• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2011 Stelvio Reliability

stromcat

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Hi Everyone,
Thought I would introduce myself as I have recently joined this site.I have just ordered a new standard 2011 Stelvio having part exed a Vstrom 1000.I fell in love with the Stelvio after a long test ride of an NTX.Just how reliable are the new Stelvios,and are there any things I should look out for when I take delivery,which should be in the next few days?
Thanks in advance.

stromcat said:
Hi Everyone,
Thought I would introduce myself as I have recently joined this site.I have just ordered a new standard 2011 Stelvio having part exed a Vstrom 1000.I fell in love with the Stelvio after a long test ride of an NTX.Just how reliable are the new Stelvios,and are there any things I should look out for when I take delivery,which should be in the next few days?
Thanks in advance.

what do you want to hear ? :p

stromcat said:
Hi Everyone,
Thanks in advance.

Welcome the other darkside Stormcat!

I don't own a Stelvio, but I do own a Norge and a Vstrom 1000. I prefer the guzzi over the V in some areas (the rumble, the ease at which it drives, and most of all---- the look), but in others I prefer the V (seated position).

I believe if I had a Stelvio NTX (with the larger gas tank) I wouldn't want the Vstrom. Unfortunately, finding one in NA seems to be a year away. The only concern I would have with the Stelvio, is with the single dry clutch plate. Which if you need to change means splitting the engine. Probably the worse job on a guzzi. That said, don't worry, anyone with a little bit of wrenching experience can do the clutch replacement. That said, if the Stelvio is like my Norge, you will find the feel of the clutch much different that the Vstrom.

Not too worried about the dry clutch.I had a GS1150 before the Vstrom,that did 48000 miles on the original before I swapped it for the Suzuki.I am more worried about the cam/tappet issues,or have these been sorted now?

The 2011 Stelvio in the UK should have the roller cam followers fitted, so any problems relating to the older followers will not apply to your model.

I like yourself had a GS1150, a great bike and was totally reliable during six years and 30 odd thousand miles. I swapped it for a new 2009 Stelvio which over two years and 10,000miles was quite reliable....the speedo sensor failed in heavy rain, and the bike also developed a misfire; both these issues were easily and quickly rectified by my local dealer, the bike never left me stranded at the roadside or ever failed to start.

I have two mates with Stelvios which are used all year round, who have covered several thousand miles without any problems at all, one of these bikes is left uncovered on the street in Scotland (you know how bad the weather can be up there), and never fails to start and the finish is lasting far better than it did on his previous GS1150ADV.

I was so impressed with my original Stelvio I happily swapped it ( and my Tiger1050) for the later model 2011 NTX, which I've only had for a few weeks and only done 360 miles so far. There is no reason why these bikes shouldn't be at least as reliable as any BMW, and probably more so. Have you been on the UKGSer website, you'll soon see how reliable the modern 1200 BMWs are.

If I had a Norge, I would worry about those fragile riveted clutch plates.
So far the Stelvio clutch (and most everything else) is just fine after 33,000 miles on mine.

Seriously, has there been a SINGLE reported Stelvio clutch failure on this planet?

Wayne Orwig said:
If I had a Norge, I would worry about those fragile riveted clutch plates.
So far the Stelvio clutch (and most everything else) is just fine after 33,000 miles on mine.

Seriously, has there been a SINGLE reported Stelvio clutch failure on this planet?

Yup. Changed my Norge fiction plates at 33,000 km. Damn low in my book. The fiction plates were completely worn.....black...

Thanks guys,I look forward to many happy miles on my Stelvio.I like to keep a bike for a good few years so I am glad to hear the positive thoughts on the bike.Hope to post some photos when I get it.

I received my new 2011 Stelvio 2 months ago and have now +6000 km on the clock . So quite young but all runs fine.
With my 2007 Norge I'm closing the 100.000 km mark and had no issues.
Rgds , Marc (Belgium)

hi had my 2011 ntx for a couple of months now and put around 2500 miles on her, brilliant!! gets better with every mile no real issues to speak of the headlamps still have incorrect dip pattern for UK roads which i understand is being sorted very soon (hopefully now dark on my return from work) and slow parts supply still waiting for guzzi parts ordered 2 months ago to say i'm pleased with the stelvio is a huge understatement the only other serious contender for my money was the gs and for my use commuting and the odd 4000 mile holiday tour the guzzi seemed better, nicer, more fun, and more exculsive for me and surprise, it also seems that way for 2 of my mates who have gs's so i feel the exclusive thing may become less so my first guzzi and am loving every mile of it cheers Paul.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I also have a couple of pals who have traded over to Stelvios after spending a few years on GS BMWs, no regrets after a couple of years ownership from them. I also swapped a GS1150 after six years of happy ownership for my first Stelvio. There was no way I would have bougt a GS1200.
My original 2009 Stelvio came with the headlights mal-adjusted, the dealer was able to sort it without replacing any parts as far I remember. I had two happy years with that bike, then part ex'ed it for the latest model. The Stelvio is a superb motorcycle. :)

Mrcanns, what parts have you been waiting for? and what dealer?
There does seem to be quite a discrepancy between dealers regarding the time it takes to get parts. OK if they are really out of stock in Italy, then you do have to wait, but my local dealer got me an oil pump, ordered Monday morning, I had it Friday morning, all the way from Italy.

only superficial items a ntx sticker probably damaged when shipped and the instrument surround that has marks on from where the airfoils were removed as per guzzi instruction at pdi only cosmetic but as my first brand new straight from the box bike i would prefer to damage it myself, Edd at Haywards is most embarresed about the delay not really a problem for me just concerned as i sold my aprillia caponord because it was impossible to get parts for (didn't need many through)thanks for reply Paul.

Back