• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

850t shifter

derider

Just got it firing!
My first post here so first thing,Hello all and thanks for any help.
My shifter on my 1975 850t is just hanging low,i can shift gears by hand moving the bike back and forth.I believe the centralizer spring is broken.If this is the problem is there any way it can be repaired without taking the motor out of the bike?Any other suggestions for fixing this?

The attached photos show an external spring assembly which I purchased shortly after destroying several of the internal return springs. The bike was brand-new and I found myself taking it apart for that darn little spring. Supposedly a new spring will last but even though I had a chance to put it in I prefer the external arrangement. It originally came with two flat pieces for the spring but I managed to break those as well. Butter knives are an excellent substitute and work very well. I don't know if such a adaptation is still available and I couldn't even begin to tell you where to look.

You may have to down load the pictures to see the parts.

r2.jpg

return3.jpg

return1.jpg

return2.jpg

I put one of those external return spring devices on a T when I had one back in the 70s. I found using multiple blades (from a cheap feeler gauge) was more reliable than the two 0.050 inch pieces that came with the kit. I don't think the assembly is available any more. The new replacement springs hold up well. The job isn't that bad if you crab the frame and just take out the transmission. I've had a bit of practice and can do one in about four hours.

tewrecks said:
What is "crab the frame" ? Any pictures?

There are plenty of examples on the forum. Try a search. If you are unsuccessful, let me know and I'll try to find a picture. The tricky part is removing and installing the rear transmission cover. If you haven't done one before, find someone who has to assist, or just send the transmission to a reliable shop. Also a Haynes manual would be helpful. This would also be an excellent time to check the shimming on the shift drum. Check the archive section for Pete's explanation.

I have been taking the engine\transmission out of this bike since 1973. I've done it many times. I lived in Boston when I first bought the bike and the only way to store the bike in the winter, was take it apart and bring it into my apartment piece by piece over the winter and then restore it in the summer. Never once have I found a way to separate the transmission from the engine while it was still in the frame. I'm not saying that it's not possible but in the overall scheme of things it's just as easy to take everything out at one time than it is to screw around. But unless I can see some clear an easy way to remove the transmission from the engine while it's still in the frame it seems just as easy (to me) to take everything out. A picture(s) would help.

Pete's procedure has pictures. I use a slightly different technique, but similar results. Crabbing the frame takes about two hours off any job on the transmission, clutch, or rear main. But this won't save any time getting the pieces of your bike inside for the winter.

Back