Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

Abnormal vibrations after letting off the throttle - 2017 V9 Bobber

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by S247, Jun 4, 2019.

1. S247

S247 Just got it firing!

Hello,

I hope that someone here might be able to provide an answer as to my issue.

Bike:
    2017 V9 Bobber

Issue:
    When I let off the throttle, it seems to chug for a moment and a large amount of vibrations occur. This doesn't seem to happen every time I let go of the throttle, more so when I let go suddenly rather than letting it down gently. This didn't occur before that trip on the rough road. Yes, suddenly letting off the throttle likely isn't good for the bike but it didn't seem to cause the bike any grief previously. Nothing appears to be loose on the bike. It might be the right exhaust the issue is occurring on, however it is difficult to tell for sure but that was my impression while sitting on the bike. When I let off the throttle gingerly I can mostly mitigate the problem.

Scenario:
    The issue occurred last week, and might be related to me going on a rough road with the bike. While the bike isn't designed for it I wanted to take it on a gravel road in the nearby mountains. This road is about 60 KM long, and quite rough at points - full of potholes and washboard surfaces. At times, I'm sure I hit a few of these holes too fast and might be the reason for the issue.

Throttling up doesn't seem to have a negative affect, and it seems to have otherwise normal characteristics while riding. Familiar power and similar fuel economy. The day after the rough ride I took it on a trip about 600 KM total. I didn't really notice the issue until the last 50 KM or so of the trip, back when I got to the city. Most likely as I was riding consistently between 100-110 KM/H and gradually came to stops for most of the trip.

Anyway, I will likely be taking it to my local dealer next week, however I was hoping that someone here might be able to provide some insight into the issue. If you require more details, I will do my best to provide them.

Thanks in advance!

-Jeff

2. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Where/How do you feel the vibrations?
    IE: Handlebars shaking OR feel it thru the seat & up the back bone OR thru the foot pegs etc....

Is there a noise associated with the vibration?

How long does the vibration last?

What gear & what speed are you at when letting off the throttle?

S247 likes this.
  3. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I reckon your suspicions are correct. Check those exhaust pipes.

S247 likes this.
  4. S247

S247 Just got it firing!

Here's a short video with the issue audible.

As for how the vibrations feel it seems to be felt throughout the bike, believe it's the right exhaust. I pushed the exhausts around and while neither felt loose the noise was less present after. I'm going to take it for a short ride in a bit to see if it's any different and to provide better detail.

Side note: what's a good way to remove the warning stickers?

5. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Sounds like one of the heat shield bolts is loose.

S247 likes this.
  6. S247

S247 Just got it firing!

Hah, that was it, it's missing the bolt completely! I hadn't noticed it before, wasn't paying enough attention.

Thanks!

received_636982843455901.jpeg received_331020690900180.jpeg

7. Trout

Trout GT Reference

I love simple solutions.

S247 likes this.