• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2013 Stelvio voltage dropped to 7.7, then died

Ed Baker

Just got it firing!
My new to me Stelvio with only 2000 miles was perfect until today's ride where it cranked slowly then dropped from its 14.4 typical voltage down to 7.7 on the way home and basically shut itself down.

Old battery? Fuses next to battery seem good and the aux lights I had checked and were not shorted. Battery had some corroded terminals which I'd cleaned up a couple days ago.
PO insisted I keep it on the battery charger as he always did (should have been a sign). I did not for the simple reason that I wanted to see if the battery/bike was sound for long trips.

I know my BMW batteries down last if plugged into a charger all the time and not ridden. I also doubt the PO put any water in it while it sat in the hot TX weather since purchased in Feb 2014.

Any thoughts?

Don't second guess it, replace the battery and ride on.

All of my batteries are sealed nowadays. You don't put water in them.
I would check to make sure your system is charging the battery before replacing the battery.
I have seen batteries dies a sudden and total death. But a battery that is not being charged by the bike as you ride will also die.

The stock Yuasa's have two problems. 1) they need to be put into service very specifically and some dealers could / would not follow the explicit directions to activate them. 2) the battery is not designed to be installed at any angle - MG knows this but continues to use Yuasa in a service they're not made for.

Time for a new battery. The general consensus is MotoBatt for another sealed lead-acid or https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/antigravity-battery-bs16/ for lithium - weight savings and more CCA.

I put my battery chargers on a simple household utility timer, and give them 15 minutes of activity four times a day. It prevents the possibility of overcharging the batteries.

I have batteries that are 12 years old and still going strong. However, I have replaced three in the last couple of months, so battery immortality doesn't exist.

I put my battery chargers on a simple household utility timer, and give them 15 minutes of activity four times a day. It prevents the possibility of overcharging the batteries. I have batteries that are 12 years old and still going strong. However, I have replaced three in the last couple of months, so battery immortality doesn't exist.
Great advice guys, but do note (as a reminder), older batteries had higher lead content, so the lifespan (when well maintained) is quite long... don't compare this to the new ones; As AGM/Gel batteries last about 2-3 years max when well maintained. The new Lith-I batts are proving remarkable for me. I've had one in now 3 solid years, and never put a charger on it, though I live in a very temperate climate.

As AGM/Gel batteries last about 2-3 years max when well maintained.

Interesting that the three batteries I replaced were all AGM type. However, two were eight years old (out of 1200 Sports) and one was out of a California Custom 1400.

I still have AGMs left in a couple of my older bikes. Perhaps this is indicative of the quality of new AGM batteries compared to old?

My new to me Stelvio with only 2000 miles was perfect until today's ride where it cranked slowly then dropped from its 14.4 typical voltage down to 7.7 on the way home and basically shut itself down.

Old battery? Fuses next to battery seem good and the aux lights I had checked and were not shorted. Battery had some corroded terminals which I'd cleaned up a couple days ago.
PO insisted I keep it on the battery charger as he always did (should have been a sign). I did not for the simple reason that I wanted to see if the battery/bike was sound for long trips.

I know my BMW batteries down last if plugged into a charger all the time and not ridden. I also doubt the PO put any water in it while it sat in the hot TX weather since purchased in Feb 2014.

Any thoughts?

You said the voltage dropped as you were riding it. Only way it would drop to 7.7 is if you lost the alternator while riding. Even if the Aux lights them selves don't short out, the wire to the lights can, and has.

Do the headlights work when the bike was running. If not check the 30 amp fuse on the right side of the bike behind the triangular panel below the seat. That is for the lighting circuit that also feeds power to the exciter for the alternator.

Are you able to jump start the bike. If so, what is the running voltage at the battery. If not try charging the battery back up and get it started to check the running voltage. May be the battery, but sounds like something else is a play.

Perhaps this is indicative of the quality of new AGM batteries compared to old?
Yes, for sure. Older batteries, even AGM had higher lead content, which equates to a longer life as I understand it.

You said the voltage dropped as you were riding it. Only way it would drop to 7.7 is if you lost the alternator while riding.
My bet is on the battery... otherwise a massive and sudden drain on the battery would require a short, not likely a fuse. We need to know the current standing voltage of the battery with a voltmeter once fully charged (or so stated by a charger).

My bet is on the battery... otherwise a massive and sudden drain on the battery would require a short, not likely a fuse. We need to know the current standing voltage of the battery with a voltmeter once fully charged (or so stated by a charger).
Agreed...may actually be both. Chicken and egg type stuff at this point....which came first.

Back