• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2013 Stelvio sudden voltage failure

ttorrey

Just got it firing!
Hi All, I was riding in the Moab today and my bike was riding great. I stopped for gas and went to start then bike and nothing. Just click, click, click. I checked the battery connection and fuses. They were fine. I then bump started the bike and ddidn't get far when I started losing all power. I took it to a local non-guzzi shop, charged the battery and checked it under load with a voltmeter. The bike started fine and registered a 3 volt drop at starting and then went back to 12.5 volts. However, when I revved the engine several times there was no brief jump in the voltage. It would appear that the charging system is not working but I did not get any previous warning,,,? Thoughts? Thanks=Todd

30 amp fuse behind the triangular panel on the right side mid bike just below the seat. Remove the panel and you will see it. It is the fuse for the lighting relay that also feeds the exciter for the alternator. Your auxiliary lamps are most likely shorted. Remove the rubber boots on the back of the six lights on the crash bars and you may see the wires burnt. Could also be the wires them selves.

Change the fuse and turn off the aux lights until you can get them changed. Do a search and you will see this documented. You can install fuses in line with the lights but just a bandaid for the problem. Won't blow the 30 amp fuse but will still short out the lights. Vibrations are just too much. Others have had luck with other styles. I just removed them all together and installed LED ones on the front fender.

30 amp fuse behind the triangular panel on the right side mid bike just below the seat. Remove the panel and you will see it. It is the fuse for the lighting relay that also feeds the exciter for the alternator. Your auxiliary lamps are most likely shorted. Remove the rubber boots on the back of the six lights on the crash bars and you may see the wires burnt. Could also be the wires them selves.

Change the fuse and turn off the aux lights until you can get them changed. Do a search and you will see this documented. You can install fuses in line with the lights but just a bandaid for the problem. Won't blow the 30 amp fuse but will still short out the lights. Vibrations are just too much. Others have had luck with other styles. I just removed them all together and installed LED ones on the front fender.

My Canadian Friend, It has taken me a couple of days, but your quick response to my post saved my behind! That was the exact issue and once you pointed me in the right direction, it took me about 20 minutes to be back on the road again. Can't thank you enough! All the Best,

Hi All, I was riding in the Moab today and my bike was riding great. I stopped for gas and went to start then bike and nothing. Just click, click, click. I checked the battery connection and fuses. They were fine. I then bump started the bike and ddidn't get far when I started losing all power. I took it to a local non-guzzi shop, charged the battery and checked it under load with a voltmeter. The bike started fine and registered a 3 volt drop at starting and then went back to 12.5 volts. However, when I revved the engine several times there was no brief jump in the voltage. It would appear that the charging system is not working but I did not get any previous warning,,,? Thoughts? Thanks=Todd
Hi. My 2 cents worth ( 15 year dealer retired yes Stelvio owner) there is a fuse #1 in the steering head fuseblock that controls brake light, headlights, fog lights ALTERNATOR,and horns. It is only 10 amps==== I replaced with 15. This kills all of these functions while not blowing the dreaded 30 amp side mounted fuse. Look under the rubber cover that is secured with 2 l/s rubber clips. Just flip to the right and check the forwardmost fuse. Hope this helps you. Dave

Hi. My 2 cents worth ( 15 year dealer retired yes Stelvio owner) there is a fuse #1 in the steering head fuseblock that controls brake light, headlights, fog lights ALTERNATOR,and horns. It is only 10 amps==== I replaced with 15. This kills all of these functions while not blowing the dreaded 30 amp side mounted fuse. Look under the rubber cover that is secured with 2 l/s rubber clips. Just flip to the right and check the forwardmost fuse. Hope this helps you. Dave

That fuse has nothing to do with the 30 amp fuse. The 30 amp is directly wired to the battery and is unswitched. It feeds power to the lighting relay and then that power is feed to the bike when the relay triggers. It is downstream of that power that shorts and blows the 30 amp fuse.

The fuse that you are speaking about controls the trigger on the relay (and other things), not the power through the relay for the bike. You are correct, if the 10 amp fuse blows it will also kill the relay, but from not triggering it, not from no voltage to it. The 30 amp would still supply power to the relay, but it would not trigger to supply power to the bike.

Also, just be careful on switching that one to 15 amps. Lots of low current draw on that fuse (led lighting, relay triggers, alternator exciter trigger, stock horn, gps....etc). Not sure if the wiring is up to handling 15 amps of draw in a short circuit senario.

Back