• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

8v tank/OPS: Hot tips for the unmechanical?

rustyrotor

Tuned and Synch'ed
Why the hell is it that working on cars doesn't scare me, but my bikes do?

I just did the coolant pump/aorta/thermostat/fan belt on a Boxster. PITA, but no trepidation.
Maybe it's because it's not likely to kill me if I get it backwards.

Anyway, I want to get my Guzzis back on the road.

As of today, dealerships are out of the question in the mid-atlantic. I'm on my own.

The 8v is pissing oil. With the left side body panel removed and my left ear almost on the left fork, looking under the tank into the V, I can just see a fitting on the block, looks like dead center, aligned with the centerline of the cyl, seems to be pumping oil like a slit artery.

From the (thanks, GT!) diagram on this site, it looks to be the oil pressure sensor.
I hope it's just loose.
But I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Twice and on fire.

So I need to ask:

Likely issues? Likely fix? Any tips or warnings on tank/bodywork removal?

Also, the oil is BLACK and doesn't have 500 miles on it. Cause? Replace with?
Lastly, I will need to check valve lash. Major clatter on the LH side.
Did I hear something about a new factory spec?

Cheers!

Yes that is the oil pressure sensor. On my BREVA 1100 it was a PITA to get to even with the tank and airbox removed. Mine was not tight and the crush washer was not deformed!
I have read somewhere that it may be possible to reach it with an open end spanner (21 mm I think) if you remove the left-hand exhaust header.
The connector need not be removed as it is a push-on spade connector on to a circular terminal.
Do not remove the oil pressure unit as it is very difficult to get it back in without cross-threading. (How do i know?)

Cheers
Brian :)

Thanks, OFS. The crickets in here were deafening.

Unfortunately, the headers on the 8V appear to be paired permanently, so it would mean yanking much if not all of the exhaust. I'm going to try and get at it from above.

rustyrotor said:
Unfortunately, the headers on the 8V appear to be paired permanently, so it would mean yanking much if not all of the exhaust. I'm going to try and get at it from above.
You can easily pull one or both with removing the entire exhaust. The merge collector has a clamp hidden under the heat shield.
Try a search for your other questions, most are well covered. :pinch:

Groovy.

So far I've discovered that:

One of the rubber tank supports was overtorqued by somebody, and the only way to take the tank off was to destroy it.
There go 12 bucks. The little star washers (name?) that hold the fairings together are crap and like to fly off to god knows where.

There's tons of overcooked electricals in the V of the motor. Starting with the output side of the alternator, to the pump lead and others.

Poorly routed, maybe wrong materials too. But it's all working. Oh BTW my 95 Ford, my 99 Porsche, the 78 Le Mans, none of them exhibit any of this BS. To those who consider pointing these things out as 'moaning', tough.

Of greatest concern is the 90 degree orange fuel fitting on the bottom of the tank. It too has been in contact with something very hot, and has a major melted divot. Looks like a bike-b-q just waiting to happen.

The oil pressure fitting does indeed seem to be loose. I torqued it to spec, but it seemed to want to keep going...hope it's not stripped. I stopped while I was (cough!) ahead. I can't see where else the oil could be coming from.

Gorgeous, great riding bike, not well put together at the factory, and by the dealer who did the prep. End of story.

Will post pics asap.

Back