• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2v 1200 sport

FrostBittenCanadian wrote:
I still would like to ride a goddam bike , how about today, oh I forgot the tempermental lump I purchased for a vast sum is U/S again. lemon lemon. That is why I asked about the track record of another model. SORRY I ASKED.

OK, A mate of mine has a 2 valve 1200 sport and it has never had an issue that has caused grief, and he recons that the bike is a beauty - does that help?

Some of the 2v bikes have had problems, but only minor shit that is fixable once and then forget. My Griso has been faultless since new, only the fuel line fell off.
I'm with you mushroom man, i would get rid of it as well. My opinion on these things are that if it's a problem when its new, then it's a problem forever.
Nothing worse than looking forward to a ride and then when you get on the road wondering how far you're going to get before something else pop's up.
takes the fun out of it.

In the meantime have the plug caps resoldered and ISOLATED properly.

FBC...

I have a Griso 2v. It's got around the same mileage as your bike so I can only tell you from my limited ownership and it's just seat of the pants opinion... The 2v is a good engine. My bike's dependable thus far, 100%. I've had very minor problems so far. A few loose fasteners...it began to run a bit rough but was sorted well by my dealer. I had a clutch screech which did not cause any type of engagement issue at all but it's getting corrected by the dealer. For real... the Griso is a nice bike, not junk. I trust the motor to be sound, no serious mechanical problems are expected and I also believe them to be capable of high mileages without breakdown. The trans shifts sooooooo nicely compared to my Triumph Speed Triple but that bike was never at the dealers for other than Map change and it also was 100%. That was nine years of ownership and exactly 0 issues other than a very minor oil leak near the sidestand.

If I had the bike you bought I would be unhappy and I doubt I would choose any Guzzi at all. Why would I? There are many nice bikes out there, get something else and be done with Guzzi! But personally I would do as suggested... Bite the bullet and keep your bike! You already own the thing. If you see a great deal somewhere you might just trade the bike in, expect to lose a lot of money but if the deal is right then it may be worth doing but for now I wouldn't buy another Guzzi. I would stay with this bike and have it sorted. As long as the dealer knows what he is doing (Have no idea how good yours really is?) the bike should be fixable.

Ask yourself this, WHY do I want to have a Moto Guzzi? And you can consider getting a second bike but given you want to do some traveling you might consider what bike will do what you want best?

So, if my opinion, the 2V's fine and the griso is a good bike. I doubt it will be perfect, I'm sort of expecting it won't.

vivo

Mike, double, thanks that's all I was asking in the first place. Vivo thanks sort of, I'm weighing my options and trying to figure out my best plan of action as to how to minimize loss, I know I'm not coming out of this debacle unscathed. I will get shit for this thing on a trade at any dealer I can think of, You think there are many loons like myself up here that would want one? Seen exactly 4 Guzzis on the road up here other than at the rally the other day. So no I'm taking it in the behind! Vivo, I have no idea if dealer is any good either, I haven't seen anything performance wise from them or the bike, so who can tell?
FBC

I bought a 1200 Sport last week. I've got 500 miles on it so far. I've been waiting for my sidestand to fall off, my header to crack, my fuel line to blow off the pump and strand me and my CARC to leak. Knock on wood....none of that has happened...yet. The difference I guess is that I EXPECT all of that to happen. I hate to say this in my first post on the board but buying an Eyetalian bike and NOT breaking down should be considered a bonus....lol. The Sport is the third Guzzi I've had this summer but I plan on keeping it a very, very long time. I fully expect it to strand me before the summer is out. I am still going to ride it to the Barber Vintage Festival from Vermont next month. If it breaks, I'll jump online and check the forum here, at Wild Guzzi and send an e-mail to Greg Field or my dealer. I am confident whatever breaks can be fixed(again knocking on wood).

Thus far, you've experienced assembly problems. None were really engineering failures. Imagine how happy you'd be if you'd bought a 20 thousand dollar BMW and you experienced a complete engineering failure. That's what final drives giving up the ghost mean. There is a big difference between an assembly error and an engineering failure. There is a big differecne between Heinrich spec'ing out the wrong material for bearings and splines because he knows f*ckall about metallurgy and Enzo having an extra Grappa at lunch and forgetting to locktite a bolt. Your dealer has failed you. After teh second time you brought it back he should have gone through it with a fine toothed comb.

To directly answer your question regarding the 1200 2 valve, yes. It is a fine motorcycle as long as you re-read my first paragraph and understand that any, all or even more of the things I mentioned could possibly go wrong. It cruises at 75,85,95 or even 105mph effortlessly. The front end is a little vague and the brakes have a tad too much initial bite. It's too quiet. It gets great mileage. Cuban hookers dig it. It makes dogs bark when I start it. What else do you want to know?

Welcome, John!

Just one thing: to my knowledge, the Breva/Norge/1200S models are not affected by the fuel line issue.

Now you should be worried, I guess ;) :silly:

Ya know what, I guess I'm kind of handicapped. I work in aviation and conditioned to sloppy shitty work just not being an option. Maybe thats my problem with this.
FBC

Hey Frosty, you're in Trawna, right? Is there no good Guzzi dealer in the entire province of ontariariario? Really? For my part, I won't use the dealer in Regina which is 240 km away so if I need anything, I go to Lloydminster which is about 260 km. I guess there's good dealers and poor dealers in every province.

All the research I've done says the 2V have been more reliable - maybe it's just because the 4V are newer and haven't had all their teething issues sorted out. But so far I've had zero issues with my breva. I've ridden the 1200sport and it's got a bit more power and the ergos are a tiny bit more sport on the sport-touring continuum, but basically it's about the same bike with a small fairing. So you might look around for a lightly used Breva as an alternative to the 1200 Sport. You'd save some coin. But you have a stelvio so presumably you're looking for an adv-tourer not a sport-tourer, am I right? The breva's a pretty good sport-tourer and I just did 5600 km with a passenger all the way to the coast of oregon and up to BC and home - zero issue, no problems, happy, comfortable, except that I've decided definitely to buy a fairing for it. But we stuck to paved roads. Anyway, I love my 2V Breva V1100. Had no issues with it so far. It goes top speed just about 220 km/h on some empty wide-open prairie roads (bet you can't do that down there in trawna with those crowded roads)

But then I wasn't attracted to a stelvio because I own as a 2nd bike, a KTM Adventure. For the Adv-touring niche, the KTM is by far the best there is but it's not maintenance free, they're quite finicky and a total bear to work on - valve adjustment requires removing fairing and tank and digging into a really tiny little space. Mine predates EFI (by a year) but the mikuni carb is hard to get at and pretty persnickety... And an oil change takes all friggin day - 3 separate oil filters - it's oil in frame (hello triumph in 1977) Of course the other options for the adv-touring set is the beemer - and, like harleys, some people think they're great and other people just quite siply, don't get it...

What's your other Adv-touring options? A KLR? (all 33 HP of it, c'mon...) or for the adv-touring _styled_ (but actually street bikes, no dirt please) you've more options - the V-strom or the Triumph Tiger. So go take a ride on a Tiger. Way more power than the goose, same styling, although the tiger is even more pavement-oriented. Been around forever (15 years or so?) and the 1050 triple is tried and true. Like the BMW1200 (not 1200A) or the Stelvio, it's a tall, upright-sitting sport bike that tours... There's a great small dealer that's a family business and they're just north (and west?) of Barrie, Ont, which is I think not too far from you? I spent a summer in Ont on a sabbatical project a few years ago and my triumph was my wheels and they were great when my stator unexpectedly expired. I think there's a good triumph dealer in London too, but I'm not sure about Toronto...

Anyway, sorry to hear about your woes. Totally sux. Better keep riding, we know I'll be frostbitten long before you eastern pansies with your mild winter weather - never gets below -25 down there does it... :laugh:

Ian

Ian thanks I'm looking into another dealer here and might have to try barrie. Checked into a tiger but it doesn't look like anyone will take it in trade. Eastern pansies... we are not we have the army to deal with our snow!!!!! ha ha
FBC

well a tiger will most likely be more reliable than your stelvio. Not as cool, not as unique, not as eyetallianly sexy! But they do go! For a sport-tourer, I do love my Breva, though! Or maybe you'll sort through the stelvio-woes and look back 100,000 km later and laugh!

I just traded my 1050 Tiger for a 1200 Sport. I had a few issues with the Tiger as it was one of the very first ones built. The clocks got water in them, sound familiar? and other little things like the gear linkage falling apart. But once I'd sorted out these points it was fine. I did 19,000 miles in 2 1/2 years and it was fun. Very fast and handled like a dream. The engine is smooth but there is a secondary vibe which can cause numbness in the fingers. I liked it but it was time for a change.

So far the Guzzi has been a pleasure to own. I decided the only way to get confidence in it's reliability was to just go for it and went on a tour of France. After 6 weeks of ownership and 4,500 miles it has been a revalation. I love the way it sounds and feels and there's some X factor that makes it special. Currently it's in the dealers having the clutch sorted as it's squealing but at no time did it feel like it was going to let me down. I rode in temperatures up to 103f and she never complained.

I'm glad I made the change but no-one could be disapointed with a Tiger either.

Ride Report here... http://www.1200sport.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1009

What's that about a squealy clutch (and it being a known problem)?

Just how loud is that screech on affected vehicles?
My clutch has made what I'd call a ringing sound from new, from time to time when accelerating while letting it out slowly. Ringing, or a kind of soft yammer as it's not constant in pitch. As it's something I've heard in various vehicles I've never really worried about it (also telling myself that the 1st clutch one's very first vehicle [with manual transmission] is bound to suffer from newbie treatment :blush: )

Double plate clutches always make some noise RJ, but I've never heard a screeching. Maybe it's a thing of newer models...

The mechanic who listened to it has been working on Guzzis for years and knew it was not normal. He's had to replace one on a Griso for the same problem before. Don't start listening for problems with your own clutch if it was squealing you would know something was wrong.

Back