• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2021 850 windscreen comparison: MG 2S001569 VS Dart Classic

FedeleMotoGuzzi

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT di Razza Pura
Because I could not make up my mind, I purchased both screens and have been alternating them each week trying to sort out the differences. Jury is still out, but for those wrestling with where to spend their hard earned money, here are a few words and pics to add to your decision.

Dart Classic - to me, this screen looks the best. The Petrol Blue matches the bike blue better than my wife’s shoes and purse. When purchasing, I emailed with Dart to determine if the mounting brackets would work with the 2021. He (can’t remember his name) said the brackets they send “will work”. The “do work”, but aren’t a perfect fit around the diameter of the headlight. It’s darn close, but the gap is inconsistent. Top gap 1/8+” and the sides go down close to 1/16”. Once installed and tightened down, I had to tweak the fit symmetry by holding the front tire tightly between my legs and with both hands on either side of the screen assembly and shove in a direction to create a more symmetrical fit. Easy peasy and nothing to write home about. I just made the gaps equal and to my liking all the way around. Lastly, the brackets have a protrusion on the aft edge that fixes the screen position in the rear position. In other words, the screen can lean only so far back because of this built in mechanical stop. The bottom of this mechanical “stop” is designed to contact against the top of the blinker mount. I cut a piece of rubber hose (washer fluid hose) to 1/2” and split lengthwise with a razor knife and cradled the mechanical stop like a vibration/anti-chaffing strip to better protect the blinker mount.

Moto Guzzi 2S001569 Windshield - this screen also looks good, but just does not produce the style result I think I’m after. It definitely looks good proportionally to the bike and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Mounting is just like the Dart EXCEPT the “mechanical stop” for the aft movement is a bolt hole in each mounting bracket that uses the blinker mount bolt. Basically the screen bracket is sandwiched between the blinker plastic extension and the blinker mount/base. Very secure. I also tweaked this one like the Dart above to make the symmetry better. You have to remember that these brackets are pressed sheetmetal, not machines billet, so they aren’t perfect.

How do they perform?

I’m 55, 6’, lean mean 180# fightin machine. Performance is rather subjective and, as I alluded to above, I’m still trying to determine which provides me what I’m after in looks and performance. In the end, I know I have to make some concessions one way or the other.

Dart- there is a “noticeable” change in the wind on my chest from naked to Classic. Is it measurable? Yes. Am I able to say what the measurement is? Nope. It’s JUST noticeable, that’s all. Riding conditions effect tests like this and are NEVER consistent. Riding back roads on a calm day VS highway with big semi trucks disturbing the air ahead of me. Nothing scientific about my comments, but maybe they will help some how. At 65-80 I “feel” wind on my whole chest area, but it is “reduced”. Backroads, no traffic, my Schuberth C3 Pro doesn’t bobble at all. In traffic, the “gusts” cause some buffeting, but I am convinced this is directly related to traffic turbulence. Approximately so, the faster my speed, the more impact “gusts” have on my helmet.

MG 2S001569 - marked difference in the wind deflection. While I do have some wind on my chest, the relief is enough that I’m not holding on for dear life at 85mph. HOWEVER, my melon is bobbling about and I don’t like that. At 65, the bobbling is MUCH less and “possibly” more because of the traffic gusts. 55 and below, GREAT windscreen. But none of us ride down at that end of the Speedo! I “feel” the majority of the wind JUST above my chest and definitely on my shoulders.

Where am I in my decision? STILL deciding if my preference for the Dart Classic “look” is worth the “small in MY mind” of added wind on my chest. My wife and I “tour” on a 2017 Trophy, ST1100 and Tiger 955i. This 850 Special seat isn’t comfortable enough for my boney backside to spend hours cross country’ing. For me, this bike’s role is local or just outside local day trip riding. I find the balance of the bike to be almost “incredible”. I LOVE to ride it on the curvy backroads (FM roads here in Texas).

Hope this convoluted evaluation has value to someone!

Attachments

• C4D47605-5B49-49B6-9EDA-6398BFB72FA3.png
    C4D47605-5B49-49B6-9EDA-6398BFB72FA3.png
    462.1 KB · Views: 28
  • BC1A3AB8-8F19-4DD5-B183-5F2A0FF77259.jpeg
    BC1A3AB8-8F19-4DD5-B183-5F2A0FF77259.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 25
  • A61833CA-8858-4787-A427-8E8786988986.png
    A61833CA-8858-4787-A427-8E8786988986.png
    365.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 734B6432-B339-40A2-9BC2-819CE8CF36AA.png
    734B6432-B339-40A2-9BC2-819CE8CF36AA.png
    353.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 8DF67211-C0B5-4B38-B735-1985563CC4D0.png
    8DF67211-C0B5-4B38-B735-1985563CC4D0.png
    431 KB · Views: 31
  • B10258F9-A206-4D0A-A426-FD701F601D5D.png
    B10258F9-A206-4D0A-A426-FD701F601D5D.png
    452.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 1484AF7A-96EC-4D18-B87A-BC3DBB5EF442.png
    1484AF7A-96EC-4D18-B87A-BC3DBB5EF442.png
    425.8 KB · Views: 29
  • A08E7850-E81D-4D14-93EC-12C41212D055.png
    A08E7850-E81D-4D14-93EC-12C41212D055.png
    458.1 KB · Views: 29
  • FCF951C6-7DF9-4767-9F00-ECA325FF68F1.png
    FCF951C6-7DF9-4767-9F00-ECA325FF68F1.png
    453.9 KB · Views: 28
I also have a Blue V7 lll 850 Special. Have you considered the Dart Marlin? Also, what is the p/n of the Dart Classic? The only screens I saw on their web site was for Triumphs. I put a ‘winter’ shield that I bought used. It is by Memphis Shades, can,t find a model name, and is handlebar mounted. It is 12” above the headlight. Great for winter, but I need something for summer.

Because I could not make up my mind, I purchased both screens and have been alternating them each week trying to sort out the differences. Jury is still out, but for those wrestling with where to spend their hard earned money, here are a few words and pics to add to your decision.

Dart Classic - to me, this screen looks the best. The Petrol Blue matches the bike blue better than my wife’s shoes and purse. When purchasing, I emailed with Dart to determine if the mounting brackets would work with the 2021. He (can’t remember his name) said the brackets they send “will work”. The “do work”, but aren’t a perfect fit around the diameter of the headlight. It’s darn close, but the gap is inconsistent. Top gap 1/8+” and the sides go down close to 1/16”. Once installed and tightened down, I had to tweak the fit symmetry by holding the front tire tightly between my legs and with both hands on either side of the screen assembly and shove in a direction to create a more symmetrical fit. Easy peasy and nothing to write home about. I just made the gaps equal and to my liking all the way around. Lastly, the brackets have a protrusion on the aft edge that fixes the screen position in the rear position. In other words, the screen can lean only so far back because of this built in mechanical stop. The bottom of this mechanical “stop” is designed to contact against the top of the blinker mount. I cut a piece of rubber hose (washer fluid hose) to 1/2” and split lengthwise with a razor knife and cradled the mechanical stop like a vibration/anti-chaffing strip to better protect the blinker mount.

Moto Guzzi 2S001569 Windshield - this screen also looks good, but just does not produce the style result I think I’m after. It definitely looks good proportionally to the bike and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Mounting is just like the Dart EXCEPT the “mechanical stop” for the aft movement is a bolt hole in each mounting bracket that uses the blinker mount bolt. Basically the screen bracket is sandwiched between the blinker plastic extension and the blinker mount/base. Very secure. I also tweaked this one like the Dart above to make the symmetry better. You have to remember that these brackets are pressed sheetmetal, not machines billet, so they aren’t perfect.

How do they perform?

I’m 55, 6’, lean mean 180# fightin machine. Performance is rather subjective and, as I alluded to above, I’m still trying to determine which provides me what I’m after in looks and performance. In the end, I know I have to make some concessions one way or the other.

Dart- there is a “noticeable” change in the wind on my chest from naked to Classic. Is it measurable? Yes. Am I able to say what the measurement is? Nope. It’s JUST noticeable, that’s all. Riding conditions effect tests like this and are NEVER consistent. Riding back roads on a calm day VS highway with big semi trucks disturbing the air ahead of me. Nothing scientific about my comments, but maybe they will help some how. At 65-80 I “feel” wind on my whole chest area, but it is “reduced”. Backroads, no traffic, my Schuberth C3 Pro doesn’t bobble at all. In traffic, the “gusts” cause some buffeting, but I am convinced this is directly related to traffic turbulence. Approximately so, the faster my speed, the more impact “gusts” have on my helmet.

MG 2S001569 - marked difference in the wind deflection. While I do have some wind on my chest, the relief is enough that I’m not holding on for dear life at 85mph. HOWEVER, my melon is bobbling about and I don’t like that. At 65, the bobbling is MUCH less and “possibly” more because of the traffic gusts. 55 and below, GREAT windscreen. But none of us ride down at that end of the Speedo! I “feel” the majority of the wind JUST above my chest and definitely on my shoulders.

Where am I in my decision? STILL deciding if my preference for the Dart Classic “look” is worth the “small in MY mind” of added wind on my chest. My wife and I “tour” on a 2017 Trophy, ST1100 and Tiger 955i. This 850 Special seat isn’t comfortable enough for my boney backside to spend hours cross country’ing. For me, this bike’s role is local or just outside local day trip riding. I find the balance of the bike to be almost “incredible”. I LOVE to ride it on the curvy backroads (FM roads here in Texas).

I also have a 2021 V7 lll 850 Special. I bought a used Memphis Shades winter windshield. It is 12” high above the headlight. I am considering the Dart Marlin for summer. Where did you get the Dart Classic. I only see fitment for Triumphs. Are they all the same or is there a V7 specific one.

I have the same bike (v7 850 special) and just fitted the same Dart Classic fly screen. I selected the "v7 e5 from 2021 on" version on the site, but the box I received says v7 LED. Just curious if that is also what you received? I'm waiting to hear back from John at Dart if this is the correct version with odd labeling or I was sent the wrong item.

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 5
Sorry I haven't been on lately. This evening I'll check for both the PN of the Classic and for the "non-LED nomenclature" of my order. I know for sure you have to select the non-LED version which I believe it the HD version. Stand by till later today.

Sorry I haven't been on lately. This evening I'll check for both the PN of the Classic and for the "non-LED nomenclature" of my order. I know for sure you have to select the non-LED version which I believe it the HD version. Stand by till later today.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I've been speaking with Dart and they have informed me when you select v7 e5 2021-on (website makes no mention of whether that means Halogen or LED), that this bracket was designed for the LED headlight and no thought was given to the fitment on a special. The whole reason I asked you which you purchased is because if your is for a V7 iii, it appears it may be even a better fit than the one I received. In fact, your bracket does not even appear to look the same as mine.

I recently worked on a Triumph Scrambler that was fitted with the Dart Classic shield just like your photo, I think. 🥸

Initially I liked it, until I discovered it was the root cause of the front fork oscillation vibration.

It looks good but I’m not sure it’s aerodynamic profile is all that hot.

At least the Moto Guzzi windshield has been tested on the motorcycle. (I hope!)

I’ll be interested to hear your final outcome and decision. 😃 EEB6D405 A29C 46E0 A310 0983E7E77D00

How do they perform?

I've just recently purchased the same bike and I totally love it.
I bought a Dart Marlin in smoke, and I think it looks great.
However, I think it's more comfortable with no screen at all.
As I'm riding, if I move my free hand from low to high, the wind speed begins just at my head.
I think I'd rather have it spread to my chest and head as opposed to focused on my head.
IMG 1404
I've got some vintage Triumphs that I fitted with the National Cycle Plexistar #N8372-01
I live in a cooler climate and these really work. 60mph feels like 40, etc.
Turbulence on gusty days and from semis? Not bad at all.
However, in warm weather they take away from the joy of riding.
Do they detract from the looks of the bike? Definitely. But I'd rather be comfortable in the colder months.
They go on and off relatively simply and they're easy to tailor to fit
I've got another new one in a box (yeah, I like them that much) I'll put on the Guzzi and try and post pictures when I do.
Here's on the Triumphs
IMG 1403
IMG 1405

Right after I wrote the last post I went for a ride.
I'm thinking, yeah I'm gonna pull this flyscreen off when I get home
Lots of deer here so I'm always scanning left and right and keeping the speed down
Up ahead of me are cars pulled over on both sides of the road, so I slow down to pass between them
In an instant, I see I'm headed for a downed power line.
Remember the guy in Blazing Saddles getting dragged by the horse and he yells out "Well that's the end of this suit!"
I swear that's what I thought in that instant.
I ducked, it hit the flyscreen and flew up and grazed over the side of my full-face helmet.
I'm totally unhurt except for a little neck soreness and so is the bike
Note where the wire hit the screen.
A little lower, without the screen it would have grabbed around the instruments or handlebars.
IMG 1407

Back