• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2015 Norge Fork Seal... New Development

BDS

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Well, I got in a ride on a sunny day recently, and noticed I have a leaking fork seal (pics below). It's not bad, but the bike only has 4300 miles on it. I have been considering a Matris fork kit upgrade anyway, so could replace both seals if I go that route. Also - The bike is in warranty until 4/22/17, so I could make a claim.

I always wipe my bike down after rides, so the forks don't accumulate grit, dirt, bugs, etc that might contribute to a leak for that reason. It's garaged as well.

My questions to those who may have experience...

- I've seen posts about leaking seals, just wondering if there is a preferred replacement part that might minimize recurrence?
- Is there any merit to products like Sealmate?

Thanks for any thoughts!

After a 70 mile ride...
IMG 6832 IMG 6833

I'm convinced Guzzi is not using a quality seal these days, i.e. Marzocchi, so I would be skeptical of replacing it with an OEM part # unless they can promise you it's a Marzocchi seal that hasn't been sitting for 5+ years. That should be warranty depending on the dealer, though it is considered a "wear item." If you keep your bike clean, not much you can do, but buying the seal cleaner tool is an easy test to see if it still leaks. If they do, the ones I sell HERE on the site are higher quality seals.
That said, the Matris fork kit does not involve disassembling the forks, so it can be installed without damaging the seals. However if you have the forks off the bike, that's the perfect time to install.
Keep us posted.

Having just installed the Matris kit in my Norge I would say you should be able to work a deal with the dealer. If he replaces the fork seals under warranty then see if for a little extra he will install the kit. It is almost no extra work over what he would be doing to change the seal. It may take the mechanic a bit longer to make sure he does it correctly but not more than a few minutes. You may run into Guzzi saying they will only pay for one side because only one is leaking. Having worked at a Honda dealer I have seen this.
"Oh sure sir. We will install new oil and clean up one side and you are on your own for the other side. It should last till the warranty is up." Sure makes sense to me? :banghead:

Sealmate costs next to nothing and takes, all up, around 1/2 hour to do. Worth a try first...

I don't believe that is a damaged seal. As was already pointed out, it may just need to be cleaned. If you don't have a Sealmate, just use a piece of plastic from a blister package with a small hook cut into the top. Just do a Google Search on SealMate and you will see what it looks like. Need to remove the dust seal, and then run the piece of plastic up and into the seal and clean all the way around.

There was actually a TSB issues early on concerning leaking seals (attached). They found the majority of claims were not actually damaged seals, but the grease they use during assembly leaking. I know it is not a Stelvio, but could be the same issue. Either way, i would clean it with a Sealmate or piece of plastic first.

I have over 50K KM on my Stelvio with the original seals. Never had an issue with routine cleaning.

Attachments

• 12-008-2012 Fork Leaks.pdf
    337.8 KB · Views: 8
Hey guys, thanks for your comments and suggestions! If they do in fact "need" to be replaced, looks like the Marzocchi seals are the way to go quality wise.

I am familiar with the Sealmate tool, though I haven't actually done a seal myself. I've also read that old 35 mm film works well. Slips in easily and the perforated edges catch gunk. I'm in pretty good with the local dealer - he's a straight shooter and even told me we could submit it as a warranty claim, no problem. He is currently putting a Matris kit on another owner's Norge. I'll see how that goes as far as a noticeable improvement over what (I) have on a 2015 (beefed up vs earlier models?). ...And go from there. Canuck - good point, and thx for the bulletin. My gunk does look "greasy."

Abbie - have you ridden your Norge since installing the Matris kit? Any thoughts/observations to share?

Thx

Got in a short ride (70+ miles) today in 54 degree weather. Buy the Matris kit. A world of difference in the front end. I would never have thought that much. I already have the Ohlins on the back.

Thanks for the report, AbbieN. If I remember right, yours is a '12? That's encouraging to hear, as I don't think there is much difference in the stock forks between the '12 and '15. So, the improvement should translate:eek:.

Do you feel there is more cornering stability? My front and rear suspension is as balanced as I can get it, but bumps or holes in the road during mid corner lean over give an unstable sense in the front. Maybe I'm pushing too hard, but I think the bike geometry is capable otherwise. Thanks!

I have several comments on my 12 Norge on another thread on here.
https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/several-questions-on-my-2012-norge.15816/page-2#post-126770
The instability you speak of is something I have noticed on my bike and in the short ride I just took it seems much better. I had a 2007 that had the HyperPro front and rear and I always felt it handled better than this 12. I will need more time to see if it is now as good but I think it is very close if not as good. I have not played with the preload having left it at full soft as installed and so far that feels good. Keep in mind the last thing I will claim is to be is Ricky Racer or even a very good rider. I just enjoy a bike that feels stable in the turns and rides well.

Back