• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'88 1000SP - Carburetors tuning

FinkBrau

Just got it firing!
Hi folks,

I have a slight carburetion issue on my 1000SP, the motor turns too fast when on idle, and the motor just can't take it when on full throttle. At first I thought it was just too rich, but adjusting the richness screw changes nothing to the idle rpm.

I tried to follow the instructions of the manual I found on guzzitek.org, which says I need to control the pressure on the exhausts outlets, but the thing is, whatever I do with the idle mixture screw, the left side has always much more pressure...

I don't know much about carburettors tuning, I've never done that before, so some advices would be much appreciated... Here are some additional infos:

- Left carb : VHB 30CS
- Right carb : VHB 30CD

Left sparkplug pic :
BOUG_G.JPG

Right sparkplug pic :
BOUG_DR.JPG

Oh and BTW, I just got my motorcycle driving licence this morning, and I want to ride the fuck outta my bike, BADLY. PLEASE, HELP ! :lol:

Thanks a lot,
Pierre.

Check the free play in the throttle cables and the choke cables for starters. ensure the slides can seat and seat evenly with the speed screws turned right out. Then turn in the speed screws until the bike will idle and both slides are hitting them at the same time, then use the mixture screws to produce an even idle on both cylinders.

The idle mixture screws are just that. they only affect the mixture at idle. Just off idle is controlled by slide cutaway, then from about 1/8th throttle to about 7/8'ths it is all down to needle profile and atomiser anulus, he last 1/th or so of opening is controlled by manifold depression and main jet.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I adjusted the slides so they're synchronised, and it seems now that my idle problem is gone. Now I have another one:
When the bike rolls, everything seems ok (didn't try the higher rpms yet, but still), but when I disengage the clutch, and release the throttle, the motor starts to turn faster, for a few seconds. Which results in a big kick in the ass when switching gears. Funny, but not so comfortable...

Any idea?

BTW, a few pics taken this morning :blush: :

GuzzHip1.JPG

GuzzHip2.JPG

Throttle cables are hanging up. Re route them so there are no tight bends. You can see in piv #1 that the angle where they go into the top of the carb is pretty acute. You can swivel the carbs slightly, (Not much more than 15 degrees or so.) so the tops point in to wards the centreline of the bike more and this will help but check the enire cable routing and the condition of the cables.

Nice looking bike. First thing I'd do would be piss off the 30mm VHB carbs and fit some 36mm PHF Dell Ortos.

pete

PS, t's not a '88. Roundfins went out of production in about '81 :mrgreen:

pete roper said:
Throttle cables are hanging up. Re route them so there are no tight bends. You can see in piv #1 that the angle where they go into the top of the carb is pretty acute. You can swivel the carbs slightly, (Not much more than 15 degrees or so.) so the tops point in to wards the centreline of the bike more and this will help but check the enire cable routing and the condition of the cables.

Nice looking bike. First thing I'd do would be piss off the 30mm VHB carbs and fit some 36mm PHF Dell Ortos.

pete

PS, t's not a '88. Roundfins went out of production in about '81 :mrgreen:

Yeah already thought about that, maybe one day... ;)

First mods coming are a pair of clip-ons and laser (or water) cut silencer support brackets and battery plate...

About the year, the frame (or at least some parts of it), are from a '88 Le Mans, and the bike is registered as one... I don't know anything about the rest, except that the guy who sold it to me did a really good job on the transformation and engine rebuilding, and was very careful with the bike :)

Anyway, thanks for the tip, I'll try that and keep you updated.

It's been riden quite a lot like that, without any problem. These bars go from one point of the motor, to one another, the bars' stiffness is balanced with the motor's stiffness. I've already seen this kind of mod on other bikes.

Anyway, back to my carburettors, it doesn't look like a cable issue, both sliders go up and down to the stop simultaneously. Did only try with motor stopped, though, but I don't think it's a problem.

Those plugs look really sooted

Are you sure you are running with the right plug for the engine?

Geoff

Back