• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

7/33 bevel sets

jar1812

Just got it firing!
Hello all,
sad to report with my first post that my 950 LM2 bevel box has failed catastrophically because it has been incorrectly assembled by a previous owner. A second hand housing can be obtained, and it appears that all of the internal components are available still. However the 7/33 bevel gear is only available as a repro part, allegedly of chinese construction. A complete SH bevel can be obtained for about 450-500€, no guarantee, no reliable indication of mileage other than a photo of the input and output splines. In theory i could get a complete new item for 8-900€. Several people have warned about using these chinese items, does anybody have personal experience of these components. I am torn between the two choices, without doubt i would get a new box built of spares if a genuine bevel gear was available. Any thoughts appreciated

Andy

Contact Charlie Cole at www.zydecoracing.com he builds Guzzi rears & tranny's for a living & is top notch. A while back he told me the chinese gear sets cost him big bucks in customer come backs. Might start looking for a wreck bike for spares.

Thanks Trout,
i got some good info from Charley, basically keep well away from the repro gear sets.
Andy

Check with Harper's and Moto Guzzi Classics. Those guys sometimes have good used or rebuilt units available.

Andy, If you don't find what you're looking for send me a PM. I have a couple of rear drives, one from a T-3 and one from a CX-100 I believe both are 7/33. The splines that couple with the wheel are very worn but the rest is okay. The reason these were not rebuilt is that the estimate for repair was about the same as a new unit 25 years ago.

Thanks John,
my profile does not seem to reflect my location in Germany, so US stores are not viable unless it really is made of pure Unobtainium, which thinking about it, is actually true in this case. Anyway there are several SH units to be had and now that my fears about repro gears are confirmed ive ordered a SH'er from TLM in Holland.

https://www.tlm.nl/magazijn/webshop/geb ... ails/27569
Thanks
Andy

Hi Raphael,
thanks for your offer, as you can now see it looks like I am sorted. You should look after those bevels they are fast becoming as good as hard currency !

Regards
Andy

I'm glad this thread was started as I have some extra gear sets that are just starting to flake.

Any way to "fix" them before they get worse?

Possible to re-plate or hard chrome them?

Cost effective?

I'd sure like to think that the old T will still be be doing the ton when my grandson is 60.

Trout said:
I'm glad this thread was started as I have some extra gear sets that are just starting to flake.

Any way to "fix" them before they get worse?

Possible to re-plate or hard chrome them?

Cost effective?

I'd sure like to think that the old T will still be be doing the ton when my grandson is 60.

Check with Charlie Cole, his info is in a comment above. I've never seen gear sets that were plated in any way. This is a new one on me. Are you sure it isn't the carrier the ring gear bolts to?

John it is the pinon gear mainly and a little on the ring gear. The teeth look almost like it has been eaten away by acid where the gears mesh and it is in just a few spots, not like a wear pattern. ???

These are from bikes that I do not know the history on as I picked up a "pile" of stuff: engine blocks, trannys, rears, frames, front ends etc... and as time allows I pull them apart to see what is salvage able or beyond hope.

I said re-plating but should have said plated or chromed, my bad for poor communication, just wondering if they can be made to last awhile. What what would happen if it was Nikasil coated? or.....?????

If the gear teeth are rusting/pitting, they might make good boat anchors. No method of plating/conditioning could stand up to the pressures applied to a working gear set.

Big sigh! You're right John some things just can't be reconditioned. Do you know if the gear sets from the modern Calis will fit the old stuff? I'll check with Charlie and see what he says.

Trout said:
Big sigh! You're right John some things just can't be reconditioned. Do you know if the gear sets from the modern Calis will fit the old stuff? I'll check with Charlie and see what he says.

They are all interchangeable, but the modern gear ratio isn't good for the older Tonti bikes. They don't have the torque the 1100s have and would really strain the engine. One way to ht rod a Cali 1100 is to put on a rear drive from and 850 or 1000, the bottom end gets really quick but you loose top end. Also it make the speedometer lie even more if you don't change the drive at the back of the transmission.

Back