• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'71 Ambassador ?

Muley

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I came across a very nice looking (and sounding-on youtube) '71 Ambassador that I'm interested in buying. I cannot test ride it without going to great expense since it's not anywhere near me. I know and trust the seller who says it's in good shape with no mechanical problems. I wanted to know if this model has any serious "issues", weak points (no pun intended), or anything in particular I should be aware of.

I realize, of course, this is a very old motorcycle, and it will never be as trouble free as a new one, but it might be nice to go on short rides with it and just enjoy the pre-computer technology.

As a general estimate, what is a decent bike like this worth? Any feedback and advice would be appreciated.:)

Muley,

Since no one has responded, here are few words. Cons: Braking not as good as you are accustomed to. Shift pattern reverse of your bike, and only a 4 speed transmission (if left stock). Tires that work well with the frame design are getting hard to find, vintage style tires seem to work best (like Dunlop K70s). Pros: She was a great bike in her day, handles much better than she looks capable of. Very enjoyable to ride, she will slow you pace down considerably. Probably the best stock seat on any bike. Classic styling that will be noticed by everyone, rider and non rider.

As for price, depends on condition and how much you want it. Could be anywhere from a couple thousand up to 10K.

Thanks for the input John.

The bike is basically stock but the owner says it has a T3 rear end, Koni shocks, and Bub pipes. I think these models had drums front and rear, which certainly explains your comment about the braking.

I have indicated in several other threads that I'm not real excited about the newer, multi-valve, plastic-encased Guzzis that seem to be the current trend. I would probably be better off with a new Vintage which still has the features (or lack thereof) that appeal to me in a motorcycle, but at the same time a new machine with undoubtedly better reliability potential.

On the other hand, the smile factor might be greater with a 2 or 3 thousand dollar classic vs. a 15 grand new one:unsure:

Muley,

The use of the T-3 rear drive is a good upgrade. The Ambassador rear drive has a low oil capacity. If you did buy it, I'd consider going back to a stock exhaust system. I believe MG cycle has all that you will need. Yes the bike has drum brakes front and rear, but they are huge compared to other of that vintage. Moto Guzzi Classics has soft lined shoes for the front that work pretty well. Also if you take the time to shape the shoe to the drum, they work even better.

Back