• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

97 Centauro

Dale Rush

Just got it firing!
Hey y'all, newbie here. Hopefully returning to the Guzzi fold if I do a trade for a 97 Centauro, 17k miles. Owner sounds fine & says it "starts good, runs strong but has some backfiring when rolling off/ downshifting". Pics look good & should do the meet soon. Watcha all think? I appreciate the feedback.

Much depends on condition. The back firing may be an exhaust leak. For tuning support contact Todd <at> guzzitech.com. Plan on immediately changing the cam belts, not because of miles, but because of age. Also check the DOT dates on the tires. If 5 years or older, replace them.

Thanks..I'm a self taught tinkerer & good detailer but I'm not a mechanic. Routine maintenance I get & can do most of but if this model is a constant source of parts replacing I'm wondering if it's for me???

Thanks..I'm a self taught tinkerer & good detailer but I'm not a mechanic. Routine maintenance I get & can do most of but if this model is a constant source of parts replacing I'm wondering if it's for me???

May not be the bike for you. For simplicity you may be much better off with a push rod twin. The EV/Tonti type bikes, 1100 Breva, or such.

Thks John..the complexity doesn't concern me, the reliability does. I've had CBX's when dealers were afraid of them & Harleys (the opposite & 1 now plus a Ural). I don't mind a relationship w/a character but not a pain in the ass. Still think that? Problem is, I've had a LOT of bikes & there aren't many that get me excited any more. The Centauro does.

John, or anyone , what're your thoughts on an '80 CX100 w/ 40K vs the '97 Centauro w/17K? Continued thks!

The 80 CX 100 would be easier to maintain and ride. The Centaro you don't ease out from a stop, you have to "launch it". The CX is a nice simple push rod twin. Again, it depends on condition of the bike.

Thanks for the plug John. Welcome to the fold Dale, and in advance into the GT Famiglia.
The Centauro is a bit more temperamental in the set up and maintenance compared to the CX obviously, but outside of slightly un-obtanium major engine parts for the older 4V motor (which would be a rare instance, but could happen), most of the owners really enjoy them. They do take some good set up and frequent maintenance, and the fueling can be sorted, but do plan on spending some money to make it right. Hope that helps.

I have a Daytona, pretty much the same drive train as the Centauro. It is one of my favorite Guzzi's. They do have a few known issues (pretty much all Guzzi's have those), but they are not exactly bombs waiting to explode either. I have the uprated oil pump but have not installed it yet. But then, I don't thrash it.
I would happily ride a Centauro over a CX100. but they are two very different drive trains.

Thanks GM..I'm long passed thrashing. I want the sound & the looks of a bike that increases my pulse when I look at it & listen to it. Not many do that after 56 of'em The Centauro does both. My thoughts were to get the Centauro, have it set up right & ride it like a sane 64 yr old.

That sounds like a plan to me.
I first rode my Daytona back in the early '90s when my buddy bought it brand new. I rode it the day he bought it and told him right then and there if he ever sells it I want to buy it. That was the first Guzzi I rode and it started the Guzzi bug in me. Later the wife and I bought her a V11, and I bought a Griso, but a few years back my buddy told me he was ready to sell me the Daytona and I bought it without hesitation. It is way more enjoyable to me then the Griso and just a little cooler than the V11. It has a raw hot rod feel that the Griso lacks, and it is faster then the V11, although it is close. The wifes Lario is also a really cool bike that a lot of people would shy away from, as it has an issue with the valve train. But some V11 blow up clutches, some CARC bikes lunch their oil pumps, with a Guzzi there is always the possibilty of something like that. But with proper care and corrective action taken to address any known flaws there is no reason why you can't happily ride a Guzzi for a long time. They are not for everybody, but for those they speak to they are typically keepers. The main reason my buddy sold me his was he had cancer and knew he only had a few years left. He is gone now but I will keep the Daytona until I die.

Nice story GM! I've had 3 Guzzis in the past; a V700, a true lemon Mille GT & a Jackal but it's been a few yrs. I've recently got the bug again. I'm trying to trade a low miles, well farkled, KLR 650 even for a nice Guzzi. I've had a couple responses this 1st week so I'm hopeful.

Back