• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2017 V7 III Special - Beginner Upgrade Questions

From the showroom floor, all OEM, I found that my V7III Racer started fine but that throttle response off-idle was somewhat poor until it was warmed up a bit. Call it about four minutes before the throttle response settled down and worked the way I like. With the custom ECU map in it now, I start it, rev it lightly once, and I ride away with no hiccups or anything.

The throttle response and performance, even with everything else OEM stock, was meatier and better after the flashed map was installed. The bike was easier to ride and felt nicer.

With the other small mods I've done to it now, Racer works as well as my 'tuned to the nines' LeMans V ever did. It's obviously not quite as powerful as the larger engined bike, but if you hadn't ridden both you probably wouldn't notice. :D

But I understand, Paul. IF the bike is already running to your satisfaction, there's little motivation to mess with it. It's the qualitative notion of "running to your satisfaction" that cannot be expressed by others' testimonials: You have to experience what this change does for the way an already good running bike behaves to evaluate whether it is worth it for you. $500 is a lot of money to spend on something that you might be insensitive to. It wasn't a lot of money to me, because I am very sensitive to certain nuances of an engine's running behavior due to my long history of mucking and tuning motors, and to my level of expectations (or fantasies as the case might be...). :)

I've got other rides in the garage that tick the performance box, no need here to spend $500 to get what I feel will be an insignificant gain in 'meat'. I put my money in suspension upgrades because I felt that was the weakest link in what had the potential to be a very satisfying bike. Wilbers in the rear and RaceTech emulators up front, plus Conti RA 3's radial tires have made a significant difference in handling, comfort and safety. Those thing that ae more important to me then attempting to squeeze a little more meat out of a 52 HP motor. I just don't see the bang for the bucks I'd expect form my money when I go after performance improvements. With the panniers, windscreen, and heated grips I find it to be great day ride, a good little tourer, and satisfying in every way. I luv this bike! I've had it for a year now and during that period my '15 R1200R roadster and '15 GSA tells me they feel neglected…. :giggle:

Paul

Whatever floats your boat is all that matters, Paul. I'm glad you're happy with your bike(s). :)

I have only the '17 V7III Racer. And I'm satisfied with that, particularly as I've got it set up now (Kineo wheels, Matris fork cartridge setup, revised springing on the Öhlins rear shocks, Conti RA3s, Agostini mufflers, binned EVAP and SAS, proper refined custom ECU map DART Piranha flyscreen, CRG bar end mirrors). All together, it's a pricey Racer ... but quite a lot less expensive than having multiple motorcycles ... or a bit less expensive than even one new 2018 R1200R roadster! ... and it performs very nicely even against higher spec'ed machines. But heck, I'm a LONG way from racing with anyone at this point in my life. :D

It would be interesting if you can find someone who has a similarly set up bike to yours but with the remap installed to take a test ride on so you could see what the difference is. Probably not very likely, unfortunately. This is always the problem when considering what things to do on a bike and there aren't very many of them around. There's usually no real way to compare what the changes might produce, and whatever you do is essentially a one way trip unless you return it to OEM.

G

I'm simply not interested in pouring $$$ into the V7 to fix something that, to me, isn't broken. I feel the same about EVAP removal and SAS block off plates. I've done those things to bikes I've owned in the past and have always been disappointed with the bang for the buck they bring. My experience is they yield no improvements to performance. I've put my $$$ into the modifications that matter most to me, suspension upgrade, and touring set-up, I'm perfectly happy with the results and extremely please with the performance, handling, and comfort of my V7. I'm not going to go chasing a fix to a problem I don't have.

It's OK if you and other here want to chase the perfect bike by pouring $$$ into a V7. It will never be the perfect bike no matter how many $$$ we throw at it. I luv mine for what it now is.... perfect for what I want it to be.

Some time folks make mistakes in purchasing a bike, or any product for that matter, with out understanding it's limitations. Then in an attempt to overcome those limitations they throw $$$ at it. Perhaps the wise thing to do is buy the product that does not have those limitations.

For less $$$ then you've likely got invested in your racer one can find a used BMW roadster that will blow the wheels off a V7 no matter how many $$$ have been invested in the V7. There are others options that would do the same, I choose BMW as an example because of the shaft drive.

Paul.

Last edited:
You seem to be reacting a bit over much, Paul.
  • I removed the EVAP system when it tried to oilcan and destroy my fuel tank, and caused the bike to run badly. This happened twice, at about 110 and again at about 230 miles. Cost nothing to cut the line, block it, and vent the tank properly.
  • I bought the GTRx-ECU Tool to remap the ECU and make the bike run the way I wanted. $500. It's not the fastest bike in the world and will never be, but it runs exactly the way I want it to now.
  • I fitted the Agostini mufflers for a richer, mellower sound. Cost about a grand, makes me happy.
  • The SAS system caused the exhaust to spit and pop after I'd fitted the Agostini mufflers, with both OEM map and re-map. I could have just removed and blocked the lines, jiggered around the sensor, but having nice covers to remove all the fittings etc was a plus. Cost about $100.
  • I fitted the front suspension kit and the rear springs to improve the damping at the front (which was crude and a bit too lightly sprung) and to get the right spring rate at the rear for my weight (I'm about 250lbs, the stock springs are suitable for a 170lb rider). Cost about a grand, made a huge difference in the way the bike handles. Well worth it.
  • I fitted the Kineo wheels so I could fit the Conti RA3 tubeless tires and retain the wire wheel classic look, which I happen to like a lot. For a similar price, I could have had carbon fibre mag wheels made up for it, but that wasn't what I wanted. The better tires make a huge improvement to handling, braking, and comfort. The fancy wheels save a little bit of weight (lighter than the stock Racer wheels and no tubes) and look damn pretty. Cost about $3500 or so.
  • Other little bits are things that make it more ergonomic or prettier to my eye.
I have no illusions of building any "perfect motorcycle" or of "blowing the wheels off" of any other motorcycle. That's juvenile thinking.

I know exactly what the limitations of a Moto Guzzi two-valve, pushrod, shaft drive, 750cc motorcycle are, thank you, and I see no need for you to disparage me by suggesting I don't know what I'm doing. I also have no interest whatever in owning a BMW, a Ducati, a Kawasaki, a Honda, etc etc. I've owned and enjoyed all of them in the past, but I'm not interested at this point. All were fun. None
were perfect.

I like what I bought ... I've just made it work for me as best it can. That's all.
If yours works fine for you, that's great too.

Simmer down and enjoy your motorcycle(s). I'll enjoy mine. :D

G

I'm happy for you, you've done the things to your motorcycle that are important to you. Others may not like the same flavor, nut'n wrong with that.

I have an Agostini long and run with the baffles in. It has the perfect voice for me, barley get a pop on deceleration with the OEM map. The pop only occur sometimes when I abruptly chop the throttle when at high RPM. Clearly you've had some issues with your bike that I do not have.

Paul

I'm simply not interested in pouring $$$ into the V7 to fix something that, to me, isn't broken. I feel the same about EVAP removal and SAS block off plates. I've done those things to bikes I've owned in the past and have always been disappointed with the bang for the buck they bring.

I think most bikes leave something to be desired. Some bikes are better touring bikes than others. Some bikes are better track bikes than others. Some bikes are simply cooler bikes that bring a bigger smile to one's face than a bike that outperforms it by all the numbers.

I've been in the same position of throwing $$ at a bike to make improvements on it without seeing the bang for the buck that I was expecting to see. This has bred a bit of skepticism into my willingness to spend on "upgrades". Luckily most of the spending that I have done in that category has been $$ instead of the $$$ that you refer to. ;)

Todd often razes me (and others :p :) ) for being surprised that his claims about the aftermarket option that he offers genuinely deliver the upgraded performance that he promises. It's a surprise that is born of healthy skepticism. That said, everything... everything that I have bought from Todd for my V7R has been more than satisfactory and delivered way more than I expected. There is something to be said for that: for having a trusted source for aftermarket options that are more than hype - aftermarket options that actually deliver what they promise.

I can't even say that this is true for everything on my V7R. I bought a BAAK seat for my V7R. At best I can say that I am neutral about that purchase, and definitely disappointed in the quality and in the dealings with the company.

On the other hand, I've bought things from Todd that I wasn't exactly on the market for that I've enjoyed way more than I expected. For example, I also bought Kineo wheels for my V7R - a purchase I could never exactly justify or rationalize. Yes, now I can run tubeless tires and still have spoked rims. That's great, but that's not why I like them. It's just seeing those on my bike, and riding on them makes me smile ~ every time that I ride the bike; kind of in the same way the the V7R does itself. It's not the fastest bike out there. It's not the best handling. It's not the most comfortable bike or the bike that is best for touring, but it has it in spades for making me smile.

Last edited:
Back