• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

8 gallons, no waiting

bigtex

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
Preparing for our 1000 miles/24 hours ride next month, figured I might just benefit from an extra 4 gallons and in-flight refueling :)

tank008.jpg

tank009.jpg

Could you give us some details as to how/where you plumbed that in? I have a tourtank that I've been thinking of moving between a couple different bikes using quick disconnects, but not sure where /what line to cut in to, specially the new bikes with the fuel pump inside the tank.
Maybe a pic or two of the connections if it's not too much trouble.

Plumbing took some head scratching, plus this is my first aux tank, so I may have taken a wrong route. But it works just fine after a short shake down cruise yesterday.

I quickly realized there is no way to plumb in to the stock fuel lines on a fuel injected machine, so I went with the idea of in-flight refueling, with the goal of an extra tank that I can use to refill the stock tank. All factory fuel lines and pumps are unchanged.

First, I needed a line from the new tank in to the old tank. With the panels off I saw we have a nice flat section at the top of the plastic tank, so I bought one of these from the local hardware store:

barb.jpg

I drilled a hole in the top of the original tank (very slowly, with the shop vacuum surrounding the bit) slightly undersized then threaded this unit into the tank. If I was crossing the Sahara I would also reach inside and get a nut on the other side, but it seems very secure for my purposes. Sorry, forgot to take a picture here, but the main concept was a top entry port through which fuel could drop.

Then I ran some 1/4" ID fuel line down, using the path and clips vacated by the evap cannister lines (long since removed). This line exits by the right rear bag.

I fabricated a plate that uses the stock mounting points and latch of the passenger seat. This gives me a sturdy platform to mount the tank and also positions the tank much lower and more central than the typical rear rack installation.

tank007.jpg

But this does leave the tank much too low to use gravity to feed the main tank. So I went with a cheapo electrical fuel pump, $29 from Amazon.

41QD8XBR5XL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

For mounting that I looked at all that huge open real estate behind the right pannier. First I made up a plate that bolts to the stock rack using the 2 existing open holes at the top. View from the outside with the bag removed:

tank012.jpg

To that plate I bolted the fuel pump and a manual shutoff valve. From there the fuel line simply runs up to the tank. At the front base of the tank I installed a CPC quick disconnect so I can yank the tank even when full. View from the rear:

tank011.jpg

Wiring it all together, I ran a new wire from my existing fuse block to a switch (unused harness from a PIAA light set, includes nifty red/green switch light) and mounted the switch on the front of the right bag (velcro). View from the front:

tank014.jpg

So, I simply fill it up at gas stops and then whenever the main tank gets low, I reach down and punch the switch and it refills the main tank. I'll probably do it while stopped till I gain some confidence in it, but I don't see any reason I couldn't do it on the run. Obviously it is up to me to shut the pump off when done.

The tank comes off using the stock seat key switch and the fuel line disconnect. The fuel pump plate comes off with 2 screws and one wire disconnect. I'm pretty happy.

Comments and concerns cheerfully encouraged.

Very true, there is easily room for a few gallons there. Of course, then I'd have to figure out where to put the pump:silly:

bigtex wrote:
Very true, there is easily room for a few gallons there. Of course, then I'd have to figure out where to put the pump:silly:

Actually for the size of that pump, I believe it would fit in the tool box under the pillion??

The gravity issue was the second one I was wondering about, your solution is a good one.

Congrats, Tex, very elegantly done!!!

John in PA wrote:
Actually for the size of that pump, I believe it would fit in the tool box under the pillion??

I think you are exactly right, it would fit just fine. Well, it would if I didn't already use that space for my fuseblock :side:

fuzeblock001.jpg

Wayne Orwig wrote:
We need a fuel tank that sits in the space behind the right bag where you put the pump.

I agree, it's a lot of wasted space. A small fuel pump could reside next to the tool kit and pump the fuel to the main tank as needed or it could be mounted underneath the aux. fuel tank.

I was wondering if one of us would design a tank to fit in that area whether there would be enough interest in a group buy type of deal to help bring the cost down.

Look at the bright side of the equation; if the tank only held 2 gallons it would offset the weight of the muffle on the other side of the bike :woohoo:

I was thinking maybe a one gallon RotoPax tank mounted on the top of each sidecase. Or, like Wayne said, mount both on the right side to offset the weight of the muffler.

www.rotopax.com

Back