimenator, to Guzzidom, and, even better, to the exclusive world of the RED Griso. :laugh:

No offense to owners of lesser colors, but the red is gorgeous.

Rafael said:
High HP for low price is a common approach. But not Guzzi, they design for what works in the Alps.

Oddly enough my Guzzi has over a 10 horsepower advantage over my Bandit. I haven't wrung out the Guzzi yet, but from the seat it feels like the Guzzi is down 10 horsepower. That feeling may change when I get it broke in and can really take it out and wank on it. It may also be that the Guzzi has a much peakier power band.

Hey what's the skinny on the tank cover? I tried my tank bag and it wouldn't stick. I assume there's some kind of plastic shroud over it. That the case? Am I supposed to wax it, or maybe just clean with dish soap?

Plastic huh? Anything special I need to know about it? Will it break if I but a case of beer in a strap on tank bag? Don't reckon I'd have to wax it. Dish soap ok to clean it?

Back