• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

20x44mm U-joint Source?

Tonerjockey

High Miler
GT Contributor
Anyone found a reasonable (cheap) source for replacement U-Joints? I have a small amount of play in one of mine on a V7 Sport and would like to replace the component.

It's a 20mmx44mm joint. I found a site in The UK
http://www.ims-ltd.co.uk/products/product-search/universal-joints
and have sent a request for quotes.

There are sites in China that make these as well but I am leery of having them fabricated from my calculations.

I am trying to avoid paying $50 to $65 for each PLUS shipping.

Whatcha think?

Alex

That's not a company that I've ever come across before so I can't comment on them. Chinese engineering can be of such variable quality that I'm wary of dealing with them at the best of times but given just how much damage a UJ failure can cause I think I'd pay the extra money if only for peace of mind.

Yeah I agree on the peace of mind thing. This bike is a land speed racer and I push it WOT all the way.... an explosive failure at speed would make for a very bad day indeed.

Still..

Alex

Yeah that would definitely make for a bad day!!!! If I hear of any good but cheap UJ sources over here I'll let you know :)

I used www.cpsdrivelink.co.uk to do my stelvios uj's. Bike konked out friday afternoon, found seized uj, had it at cps 11:30 sat morn, back home 1hr later with both ends replaced and had bike running by 17:00. They will not touch rubbish gear, it is their bread and butter and can manufacturer bespoke stuff without any hassle. £100 well spent!

http://www.theujointstore.com/20-2044.html

I tried to buy one for a V50 II a few months ago and they were out of stock, waiting on the next batch to arrive. Looks like they're back in stock now, best to check before ordering.

Or you could have the u-joint rebuilt by John Chicoine in MA.

U Joint Rebuilds
Loop Frame models using 20 X 44 crosses. $140.00
Tonti (except Convert) & later models using 22 X 49 or 22 X 50 crosses. $140.00
Convert models using 22 X 49 or 22 X 50 crosses. $180.00

Each u joints is rebuilt using bearing crosses imported from Europe. After disassembly the yokes are degreased, inspected and deburred. The bores are checked for size and alignment using a precision ground gauge pin. Since these yokes were mass produced it’s common to find that the bearing cup bores are misaligned or too tight. To prevent binding upon reassembly, the bearing cup bores are honed to ensure proper bearing cup fit and alignment. Each bearing cup is filled with synthetic grease for added longevity. The bearing cups and bores are cleaned with solvent then coated with red 271 high strength Loctite before reassembly for maximum durability. A small tube of green Loctite is supplied for the carrier bearing bore before installing the ujoint.

Contact info:
John P. Chicoine
36 Gilbert Road
Southampton MA 01073

jchicoine@verizon.net
413-454-8002.

+1

Amboman said:
http://www.theujointstore.com/20-2044.html

I tried to buy one for a V50 II a few months ago and they were out of stock, waiting on the next batch to arrive. Looks like they're back in stock now, best to check before ordering.

Or you could have the u-joint rebuilt by John Chicoine in MA.

U Joint Rebuilds
Loop Frame models using 20 X 44 crosses. $140.00
Tonti (except Convert) & later models using 22 X 49 or 22 X 50 crosses. $140.00
Convert models using 22 X 49 or 22 X 50 crosses. $180.00

Each u joints is rebuilt using bearing crosses imported from Europe. After disassembly the yokes are degreased, inspected and deburred. The bores are checked for size and alignment using a precision ground gauge pin. Since these yokes were mass produced it’s common to find that the bearing cup bores are misaligned or too tight. To prevent binding upon reassembly, the bearing cup bores are honed to ensure proper bearing cup fit and alignment. Each bearing cup is filled with synthetic grease for added longevity. The bearing cups and bores are cleaned with solvent then coated with red 271 high strength Loctite before reassembly for maximum durability. A small tube of green Loctite is supplied for the carrier bearing bore before installing the ujoint.

Contact info:
John P. Chicoine
36 Gilbert Road
Southampton MA 01073

jchicoine@verizon.net
413-454-8002.

Good posts! Thanks!

So I had a 20x44 u-joint left over from a previous rebuild. Unfortunately I only had 3 cups.. one lost a few rollers over the years.

I figured I would swap out the old cross with the new one, use the 3 new cups and the best "looking" of the old ones and see what happens from there... that's what I thought...

Old one out OK. No damage, all cups salvageable... so far so good.

New cross and two cups in... no problemo. This is guinna be a snap.

3rd cup in smooth...

Attempted to use "best" old cup... different size!!! Well now.

Checked with MG and other US source... no gottie.

Off to the UK. Ordered 3 new 20x44mm u-joints of the permanently greased variety.

$132 delivered.

Now we wait for said delivery.

Alex

Hey Mc,

The U joint source is out of them. 2 week backorder. Spicer in the UK (IMS Limited) has them

Volume discount @ 10 units. Shipping to US was a bitch though. Very fast UP$.. 2 days and I had them

I bought 3. Screwed one up (as usual) during the install. One of the pin bearings dropped loose in the cup during the pressing. I really should make a jig for this job. Increased the cost of the job 100% plus the time and agro.

Well it's done and the U-joint goes back into Porco Rosso today. Maybe get it assembled enough to run it once up and down the street ... share the excitement with the neighbors so to speak.

Alex

Back