• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

850 Le Mans center stand mods

Dr. B.

Just got it firing!
I am having difficulty hoisting my '78 850 Le Mans up onto the center stand. I am not sure if the difficulty is due to my age and perhaps diminished physical condition (75) or if there is some basic flaw in the stand's design or location on the bike's frame. It is my perception that the stand on my Le Mans is similar to or very much the same as the stand on other Guzzi models of a similar vintage. In fact, I seem to recall deploying a stand of a similar design on my 1981 G-5, however, it is possible my memory is somewhat fuzzy on the matter. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a more easily effectuated method for utilizing the center stand without risking a hernia by standing on the little arm and trying to raise the back end using the hand-hold forward of the shock on the left side? Or perhaps can offer a modification to the stand which would simplify its use? Maybe even a suggestion as to an alternative stand that could replace the existing stand without adversely affecting the aesthetics or handling of the bike? I have already availed myself of the services of a local welder to modify the side stand so I can more easily reach it from the saddle, extend it forward and lean the bike on the ground. Doing so has now allowed me to ride the bike on a regular basis and: Ride it not Hide it. But routine maintenance is compromised without the ability to use the center stand, especially when it comes to tires and no dealers within the local area. Any help or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!

Hey Dr. B, I have found using body weight and some body straightening, standing on the very end of the center stand foot (at the curled end) and rolling the bike backwards works OK.
77 850 Lemans
72 Yrs. Geezer

I need a new design also. New ways to physically hoist the bike do not work (illness and weight/muscle loss)

(Old geezer also.)

A couple of thoughts: Place your foot on the end of the "curled" portion of the left leg of the centerstand, not the little tab that is used to flip the stand down. This requires you to shift your foot from the tab to the centerstand "foot" while keeping the stand from retracting. You also might want to look at the profile of your tires: A tire with a "shorter" profile will be harder to heave up on the centerstand.

Hey Dr. B, I have found using body weight and some body straightening, standing on the very end of the center stand foot (at the curled end) and rolling the bike backwards works OK.
77 850 Lemans
72 Yrs. Geezer
I have never thought to attempt the maneuver you suggest. However, if it works for you, it is worth a try.

A couple of thoughts: Place your foot on the end of the "curled" portion of the left leg of the centerstand, not the little tab that is used to flip the stand down. This requires you to shift your foot from the tab to the centerstand "foot" while keeping the stand from retracting. You also might want to look at the profile of your tires: A tire with a "shorter" profile will be harder to heave up on the centerstand.
Interesting comment regarding tire "profile". Currently the bike wears a Battlax BT 46 100/90 - 18 on the front and a Battlax BT 46 110/90 - 18 on the rear. I selected those tires/tubes according to the factory suggested specs.

Foot on the back of left centerstand is the trick I learned, not the easiest on bikes w/bags or loaded up. Easy if your stand is a bit stiff.
I have to widen mine so it clears the 160 rear, just another fix when doing a modded LM. I certainly do not want to rely on the sidestand.

Back