• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2014 CUSTOM custom

Gavin

2014 Custom given some custom treatment
GT di Razza Pura
I bought a 2017 California tour a couple or three years back and although happy with the bike it needed suspension, exhausts and fuelling sorted….all via or nearly all via GTM …..I changed the floorboards to footpegs and went touring!

But a Xmas 2022, I located another California …this time a 2014 custom which allowed a bit more expression and engineering….this is the start and the conclusion of that story.

The images below are of the 2017 Tour after the GTM upgrades and airbox elimination……not enough self expression!

regards.

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

IMG 0330 IMG 0327 IMG 0326

Last edited:
Moto Guzzi 2400 Custom was a 7k miles bike and carried OEM leather panniers and some nice parts including Agostini endcans….but I had a tour 17 California and needed to scratch an itch….the custom build itch.

No tassles
No abundance of chrome
No aftermarket parts
Many self made engineered parts

First of all the rear mudguard…I hated the OEM unit and thought the gaps were wrong
Secondly the exhaust…all squinty and mis matched with sight lines that ran crooked when the sun hit them!
Thirdly the fuel tank….which is a mass (?) produced method of metal stamping on a low volume run of motorcycle

Over and above this the fuel volume is very poor for a bike of this type and size

So ……we start with the fuel tank….remove the bolt on covers and panels….the top panel will be re used but the sides will be welded to the two strips on the crease lines of the standard tank

With the welding on the strips in place and the use of the English Wheel….the tank was brought together as a 1 piece section in a more tradional MG shape…..added to which the filler top section was bolted back into place and the eagles either side of the tank were bonded with automotive tape as opposed to clip and screw.

Hope that you like the finish…..

regrds

Gavin the Scottish Engineer

IMG 0435 IMG 0156 IMG 0151 IMG 0144 IMG 0174
Before and after….same tank…TWO ways to skin a cat…..basking in the sun!

Last edited:
The tank then formed the shape of the front….mainly the screen. A standard screen was copied in alloy but stretched and widened …then a carbon fibre mould was formed and allowed a new screen to be mounted to the existing support brackets

The screen had to match the widened tank….otherwise it would look like a baseball cap on an elefant….
and decided to use carbon fibre on the top tank section by using it as a mould to lay up onto….
also did the same to the injection covers……just to match…..ho hum!

I remember my mother always saying you can take the eyes off a big nosed woman …if she wears a hat….but you get my drift

Anyway….here are some images on the next bit

regards

Gavin …….The Scottish Engineer

IMG 0146 IMG 0166 IMG 0170 IMG 0169 IMG 0167 IMG 0173 IMG 0178

After the tank and the screen came the rear end.
This won’t be everyone’s cup of tea….but then…neither am I…..so here we go.

I didn’t like the gaps on the rear wheel to mudguards on the standard Custom….but I loved the indicators and flow of the rear….just had to enhance it slightly.

It started with the English wheel again and the panels were rolled and formed in aluminium 2.5 mm thick…this is ideal for riv nuts and welding and my design called for both……as it had to be easy to remove and return to standard.Carbon fibre scuff panels we fitted to be just that….scuff panels and easy to repair or paint or polish.

Anyway…the standard OEM mudguard was kept and enhanced and the outcome was as shown….please ignore the exhausts

regards

Gavin The Scottish Engineer

IMG 0114
IMG 0115
IMG 0112 IMG 0150 IMG 0149 IMG 0147 IMG 0153 IMG 0172 IMG 0180

Last edited:
So after the tail section….came the luggage rack.

Fleabay found a Piaggo scooter rack and I had the OEM California back seat hoop

A trip to the platers had both de plated and ready for welding….the powder coaters made it go BLACK

Thats all for today….but more to follow on this Custom Custom and my transformation of th3 2914 California

Next up….is that a carbon wheel?

regards

Gavin…..the Scottish Engineer

IMG 0428 IMG 0429

Beautiful work! Now the mufflers look out of place! Next project!

Well….if Todd comments…you respond

I drew up my exhausts and took them to an old racing contact….CAMPBELLS EXHAUSTS in sleepy Kent. Behind the old wooden doors is an old engineer.
Where the 82 year maestro fabricated then in stainless to my design and clearances…….he added some baffles …just to keep everyone happy and then….ceramic coaters did the rest….more BLACK
The ceramic coating finish is better if the parts are polished….so Campbells polI shed the lot prior to them going black.

But the rear end and pipes are now how I envisioned….and I like the tucked in look over the OEM design.

More latter

Regards…
Gavin …..the Scottish Engineer

IMG 1445 IMG 1512 IMG 1513 IMG 1514 IMG 1572 IMG 1573 IMG 1574

Last edited:
Next…..a Confederate (Harley Davidson type custom builder) front wheel from the makers BST in RSA had the correct loadings …but the wrong dimensions….the bolt patter was 5 disc bolts and the 1400 is 6 bolts on a different PCD…….but it was a fraction of the new price and I had access to a lathe.

On the lathe…some new sections were machined a full material spec and engineering drawing comes with each wheel, making the change easier.

UNLESS YOU ARE QUALIFIED….do not carry out this modification…..I am …it took 5 years then 4 years of night school.

The new alloy sections are pressed into the central spacer spreading the skins to 5he correct pressure and new bearings were added to boot. Carbon Wheels are strong if correctly set up….I think ….I have done this!

The MG California discs and ABS ring were all transferred from the OEM wheel and re bolted ….the 17 inch rim size carries a 130/80 x 17……rather than the 19 inch front.

I have come to the conclusion that the 1400 Eldorado is …indeed…the finest handling 1400….my tyre choice replicates the sizes of the Eldorado…the rear on this custom is 180 x 65 rather than the OEM 200…..in fact…since the build I have located a set of Eldorado wheels and currently bringing them into the UK……these might go on here or the 2017 tour….who knows.

more to follow

Gavin ….the Scottish Engineer

IMG 0197 IMG 1402 IMG 1403 IMG 1404 IMG 1406 IMG 1707 IMG 0332

Last edited:
Almost there…..

After the wheels the bike has all fluids changed along with the diff oil.

I ditched the OWM airbox going full AIRBOX ELIMINATION as covered elsewhere in this forum….as I did this on my 17 Tour first of all.
I had a set of GTM bar risers which I fitted to the 2017 tour….but the bars on the custom really benefited from those GTM risers….so it got them!

A set of Second Hand set of MG Bellagio spotlights were found and new LED units fitted in the cups…..and a badly coloured Corbin seat was bought from the land of OZ…..and dyed by the local cobbler….who loves the colour!

So now…as we stand in Feb 24….its taken almost 14 months of enjoyment and next up is the MOT as we have here in the UK

Enjoy…..maybe see you guys somewhere…..

Next up….that bigger tank for my MG 1400 tour!….

NB…..the image right at the end …..shows the 1400 Custom wheels on the 2017 Tour….which will in time be changed to Eldorado wire wheels and less oversized tyres than those fitted to the 1400 California.

IMG 1773 IMG 1772 IMG 1771 IMG 1770 IMG 1860 IMG 1774 IMG 1857

Last edited:
Almost there…..

After the wheels the bike has all fluids changed along with the diff oil.
I ditched the airbox and went full AIRBOX ELIMINATION as covered elsewhere in this forum….as I did this on my 17 Tour first of all.

A set of Second Hand set of MG Bellagio spotlights were found and new LED units fitted in the cups…..and a badly coloured Corbin seat was bought from the land of OZ…..and dyed by the local cobbler….who loves the colour!

So now…as we stand in Feb 24….its taken almost 14 months of enjoyment and next up is the MOT as we have here in the UK

Enjoy…..maybe see you guys somewhere…..

Next up….that bigger tank for my MG 1400 tour!….

NB…..the last image shows the 1400 Custom wheels on the 2017 Tour….

View attachment 34283View attachment 34284View attachment 34285View attachment 34286View attachment 34287View attachment 34288View attachment 34289
Black out the fork bottoms?

Yes….maybe I should have….but I was unsure if it would not be too much.

Guess that’s why I am an enthusiastic amateur….and not in the business.

Not everyone gets to work on their hobby and make money from it….I know I don’t

I do hope that the tale might inspire some out there….if it does…great, I’m really glad.
If not….well…just curb the negativity….I really don’t take myself too seriously ..but positivity is always nicer!

regards

IMG 0270

Last edited:
Beautifull bike. I like the tank as well. Great job. You could sell them for sure. A few extra miles always helps.

Thanks for your kind words…Scott…..I read that you had purchased a 1400 Eldorado…I genuinely believe they are the best of the 1400 platforms although I have never tried the MGX21 …but from the 1400 range …..the Eldorado just feels right.

Gavin

Yes….maybe I should have….but I was unsure if it would not be too much.

Guess that’s why I am an enthusiastic amateur….and not in the business.

Not everyone gets to work on their hobby and make money from it….I know I don’t

I do hope that the tale might inspire some out there….if it does…great, I’m really glad.
If not….well…just curb the negativity….I really don’t take myself too seriously ..but positivity is always nicer!

regards

View attachment 34290
Did you have to modify the gear and brake levers to accommodate those boots? 😊

Back