• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

A whistling noise

organfixsing

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
B11, I have this whistling noise. I thought it was jus that I had made a useful modification to the screen and could now hear it, butm my wife heard it this afternoon and hadn't heard that noise before.
The noise comes in when the engine is on load. It is not present with the clutch pulled in/ It is not present on overrun. I think it may not occur in the top three gears but I cannot be certain of that.
Any clues anyone?
I have checked the engine oil level, OK. I have not checked the gearbox oil level.
Any help appreciaterd.
Cheers
Brian :? :?

Further on this noise, I have replaced the gearbox oil with 500cc of 75w-90 semi-synthetic. Unfortunately the noise is still there. Grrrrrr
Cheers
Brian :( :(

Back last century MG used a 9 ball race (from memory) on the main gear shaft and I believe this is adjacent to top gear cog.
Early this century they decided to save their balls, by using a 7 ball race instead.
My 01 Cali developed a whine in top gear after 20 or 30,000 kms, my mates Cali did the same.

My Bella (07 Carc 6 speed) has started to develop the same whine, very faintly at 22,000kms.

Years ago I enquired and Todd's "Beast", which has now done 100,000 miles was still whining away with nery a problem.

Todd and Pete Roper may confirm .......................... fit a louder pipe and keep riding!
Sold my Cali with 80,000kms - no problems. It only stopped using wee amounts of oil after a track day at 50,000kms.

Thanks Ghezzi, I can't afford a louder pipe but may replace the colostomy bag.

Cheers
Brian :D

I should add that Bella got a fresh dose of gear oil after she started whining.
At night in poor light, without my glasses the gearbox oil looked a little different to the differential oil.
Almost like it had a golden hew to it. Could it be bearing material?
Don't know don't care. I will continue riding and if I have any concerns of things amiss, I will drop the oil and have it tested.

If it wears out, blows up, fails or whatever, I'll rebuild it. Or I'll send it to Mr Roper for special love. :D
Then, I'll keep riding my Bella.

A bit further on this, the wistling is not road speed related but engine speed related, It is related to putting load on the motor with the clutch. Most noticeable at low speed in 1st gear. As the speed rises, so does the wind noise and the whine becomes less evident,
I had measured out 500cc of gear oil but perhaps a little more oil may help? Any suggestions?
Cheers
Brian :?

Yes. A simple suggestion.

Stop looking for problems that don't exist.

I'm sorry, Ghezzi's theory is based on another issue in a completely different gearbox filled with completely different components. The Nuovo Six Speed, both V1 as used in the pushrod bikes and V2 used in the 8V have proven to be virtually impregnable. The ONLY ones I've ever had to go into, two in seven years, have had assembly problems. The design is bulletproof. Just loom at the Internet forums. How many litanies of woe on the gearbox? Well?

Do you have any sort of problem? No idea, but I doubt it!. Do you have a gearbox problem? How many miles do you have on it? What year. What sort of use and service history does it have?

FWIW V3 of this gearbox hasn't been around for long but so far it shows no signs of being any more problematic than V1 or V 2.

Pete

check the carc rear bevel box oil level. If its low i'tl whine guess how I know.

G'day Pete

The bike is a 2005 BREVA ST with 29,400 Km on it.
The previous owner bought it in December 2005. The service log book shows servicing at 998 Km 16/12/2005, 7954 Km 8/11/2007, 13878 Km 9/1/2009, 24702 Km 29/9/2010.
I bought it 14/01/2013 with 28,253 Km on the clock.

Perhaps he may have given himself a fright on it and didn't ride it much anymore.

I had lots of hassles with learning to ride again after 43 or so years. (The previous bikes I had all had left foot brake and right foot gearchange!). I eventually had it transported to ROMA.

I have change all the oils, engine, 10W-70, Gearbox & CARC, 80W-90, set the engine tappets, tuned using Centurion and balanced the throttles with a unique ball bearings/clear tubing balancing gadget from England (works well).
I have changed the fork oil seals. Greased the swingarm needle bearings.

The gearbox was filled with a measured 500mL 80W-90 Oil.
The CARC serial is 64237702796 which should have been recalled but apparently wasn't but has not caused any problems to date.

As I said in my earlier post, the whistle appears to be engine speed related, not road speed related, which puts it down to something in the engine, the primary gears, the clutch or the mainshaft of the gearbox. It only occurs when the engine is actually driving the bike forward, i.e. when the engine is on load.

Any light on this would be much appreciated

Cheers
Brian :| :geek:

If the CARC you have is in the recall range, it may still be replaced by Guzzi. I suggest you check with your nearest dealer.

If it is within the recall range then I'd get it swapped as there is a very high likelihood the bearing will fail. Since your bike is a making a weird noise I'd suggest it may already be failing.

The thing is the bike IS now seven years old and I wouldn't expect the factory to keep honouring the recall much longer. I mean? How many years can you expect a company to keep looking at in issue like this if people don't take their bikes to dealers to be serviced so the problem isn't identified to be dealt with?

Where are you? Look up the nearest dealer on the Motoguzzi Australia site and take it in and ask them to submit a claim. You'll need vin # and CARC # and all your and the bikes details. If you're lucky you'll get a new drive.

Pete

G'day Pete
Thanks for the reply, but my nearest dealer is approx 500Km away. I am in ROMA, 500K west/northwest of Brisbane. For parts, I usually deal with Tom Newell. I don't feel confident yet that I have enough experience yet to undertake such a trip.
Note that the noise is engine speed related, not road speed related.

Cheers
Brian :roll:

G'day Peter
After your prompting, I rang Tom Newell. He took a copy of the VIN number which is apparently all they want. I guess they can tell from that number whether the CARC has been replaced before.
If they will replace it, I can make a packing box for the CARC and freight it to Tom.

Thanks for stirring me into action.

Cheers

G'day Pete
Saw your private message but I didn't seem to be able to reply.
The bike is a 2005 BREVA 1100ST.
VIN ZGULP000X5M112732
CARC 64237702796

Cheers
Brian :)

Re CARC, Tom replied that there was no record of the CARC being changed in Australia but enquiries made of the factory assure me that it has been changed at the factory?
As regards the whistle which occurs intermittently, when I pulled the front cover off to inspect/change the alternator belt, it seemed to me to be horribly tight. This may explain the whistle. I had bought a 4PK-750 belt which unfortunately is too long and cannot be adjusted. Luckily the original Guzzi belt was in good condition.
I ordered, and received, a 4PK-740 belt from Super-Cheap, around $27 from them as against around $38 from Repco. Both are Gates belts

Cheers
Brian :) :)

Brian I think you will find that 'extremely tight' is the status quo. There are a couple of posts here on this and the factory tensioning tool (one from Phang in Singapore and Raphael) if I'm remembering correctly. You have spurred me into thinking about replacing mine now at 40,000 km on my 8v griso :idea:
:idea: Perhaps you could take the bike for a ride with the belt cover off to see(sic)hear if the sound is different
:idea: It could also possibly be an altenator bearing
:idea: Could it come from the induction hardware not fitting together correctly
:idea: Try moving around on the bike with your visor up to try to isolate the noise souce. Use a low traffic area/time of day

G'day Contractor29 & Guz5
I think you may be right with intake leaks. I have found \, according to spark plugs, that the right cylinder appears to fuel correctly where the left cylinder runs rich.
My theory is that as I don't use the bike above 40% throttle normally, I am using the O2 sensor to adjust the fueling, If there were an air leak on the right hand intake, it would make that cylinder run lean and so affect the average fueling. Therefore, the ECU would wind up the fueling overall and thus produce a rich effect on the left cylinder. I will have to remove/lift the tank to investigate.Grrr....

Cheers
Brian :) :)

I have come across whistling and leaking inlet manifolds before and I find the affected area by applying a small jet of propane from a bottle via a1/16 th ID brass tubing on a hose, to the gasket and sealing areas, injector o rings etc.
If a leak is detected the engine will either stall or idle faster, depends on the leak.
Obviously the engine needs to be started.
Dismantling is not necessary to find a leak. It wil only be on the engine side of the throttle butterfly.

Well Guz5, I think you may have hit the nail on the head.
I haven't noticed the whistling for a little while now but, according to the spark plugs, the right hand pot is running much leaner than the left (which is running rich).
The whistling was only evident at low revs, low throttle and under load. This being the case, it would make sense that the motor is trying to get the air from anywhere it can, so the leak whistles.
The can of propane is a good idea. I will try it this coming week and post the result here.

Cheers

Back