• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

98 EV V-11 Front Fork Seal Removal

GaryS/EV11

Just got it firing!
This is my first post .....ever. First of all, am I posting in the right place for a ? about my EV?

Second, and most importantly, I am about to remove and replace the dust cover and front fork seals off my '98 Ev.

I have taken everything off the forks, including the fenders, calipers, etc.. I have removed the bolt on the bottom of the fork. The fluid has been drained. Now I think it is just the retaining ring that is holding the lower sleeve onto the fork arm. Now I just need to remove the dust scraper, retaining ring, and the seal ring.

Any tips before I hack away and ruin a fork arm?

Hi Gary, welcome. A fork seal is a fork seal regardless of bike... so you're in the right place with your post.

Assuming you have a manual to follow, nothing special to tell you on the removal. Installation is a bit more tricky as you can damage the seal of course. There are tricks that can be found online at www.GuzziTech.com, but a seal driver (or equal) is highly recommended for install. Best of luck.

The best way to not damage anything is to remove the big bolt in the bottom and remove teh innards and slider. With the fork tube out of the slider, you won't nick the tube and the seal is much easier to remove. I'm hoping you loosened the top nut before you removed the tubes from the triple clamp. Do not put the seal in before you re-assemble. Assemble the tube and innards, then lastly install the seal, ring and dust cover. I had a seal driver made from PVC pipe that does an excellent job. It is long enough to use good persuasion (hammer) to drive the seal home. Also the PVC won't damage the fork tube.

Gary,

I did my Stone last year (my first time) and put some pics here:

http://motoguzzimaintenance.wetpaint.com/page/Moto+Guzzi+Metal+Stone+Fork+Seal+Replacement

When you remove the bolt from the bottom of the leg - I had to buy a long Allen key socket to fit my 1/2" drive handle which sure beats those useless Allen keys - there's a washer in there, too. I didn't find out until after I'd reassembled it - it must have stayed stuck up there because it hasn't leaked!

Gary,

I forgot to mention to thoroughly inspect the fork tubes for damage.

Also when the job is done, install a set of these http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_c ... Id=&mmyId= I've not had a fork seal go bad since I started using the NOJ for gaiters 15 years ago. They keep dead bugs from collecting on the fork tubes, and prevent stone dings from damaging the tubes.

Back